Daughter's HA appointment

Glad it went well :) Phonaks are cool, I've only ever worn Phonaks :)

I think she'll be fine with an ipod or something else to keep her busy, it's really nothing. the Audi takes a tiny piece of cotton with string tied to it and puts that far in my ear canal. Then she takes some blue stuff and some white stuff, then squishes it together in her hands until it's blended. Then she puts it in a fat syringe (no needle) and squirts it in my ear. Wait a bit and she takes it out. Voila!

My audi even lets me play with the extra while I wait for the stuff in my ear to harden. :D She also uses the blue & white stuff.

My audi even lets me play with the extra while I wait for the stuff in my ear to harden. :D She also uses the blue & white stuff.

When I was a child, my Audi used to make animals out of the left overs or a bouncy ball as its bounces very well :D

What her audi used was pink colored and in a syringe... Not sure if the consistency is the same or not- this stuff looked pretty messy until it really started to set up.

What her audi used was pink colored and in a syringe... Not sure if the consistency is the same or not- this stuff looked pretty messy until it really started to set up.

It's the same whether pink or blue. It's in two parts, colored and white, then gets mixed, which starts the chemical reaction to solidify it.

Finished with the appointment! YAY! She did AMAZING with the molds- no fussing or shying away and did not even try to touch them while they were drying. :) She will be getting Phonaks (not sure of the rest of the name- the names for these things are so long!) with the aid part in light pink (I was looking at the clear purple but my husband thought pink would match most of her clothes best) and a light blue ear mold for now (these will probably be changed in six months because of her growing). Hopefully they will look nice with those colors- hubby really picked the colors (she didn't even care about that part) and said since most of her clothes are some sort of blue or pink that those two colors should be good. Now hopefully she will wear them once we get them (with as good as she did with the molds, I am hoping that means she will be good with wearing them).

I think hearing aids are like glasses, if they really need them, they will wear them. Just pay attention to her not wanting to wear them because the fit might be off or they are set too loud. You may have to really work with her to help her find the right words to tell you why they "hurt". Maybe ask if they hurt like a rock in your shoe (fit) or if they hurt like the TV is too loud, that kind of thing.

I'm glad it went so well :) Sounds like she won't have a problem wearing them from a physical perspective. Just remember it's normal for ER to be overwhelmed from the sound at first, so the Audi will likely have you work up to ER wearing it more and more time each day.

Finished with the appointment! YAY! She did AMAZING with the molds- no fussing or shying away and did not even try to touch them while they were drying. :) She will be getting Phonaks (not sure of the rest of the name- the names for these things are so long!) with the aid part in light pink (I was looking at the clear purple but my husband thought pink would match most of her clothes best) and a light blue ear mold for now (these will probably be changed in six months because of her growing). Hopefully they will look nice with those colors- hubby really picked the colors (she didn't even care about that part) and said since most of her clothes are some sort of blue or pink that those two colors should be good. Now hopefully she will wear them once we get them (with as good as she did with the molds, I am hoping that means she will be good with wearing them).

I'm so glad your daughter did so well. The hard appointment will be when she is fitted with her hearing aids.
You didn't mention how severe her hearing loss is but as an adult with progressive severe to profound hearing loss, when my hearing aids are adjusted it feels like the world has suddenly stopped making sense. It honestly takes me a week or so to get used to the new sound.

Before your daughter's fitting appointment make sure she understands that there will be many things happening and that it might seem scary. Let her know that sounds might seem too loud or that she might hear things she doesn't know about (clicky pens freaked me out for a while...mostly because I used to click those pens constantly and didn't know they made a noise).
Make sure she understands that there will be many new experiences but that you and her dad are there and that she can take a break if she feels overwhelmed.

I think hearing aids are like glasses, if they really need them, they will wear them. Just pay attention to her not wanting to wear them because the fit might be off or they are set too loud. You may have to really work with her to help her find the right words to tell you why they "hurt". Maybe ask if they hurt like a rock in your shoe (fit) or if they hurt like the TV is too loud, that kind of thing.

