Currently looking for new job have question about deaf and on call 24/7

bossyman15

Reaction score
As title says if the job i'm looking at requires me to be on call 24/7 how would that work for me as deaf person? I would like to hear from people here who have that kind of job. How did you handle it?

I googled it but found no answer so this is good time for people to share their experience on this issue.

As title says if the job i'm looking at requires me to be on call 24/7 how would that work for me as deaf person? I would like to hear from people here to have that kind of job. How do you handle it?

I googled it but found no answer so this is good time for people to share their experience on this issue.

Use devices to wake you up when phone calls come in.

yeah i understand that but i don't have phone. I only have cell phone which i will not sleep with in risk of it breaking and Sorenson VRS.

You can get a bed shaker device that senses your cell phone ring. You can leave your phone on the bedside table.

^^^ I don't even use these stuff, so I don't know how good they are.

perhaps someone else can chime in.

I don't know about the particular products posted but I've had good experiences with other products from Harris.

I wonder if VR or state services for the deaf, such as the TEDP might be able to provide something?

I'm on 24/7 call with my job. I gave specific instructions only during middle of the night, to all my employees is to call me through regular cell phone number, the reason of doing this is to allow to play loud music on the phone so my MasterAlert microphone can pick it up and create flashing lamp and vibrate the bed same time. Once I'm awake then I use the VP to call back. There are rare occasion (maybe 2 times in the last 8 years) that someone called me in the middle of the night and it's a wrong number. During the day, they can call me via relay.

Back