Considering school in Massachusetts

Tim7

Reaction score
Anyone know of good programs for ASL study in Massachusetts? Two or four year programs; which is best? Is an Associates Degree enough?

All input sought and welcome.

with best regards to all,
Tim

Anyone know of good programs for ASL study in Massachusetts? Two or four year programs; which is best? Is an Associates Degree enough?

All input sought and welcome.

with best regards to all,
Tim

Northeastern has Deaf studies and ITP programs, I believe, and the Boston area has a decent-sized Deaf population. I don't know anything else about the school, though. I think BU has ASL classes as well, but I don't know if they're part of an ITP program or just standalone language classes.

Northern Essex Community College, Haverhill MA, NE MA near NH about 45-50 mins. north of Boston has ASL Deaf Studies/Interpreter training program:
Programs of Study
We used to live near there. My HOH daughter, 19, used to go to Newton North Middle & High Schools @ EDCO Program for Deaf/HOH & now goes to NTID at RIT, Rochester, NY. Good Luck & Blessings on looking into this--a much-needed service for the deaf community (shortage of qualified interpreters). Shalom, Sandra :)

Northeastern has Deaf studies and ITP programs, I believe, and the Boston area has a decent-sized Deaf population. I don't know anything else about the school, though. I think BU has ASL classes as well, but I don't know if they're part of an ITP program or just standalone language classes.

I think BU had considered dropping deaf studies (but it seems, from looking at their website, they haven't). It's at the School of Education.

However, you can now take ASL as part of the language requirement at BU. I had lobbied to take it but BU refused. Just as I was finishing up my degree, they said yes to ASL as a requirement. So you can do ANY degree (History, Psych) and study ASL as part of the requirement. I wish I had the chance to do it (took Spanish reading instead after I found out that BU didn't accept ASL as a language requirement). Oh well.

Back