Criteria for Acceptance in Deaf Community

BrainDork

Reaction score
For those of you involved in the Deaf Community, what is the criteria for those who want to be a part of that community?

I'm deaf (well hard-of-hearing according to family and audiologist and school) and want to know if I would be accepted or would it be up to the individual Deafies that I come in contact with?

I know very little about Deaf history or Deaf Culture but would love to learn.

Willingness to learn ASL and just respect everyone.

Of course there will always be some few who are anal about how one grew up, whether that person is from a Deaf family or not, if that person is deaf enough, and so on.

Ignore those people if u should encounter them. There are many more who just do not care about your background as far as ASL, Deaf culture, and whether your family is Deaf or not.

Good luck!

Yea I've had a few deaf friends alert me of the "holier-than-thou" deafies...

Thanks for the reminder...

And you bet I'm more than willing to learn ASL.

For those of you involved in the Deaf Community, what is the criteria for those who want to be a part of that community?

I'm deaf (well hard-of-hearing according to family and audiologist and school) and want to know if I would be accepted or would it be up to the individual Deafies that I come in contact with?

I know very little about Deaf history or Deaf Culture but would love to learn.

There is not an exact criteria for wanting to be part of the community but of course, learning ASL is a start. As you know, you're bound to meet some people who are hasty or friendly. Whatever you do, it wouldn't hurt to put an effort into this.

As for Deaf History - You might would like to read "Deaf Heritage". It's an excellent book written by Jack Gannon. I believe it was made in early 80's (it's not updated as of now) but still, it has a lot of good information in there.

Good Luck! :)

Back