Crisis Text Line - Volunteer Opportunity!

jwolf

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I am writing to let you know about a volunteer opportunity that you'll be interested in.

Crisis Text Line is a 24/7 national hotline for people in crisis. What makes it unique is that it operates via text message. We have several hundred trained volunteers on our online platform answering texts -- over 7 million messages so far.

The reason I'm reaching out to you is this - people who are deaf, Deaf, and hard of hearing can have all of the characteristics and skills of a great crisis counselor, but many don't have to opportunity to meet that potential at a typical call center.

Crisis Text Line wants to make sure that the d/Deaf/Hoh communities are aware of this opportunity so that we can form a stronger relationship with these communities, so that we can continue to recruit the best possible crisis counselors, and so that we can improve our training to accommodate for a more diverse population of volunteers.

If you're interested in this, message me and I'd be thrilled to tell you more!

- Jared

Id do it ,but am an asshole...so.....
But
I could of been a.self help guru in another life im told....well...

Id do it ,but am an asshole...so.....
But
I could of been a.self help guru in another life im told....well...
There's pretty extensive training; who's to say you couldn't still do it?

I was self help they started it at Samaritans emails when I left they started training up tx operators...Unfortunatly I could not deal with the rather disgusting ones we got and shocked how many we got..the ones on phones got it lot worse

I was self help they started it at Samaritans emails when I left they started training up tx operators...Unfortunatly I could not deal with the rather disgusting ones we got and shocked how many we got..the ones on phones got it lot worse

Hi Caz,

Would you be willing to elaborate on what your experience was? Are you referring to "prank" texts to the hotline?

for the people who did phonelines at least one or more per shift got someone who was masterbating,and some of emails of similar hue.We had to ascertain if this was the case and tell them to get back to us if they had genuine problem...
If you google samartians look for Brenda lines you see what I mean...I never got to txng it was only in early stages then

Huh, we don't really have a problem with thing like that... It happens every now and then but not like you're describing.

It was hard for me but others had no problems..we had system that prisoner could call us it was specific prison for each samartion call centre that I got satisfaction helping.Prisoners were also trained up to be samaritons.This was ten years back I did it and emails were relatively new and as I mention tx was not up and running then.It is now I believe I know it not easy and needs good training.i don't know about States but we got emails for help from other countries contacted us well I know India did bc I got one from Indian children.i would loved to been able to have done it but had big problems of my own and that was not best time in my life to have done that...the guy who started samaritons believed people who needed to relieve themselves by mastebation needed help in same way others did afraid that was not for me.but other things opened my eyes to many things and do not see things in black or white many grey areas in human condition.
On other threads people have set ideas take thread on 22yr old teacher well I can see flip side that others don't see and it because of training in the samaritons.for that I be for ever grateful

Back