Deaf adopting

MoonCrest33

Reaction score
Ok some time I am really curious about how the adoption is done when a Deaf person wants to adopt a child, be the child hearing, HOH, or Deaf? I know when adopting you have to go through so many test and background check just make sure you are a safe responsible adult. One particular inspection is the home inspection? As a Deaf person do you have to have and interpreter present at this time? If so how would their interpreting help? What would you want them to do? Are there other times in the process when an interpreter is needed? I would really like to know how much involvement the interpreter has in the process. Do they usually use the same interpreter for each part of the adoption process?

Since I'm oral deaf, there were just a few times when I required an intrepretor, but of course, had one in Court on the adoption day in front of the Judge, Mayor and audience.....

As for Home Checks, I don't see where one is really needed, especially when they do this at random times, you never know when they are gonna check up on you.....so scheduling an intrepretor would be a little difficult there.....actually, I had a very nice and good experience(s) with any/all visits...and at times the HRS worker would take the boys out to McD's....not only to be nice, but also to get their input (away from me)......

I also learned not to sweat the small stuff, like dishes in the sink, or doing housework whenever there was a random check.....The only concern (it seemed) was my ability to be able to communicate well with my boys and their needs and well-being were my first priority. We passed that with flying colors, as I taught my boys some simple ASL, and they understood my speech also.

Ok some time I am really curious about how the adoption is done when a Deaf person wants to adopt a child, be the child hearing, HOH, or Deaf? I know when adopting you have to go through so many test and background check just make sure you are a safe responsible adult. One particular inspection is the home inspection? As a Deaf person do you have to have and interpreter present at this time? If so how would their interpreting help? What would you want them to do? Are there other times in the process when an interpreter is needed? I would really like to know how much involvement the interpreter has in the process. Do they usually use the same interpreter for each part of the adoption process?

http://www.alldeaf.com/introduce-yo...iews-questions-surveys-please-read-first.html

I knew a deaf guy at NTID who was adopted by deaf parents... who were also adopted themselves.

I want to adopt someday. I want to adopt deaf kids. I don't think I will ever get to though, at least not while I'm single.

I want to adopt someday. I want to adopt deaf kids. I don't think I will ever get to though, at least not while I'm single.

Is that because you think it would be too much to do while single? Or some other reason.

It's much easier than it used to be for single parents to adopt.

thanks

Since I'm oral deaf, there were just a few times when I required an intrepretor, but of course, had one in Court on the adoption day in front of the Judge, Mayor and audience.....

Thank you for your quick reply. i saw for post on a few other forums too, such as when it can to a single Deaf woman wanting to adopted. I really appreciate the amount of information you are willing to share about adopting.

I'm hearing and I'm adopting a hearing child, so I'm not sure if my advice will be useful.. but I know that if you adopt through the state fostercare program that they cannot discriminate against you purely on the basis of your deafness. (They can't discriminate on the basis of race or religion either, but... they do anyway.)

Even though it's illegal to discriminate, I still think you may face significant challenges, particularly if you get an ignornant or mean-spirited case worker. I'm betting that they'd be delighted to place deaf children in your care but if you got a hearing child they'd try to remove that kiddo even if you were strongly bonded and the kid was thriving.

I'm betting that they would want to use an interpreter during the home study and for any meetings and court dates. (The home study is different than just the visits to the home - a home study is the name for the entire evaluation they do on you, your relationship, your home, your finances, all that.)

But that's all just the fostercare system. THere are other ways to adopt. You can adopt through a private agency or do an international adoption. I say try to find local resources - see if you can track down someone who is deaf and has adopted who lives near you and who can help you navigate the adoption process.

Thanks so much for the advice I trying to but I can't seem to ever find someone that has adopted here. However I do have a new lead so hopefully it will work out

Back