ct scan results

Welcom back Hear Again! It's good they didnt find anything on your CT but its not when u dont still know what was the cause of having to turn 12 of your electrodes off?

I only have 20 electrodes, I had my ci in 2000 and cant remember how many electrodes I was supposed to have

Deafteen you probably have the 22 electrodes like mine. I have 4 off. I wouldn't worry as the signals spreads over to the remaining electrodes.

Hearagain, Just don't get into trouble again! i was worried! I avoid political areas hence only comes on this section (maybe general, perhaps News but only on a good day)

Deafteen you probably have the 22 electrodes like mine. I have 4 off. I wouldn't worry as the signals spreads over to the remaining electrodes.

Hearagain, Just don't get into trouble again! i was worried! I avoid political areas hence only comes on this section (maybe general, perhaps News but only on a good day)

I'm sure when I was implanted they told me i was having 22 or 24 i cannot remember which. When i first got my ci i first had the esprit 22

All this talk about electrodes is a bit confusing so can someone give me a little heads up on it. I'm thinking it has to do with the tail end of the implant that is in the Cochlea. Reason I ask is I've resently been scheduled to see a local audi by my counslor to see if I'm a good canidate for CI.

fozzy,

yes, that's correct. a ci consists of 22 electrodes (or in the case of advanced bionics, 16) which stimulate the auditory nerve. the electrodes that are furthest away from the cochlea stimulate the low frequencies while those that are closest to it stimulate the highest frequencies.

deafteen and all,

i heard from my audi today. she said that they (she, my ci surgeon and cochlear) don't know what caused my dizziness, but reassured me that my ct scan results show that my ci's haven't migrated. i can honestly say that i feel better now about this entire experience since i'm hearing better than i have in 4 years. :D who would have thought that could happen after turning off 12 electrodes?

Are your audi letting you keep your 12 electrodes off?

Because you said your actually hearing a lot more and if they switch them back on, you may not hear as well.

Thanks for letting us know!

deafteen,

well, my audi wants to see me for a follow-up appointment, so i contacted her this morning to do that. i'm hoping she won't turn any of the 12 electrodes back on because i don't think there's any point in changing what works. as the saying goes, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." if she insists on reactivating them, i will have to find a different audi because i don't want to sacrifice the excellent hearing i'm now enjoying. having said that, i don't think my audi would force me to turn them back on, but still... i'll be sure to let all of you know what happens at my follow-up appointment. i'm almost certain that i will be given a hearing test to determine how well i'm hearing as well as whether or not i'm continuing to experience any dizziness. my audi did say that since 12 electrodes have been turned off, i won't hear as well and my audiogram will reflect that in terms of showing lower decibel levels than before.

hi everyone,

i heard from my audi and my follow-up appointment is on wednesday. i'll be sure to let all of you know how it goes!

welcome back! missed seeing you around here!
as i've learned from you and everyone else...if your audi insists on doing something that's not right for you, time to find a new one! hopefully it all works out well!!!

welcome back! missed seeing you around here!
as i've learned from you and everyone else...if your audi insists on doing something that's not right for you, time to find a new one! hopefully it all works out well!!!

thanks! i don't think my audi will force me to have the 12 electrodes turned back on, but if she does, i will definitely find another audi if i can't convince her otherwise. she seems to be a very nice person who understands the importance of good hearing, so i don't think i have anything to worry about.

Hey! Glad you're back!

NRT - Basically it's supposed to be done right after implantation in OR to make sure that that all the electrodes are responding to the nerves.

Since you can't see, I can't tell you what to look for. Best bet is to ask your audiologist if the NRT was ever done. The audiologist should be able to tell if it was done by seeing the blue bars. The Green bars (which is what the mapping is all about, and your threshold) SHOULD meet up with the blue bars somewhat. There may be some small differences between the blue and the green. This is exactly how my audiologist figured out that electrode 12 was out of compliance (it was working, but my nerve at that spot was hypersensitive...once it was turned off, the horrible SHARP vowels went away).

It just may be that the 12 electrodes that has been overstimulating your nerves, causing dizziness and all that.

The NRT is NOT the threshold beep test where audiologist do this at the beginning where you have to raise your hand no matter how soft you hear it. The NRT is not exactly pleasant either because you have to tolerate really loud sounds. The computer does the work. It took about 15 to 20 minutes for all 22. NRT is usually done for very young children who cannot communicate in any way of what they can hear and what they can't.

I hope I gave some insight. For some reason, I didn't have NRT done during surgery (I think it's because I had it done at a general hospital, not "CI surgery room" with all the equipment), or after surgery because I am not a child.

Oh before I forget, please ask your audiologist if she thinks you should have the NRT done because of your experiences. You would have to tolerate such a high volume beep that it may cause more trouble than it's worth. I just read to keep my mind off of it, but when it hit number 12, it was very painfully loud.

lady,

i don't want to go through that. i think i'll pass on the nrt. so far, my audi hasn't mentioned doing an nrt, so i don't think i need to worry.

lady,

is the nrt the same as an integrity test? during the first month i was activated with my first ci, i had an integrity test done. if the nrt involves any degree of pain, i think i'll pass. i had enough pain and dizziness after doing a hearing test and an electrode sweep of both ci's.

i'm pretty sure that my audi will conduct another hearing test on wednesday. part of me is curious to find out how much my hearing has changed ever since the 12 electrodes have been turned off, but the other part of me is scared because i don't want to experience dizziness again when my audi plays the high frequency beeps. she turned all frequencies down several notches, so perhaps that won't be a problem, but i'm still a little worried. when my audi played high frequency beeps during the hearing test and did an electrode sweep of both ci's, i thought i was going to pass out.

lady,

is the nrt the same as an integrity test? during the first month i was activated with my first ci, i had an integrity test done. if the nrt involves any degree of pain, i think i'll pass. i had enough pain and dizziness after doing a hearing test and an electrode sweep of both ci's.

Hmm..I'm not sure. All I know it's called NRT. No problem...like I said, it's more trouble than it's worth. ;-)

lady,

thanks. i'm trying to remember what my audi did during the integrity test. i believe she attached several electrodes to my head and typed on a computer which gave information about how my ci was working. aside from that, i have no idea what else the integrity test involved.

lady,

thanks. i'm trying to remember what my audi did during the integrity test. i believe she attached several electrodes to my head and typed on a computer which gave information about how my ci was working. aside from that, i have no idea what else the integrity test involved.

NRT is Nerve Response Test, they use this to see if the implant is working while we were under GA and to see our thresholds, because of this they wouldn't want to test us until we are fully stimulated. I MUST say it's not painful just alot of sensation which is enough to make your eyes squint, I felt MORE when they reached the turned off ones. They do ransom electrodes not every electrodes. It is Louder than your threshold but A good AUDI won't go any further if you are uncomfortable with it. I wasn't on my third month post activaction, and i had one just recently. Coil/processor with boot/lead attached to computer are used for this test.

Right as i am back in UK must go and pick my doggy up, i miss him so much! Speak laters

charlotte,

from what you've described, it sounds like what i had during my first month of activation (1st ci) was an nrt. however, i don't remember experiencing any pain.

Back