datatech

datatech

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been a hearing person all of my life and now at the age of 54 I have become deaf from Menier's Disease. My left ear is totally gone and my right ear is about 80% gone and whatever I can hear is garbled and distorted and I try to use a hearing aid but that just makes sound louder but is still distorted and I cannot understand most of it. I've lost my career/job because of this and had to go on disability, which is nowhere near enough to survive on so I am using my life savings for the rest. When that runs out I'll have nothing (materially).

I can talk perfectly, but forget about hearing.

Maybe I can get a job working with computers because I enjoy that as I have been an electronics tech since 18, and using XP PRO for around 10 years?

I am on disability and was wondering if I can get compTIA + cert and network cert on disability?

PLEASE help with advise.

Thank you very much :)

--
datatech

welcome to AD! for me, I lost 50% as a baby and now I'm around the 60-70%

hope you enjoy us peeps xD

I too have menier's. Pretty much the exact opposite of fun. :(
Contact your state's department of vocational rehabilitation. They exist for exactly these issues, getting people with disabilities back to work. I have an appointment with them on the 11th to see about new aids and an electronic/amplified stethoscope as even the best non-amplified ones aren't working for me anymore.

I have meniere's as well. I have hearing aids, but like you said, it just makes things louder, not clearer. I've lost about 50% in my right ear and 40% in the left, and I'm working at a fast food restaurant. Even if/when I go completely deaf, I hope to still be working. Maybe you could work on reading lips, it's helped me.

Welcome.

Find out if your VR department will pay for your schooling. In my state (SC), deaf college students get their schooling paid for, as long as they maintain their GPA, and have a specific occupation goal.

If you do go to college, be sure to request adaptive aids and services. Fortunately, if your major is in an IT field, many/most of those classes are available on-line, which eliminates the need for some adaptations.

Also, to make life easier, check into your state's deaf services for free adapted telephone equipment and services. You could probably use a voice-over phone (captions for incoming, your voice for outgoing).

I hope things work out for you. :)

Back