Court decides seniors can't reject Medicare

Status
Not open for further replies.
Um, billionaires are not eligible for welfare support which is totally different from getting social security benefits when they retire.

Billionaires are certainly eligible and entitled to get their social security benefits because, like TXgolfer and Reba said, they've already paid into the system. It's people who are still working continue pay for retired people's retirement benefits. This is not like a savings account where you pay into a retirement plan. This is more like a Ponzi scheme.

If billionaires have Social Security then that means they have the LEGAL right to have access to medicare per the court's conclusion. Exactly what Reba said. They are already LEGALLY entitled to Medicare if you have SS. If you're legally entitled to Medicare you cannot refuse it. It's an automatic process.

Social Security Publications

Reba pointed out a court case where a person tried to stop that automatic process by refusing Medicare. Court said that it cannot be done. That's what Reba pointed out. The process cannot be undone. It's not like billionaires cannot fork over cash payments for medical services.

Next, what's Welfare payments? That's dependent on your income. Billionaires do not qualify for welfare support, obviously. And SS and Medicare are NOT welfare.

Reba has not changed anything on what she said today or in the past. She is correct on all counts.

sure.

Hm. No, that's not what you said. You said earlier that your point was anyone, no matter how rich, cannot refuse medicare.

and now you're saying billionaires are not eligible.

which was my point the whole time.

:dunno:

Reba made the point that billionaires are not eligible for WELFARE.
They, because of the years of earnings contribuited to S.S., are covered by S.S. and the court is saying they can not option out (refuse) of Medicare

Wirelessly posted

I was under the impression if your income was above a certan amount you won't get your SS. I am assuming that would include interest ect. But I am probably wrong

It doesn't make sense if billionaires want SS because they have plenty of money and having good pensions that superior to SS.

If I was rich and I don't need SS for my retirement so I let SS goes to poor and middle class retirees who need that to running their life.

That's your choice, I would rather take it and give as I see fit rather than trust the government with it.

Wirelessly posted

I was under the impression if your income was above a certan amount you won't get your SS. I am assuming that would include interest ect. But I am probably wrong

If you work your pay is automatically deducted where you pay into the system which in turns support people who are already retired. It's not like you're paying into a savings account just for you. Your pay is deducted from your paycheck to pay (support) those already retired. When you retire after so many years of working the people currently work help pay for your retirement payments. Essentially a Ponzi scheme.

I think that DeafCaroline being Canadian may be leading to part of the problem — she may be confusing Medicare and Medicaid!

People working for wages be they paid at a per hour rate or a salary pay into Social Security and Medicare as a percentage of what they are earning. It does not matter what the amount of those wages are. Thus at 65 for Medicare and 62 for reduced benefits or 6? depending on birth date for full Social Security the person becomes eligible for benefits from it. The court is saying if you want your Social Security benefits you cannot op out of just the Medicare portion.

Medicaid on the other hand is a form of medical welfare for low income people.

I think that DeafCaroline being Canadian may be leading to part of the problem — she may be confusing Medicare and Medicaid!
Good point.

People working for wages be they paid at a per hour rate or a salary pay into Social Security and Medicare as a percentage of what they are earning. It does not matter what the amount of those wages are. Thus at 65 for Medicare and 62 for reduced benefits or 6? depending on birth date for full Social Security the person becomes eligible for benefits from it. The court is saying if you want your Social Security benefits you cannot op out of just the Medicare portion.

:ty: for explaining.

:laugh2:

Republicans try to get rid of Medicaid for yrs... just sad. Poor ppl have feelings,too, ya know!

No, I'm not confusing the two.

Wirelessly posted

It depends on your age. If you apply for Soc. Sec. at age 62, and then continue to work, your Soc.Sec. benefits will be reduced. After age 66, however, you can work as much as you want and it will not reduce your Soc. Sec. benefits.

Interest, dividend, or capital gains income has nothing to do with it in any case. Only your wage income from working affects your Soc. Sec. benefits.

Just more crap coming down the Obamacare pipeline via the courts! America is in trouble financially and sinking rapidly and our POTUS and Congress just keep shooting holes in the boat! Brilliant!

That is a consequence I would never have envisioned. I'm sure the legislature writing the law never imagined it either. The law just needs to be rewritten so that we have the option of not receiving some of our entitlements.

as for the issue Grayma brought up, We almost need a kind of a third party insurance that will decide which insurance company is obligated to provide coverage when you have more than one insurance company. Especially when you have no choice but to add Medicare.

Ayiyiyiyiyiyiyiyeeeeee, No, no, no, please, please, please don't fix this bureaucratic redtape nightmare by throwing in another layer of bureaucracy. I don't want a third party insurance in the mix. Two is bad enough.

I just want to be able to refuse medicare if we don't want it- especially when I do not appreciate having to pay them 100 dollars a month for something we already had for free.

Well, that was a noble and generous attempt to help.

anyone who refuses Medicare is an idiot. First of all, when you work, you pay your part into Medicare fund. And you don't want it back? What a dumb loser.

anyone who refuses Medicare is an idiot. First of all, when you work, you pay your part into Medicare fund. And you don't want it back? What a dumb loser.

Yeah! Because Medicare is teh Awesome! :lol:

I do not want it back for my daughter because I already had free health insurance for her through my husband's retirement plan.
With Medicare I am forced to pay an extra 90 dollars a month for less coverage than i had without Medicare, and more hassle.

Of course, you argument does kind of work for Social Security. Pretty much nobody refuses it. It's not means tested, so everybody who has worked or is married to somebody who has worked is eligible for it. They've all paid into the program. So of course, even millionaires want their social security.

There have been discussions about making Social Security a means tested program, meaning you get it based on how much income you live on, but they haven't gone anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back