I think you are right in general but I wear both glasses and super power hearing aids. I can't imagine a day without my glasses BUT glasses can completely correct vision.
Hearing aids most certainly can not correct hearing.
Sensorineural hearing loss comes with distortion and wacky loudness scales. Without my glasses, I can't see much but with them my vision is 20/30. Without my hearing aids I can't understand speech, with them I can understand some speech but many sounds are physically painful and there is so much distortion. (My hearing is bad enough that a cochlear implant is probably the best solution of me.)

Just realize that glasses and hearing aids are not at all equal. Glasses can completely correct vision. Haring aids can completely correct mild conductive hearing loss but any Sensorineural hearing loss can't be compensated for purely by amplification.

I think you are right in general but I wear both glasses and super power hearing aids. I can't imagine a day without my glasses BUT glasses can completely correct vision.
Hearing aids most certainly can not correct hearing.
Sensorineural hearing loss comes with distortion and wacky loudness scales. Without my glasses, I can't see much but with them my vision is 20/30. Without my hearing aids I can't understand speech, with them I can understand some speech but many sounds are physically painful and there is so much distortion. (My hearing is bad enough that a cochlear implant is probably the best solution of me.)

Just realize that glasses and hearing aids are not at all equal. Glasses can completely correct vision. Haring aids can completely correct mild conductive hearing loss but any Sensorineural hearing loss can't be compensated for purely by amplification.

Well, true, but like I said in my post, the mom needs to help her D understand all of that. I've worn hearing aids for 18 years, I understand their downfalls, scheduled for CI's in a month :D.

Her hearing loss is moderate to severe (the loss dips right into the profound range on her left ear for the 4000hz but other than that everything else is moderate/severe). I will definitely do my best to explain to her what will be happening and we will take breaks from the hearing aids as she needs them. We are not sure at the moment what type of loss she has or what caused it, so I don't really know if her's is conductive or sensorineural at this moment. The aids she is getting are digital, which the audi said is nice because they can set them to adjust for the differences in her loss (amplifying the small losses just a little bit and the bigger losses more, is the way I understood it).

Her hearing loss is moderate to severe (the loss dips right into the profound range on her left ear for the 4000hz but other than that everything else is moderate/severe). I will definitely do my best to explain to her what will be happening and we will take breaks from the hearing aids as she needs them. We are not sure at the moment what type of loss she has or what caused it, so I don't really know if her's is conductive or sensorineural at this moment. The aids she is getting are digital, which the audi said is nice because they can set them to adjust for the differences in her loss (amplifying the small losses just a little bit and the bigger losses more, is the way I understood it).

I am fairly sure you have enough experience as a parent to know if you tell her it may be scary, painful, etc that you would be causing fear and setting her up to think it is scary or painful.

She will tell you if she thinks anything of that sort. It's likely she won't.

I am fairly sure you have enough experience as a parent to know if you tell her it may be scary, painful, etc that you would be causing fear and setting her up to think it is scary or painful.

She will tell you if she thinks anything of that sort. It's likely she won't.

I agree...

Has her Audi not done a bone conduction test on her? If he/she has, then you (or rather the Audi since you don't know) would know her type of loss (sensorial vs. conductive). If the bone conduction results are the same as the pure tone air conduction results, then her loss is sensorial. If the bone conduction results are normal, then her loss is conductive. If the bone conduction results are anywhere in-between, then her loss is mixed.

I am not sure if they have done the bone conduction tests. I know the audi who did the ABR said they were unable to do it because she started to wake up from the sedation. I am not sure if some of the tests the audi did yesterday were for bone conduction or not- they didn't say. I will ask when we go back on the 29th and see if they have done it and know if it is sensorineural or conductive. I am finding that if I don't ask specific questions then sometimes I don't get very specific answers :).

Back