D.V.D movies

DeafAlwAyZRawKs

Reaction score
:crazy: I think the Digital video disk company is way stupid, because every DVDS i buy or watch, and i need captions... It always comes up to

subtles

for the hearing impared.

i was like ?! whyy? if we deaffies invent a DVD, should we do this

subtles

for the deaf impared?

???? stupid people! :shock:

Originally posted by DeafAlwAyZRawKs
:crazy: I think the Digital video disk company is way stupid, because every DVDS i buy or watch, and i need captions... It always comes up to

subtles

for the hearing impared.

i was like ?! whyy? if we deaffies invent a DVD, should we do this

subtles

for the deaf impared?

???? stupid people! :shock:

It's not the DVDs, it's the DVD player that you bought. You bought the WRONG DVD player.

Hrm....I've seen some DVD movies on the back saying "English/French/Spanish Subtitles for Hearing Impaired"

Also I just checked a movie, Mummy 2, and it says Subtitles for Hearing Impaired on both of my DVD players. Even it does that on my dvd rom. I guess it is the wordings created by the DVD movie publishers.

Oh I made a mistake.

You're actually upset over the words, hearing impaired on the DVDs?

Get a grip!

I am not upset, im just wondering WHY, why dont they just say "deaf subtles" instead of saying "hearing impared"

and banjo, calm down. dont jump into conclusions :)

Hearing Impaired is a professional and more general aimed at both Deaf and Hard of Hearing people. If someone said Deaf, would it include Hard of Hearing people? Probably not.

/me shrugs

Originally posted by DeafAlwAyZRawKs
I am not upset, im just wondering WHY, why dont they just say "deaf subtles" instead of saying "hearing impared"

and banjo, calm down. dont jump into conclusions :)

Okay, personally...

Hearing-Impaired is just the same as Deaf, but it's just two words and it take longer to type them down.

Hearing-Impaired is a medical term, and a lot of people use it in order to refer to these who are deaf.

It's Subtitles, not Subtles... just pointing it out.

But there are some DVDs that use the word, deaf instead of hearing-impaired. But there's no needs to make a big deal of these things.

:werd: I don't have any prolem with it. Unless if you saw the special feature for deaf people in the special DVD edition of Monty Python's Holy Grail

:laugh2:

I don't see a difference if they say Deaf or hearing impaired. Hearing impaired is more "politacally correct" in the hearing world. You should see the looks I get when I call my deaf friends deaf or deaffies sometimes. LOL.

Yeah, sadly, hearies will still call you hearing impaired even if you asked them to call you as a deaf person. When I was working in Sears, sometimes I saw my co-workers telling customers that I were "hearing impaired." I always corrected them, and said "No, I am deaf." The customers always were looking at us and saying huh? :laugh2:

I would just rather for the DVD to say subtitled in English, without the word "for the hearing impaired."

kuifje, thats my point! thanks!! i want it to be plain and simple with out saying, IMPAIRED, its kinda weird you know..

I have no problem with them as long they provide subtitles.. easier for me to understand the whole movie..

Who gives? :dunno:
Just be glad that they have it on dvds... otherwise we will be watching without cc or subtitles..
be happy.. and accept it..
:P

@ Msgiglz

Totally I am happy about it. Not complaining here ;) Just a mere wish, that's all. Even if a DVD has close captioning symbol on it, I still watch with subtitles anyway.

Incidentially, on the Region 2 DVDs I have from France, it does say: "Soustirage pour les sourds et malentendants" (Subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing) I do prefer the French subtitles, because each character has different colour, it's easier to see who is talking.

Originally posted by kuifje75
@ Msgiglz

Totally I am happy about it. Not complaining here ;) Just a mere wish, that's all. Even if a DVD has close captioning symbol on it, I still watch with subtitles anyway.

Incidentially, on the Region 2 DVDs I have from France, it does say: "Soustirage pour les sourds et malentendants" (Subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing) I do prefer the French subtitles, because each character has different colour, it's easier to see who is talking.

I agree that English should be using different colors to figure out who is saying what. There's still parts of subtitles that is missing compared to CC. Like (gunshots) on CC. It don't say that on subtitles for most of the movies.

Some like in Tomb Raider, I saw a telephone icon showign that it was (ringing) when I went to a big movies with open captions. It is pretty decent usage of subtitle compared to CC.

Originally posted by SilenceGold
There's still parts of subtitles that is missing compared to CC. Like (gunshots) on CC. It don't say that on subtitles for most of the movies.

You are right, English subtitles do miss out on the sounds. It is funny, when I am with my hearing friends watching DVD movies, my friend would tell me "the phone rang" and I would go ohhh! I would have never thought of that LOL. I sometimes forget this world has sounds! Those "English for hearing impaired" usually includes the sounds in the DVD, whereas "English" doesnt? I know the French subtitles on Region one DVDs don't include sounds on some DVDs. In Region 2 DVDs, a special colour is for sounds.

I do not like subtitle cuz it sound not right system for deaf cuz for example subtitle never put their name then what he/she said
CC do that. that's why I perfer CC on it. :mrgreen:

Back