Connecticut School Bans Physical Contact

When I was in middle school, hugging our friends was the "cool" thing to do and jealousy spats between the girls occurred...maybe we did need that rule! :giggle:

*gasp!* No more holding hands with school sweethearts!!! Oh NO!!!!! It is the end of an era of puppy love!

:lol:

We posted at the same time but as you can see what I asked, suppose you miss the "high-five" and end up smacking the other person in the face.....

If a person missed the high five... then he deserves to be smacked in the face. :lol:

No, Seriously. People that do those things are the bullies.

"give me five" "up high" "down low" "too slow" << moving hand to smack a person in the head!! while stating that!!

I do understand that.

but to a normal person that wants to applaud a person or to hug a person. This rule is ridiculous.

It is punishing everyone and teaching all the kids that touching is a no no... to show affection is a no no.

the ones that uses inappropriate touches are the ones that needs to be punished!!

That is like telling a child not to touch a glass ornament. don't touch!! DON'T TOUCH!! Instead.... they should show that child how to handle it.

Difference between good touches and bad touches..

It is all part of a teaching process of children...

Why wait to teach them when they are adults??? It will just show more lack of affections and teach kids that showing affection through good touches is a NO, NO.. Hate to see how cold it will be in the future.

lol cuddle party...very funny.

Kinda mushy, if you ask me. >.>

If a person missed the high five... then he deserves to be smacked in the face. :lol:

No, Seriously. People that do those things are the bullies.

"give me five" "up high" "down low" "too slow" << moving hand to smack a person in the head!! while stating that!!

I do understand that.

but to a normal person that wants to applaud a person or to hug a person. This rule is ridiculous.

It is punishing everyone and teaching all the kids that touching is a no no... to show affection is a no no.

the ones that uses inappropriate touches are the ones that needs to be punished!!

That is like telling a child not to touch a glass ornament. don't touch!! DON'T TOUCH!! Instead.... they should show that child how to handle it.

Difference between good touches and bad touches..

It is all part of a teaching process of children...

Why wait to teach them when they are adults??? It will just show more lack of affections and teach kids that showing affection through good touches is a NO, NO.. Hate to see how cold it will be in the future.

Remember that the school district can be held liable if an individual has been appropiately touched or inappropiately touched.

School district has to watch out for themselves as there are too many eager parents that are ready to sue.

Jesus, that is going too far! Man, if I was going to that school, I would have my parents pull me out of that school and transfer me into different school. The rules are just plain ridiculous and I'm quite sure that someone is gonna slip up soon, we humans can't resist the touch, let it be hug or touch on the shoulder or whatever.

I would say that some parents or maybe some principals are aphenphosmphobia (afraid of being touched - probably of the germs).

School bans touching

Va. middle school bans touching | NowPublic News Coverage
Kilmer Middle School in Vienna, Virginia has a "no physical contact" rule. Like many schools, officials at Kilmer created the rule to try to give kids personal space and limit the effects of what they see as the violent and/or sexual physical tendencies of teenagers. But recently, a boy was reprimanded for putting his arm around his girlfriend--which has led to a debate over whether the no touching rule is too harsh. If kids can't touch, is social interaction lost? How much touching is too much? What happens in gym class? School dances? What if I wanted to embrace a friend who's upset?

According to the principal, the line is drawn firmly but with understanding that a look from a teacher is often enough to get students to part ways. But what about the boy who put his arm around his girlfriend? Well, his parents have taken the matter to the school board, in hopes that the school will reconsider the rule.

Deborah Hernandez, Kilmer's principal, said the rule makes sense in a school that was built for 850 students but houses 1,100. She said that students should have their personal space protected and that many lack the maturity to understand what is acceptable or welcome.

"You get into shades of gray," Hernandez said. "The kids say, 'If he can high-five, then I can do this.' "

She has seen a poke escalate into a fight and a handshake that is a gang sign. Some students -- and these are friends -- play "bloody knuckles," which involves slamming their knuckles together as hard as they can. Counselors have heard from girls who are uncomfortable hugging boys but embarrassed to tell anyone. And in a culturally diverse school, officials say, families might have different views of what is appropriate.

What do you think

Mod note:

Thread's merged.

Both topic has similarity, so I merged. :)

Dumb, and going too far. I have no issues with high fives and stuff like that. What about plain simple polite handshakes? Is that banned, too? Students are going to need to learn how to interact physically, and if they never learn, then they'll become social outcasts because they don't know how to do any of that stuff out in society in college and afterwards.

Yea, that's like killin' love or what ever people call it.

crazy stuff

I just talked to a teen girl about sexual harrassment. She said her friend got into trouble for hugging a girl, and she complained to get him in trouble on purpose because she didn't like him. He went to juvie.

Real sexual harrassment needs to be addressed, but stupid, false accusations is not funny.

I also think they need to overhaul the sex offender list when boys 18 (senior) get into trouble for kissing their 17 year old girlfriends in Oregon. :roll: I'm glad I am not in school anymore! Sheesh.

Yes, we need laws, but they need to make SENSE and be fair.

I just talked to a teen girl about sexual harrassment. She said her friend got into trouble for hugging a girl, and she complained to get him in trouble on purpose because she didn't like him. He went to juvie.

Real sexual harrassment needs to be addressed, but stupid, false accusations is not funny.

I agree. I think it is ridiculous. I even can't imagine how the kids went through all that " makin' no sense " rules. It teaches them nothin'! It only will make them confused.

I also think they need to overhaul the sex offender list when boys 18 (senior) get into trouble for kissing their 17 year old girlfriends in Oregon. :roll: I'm glad I am not in school anymore! Sheesh.

I am with you. I am glad I don't go to school anymore. I graduated in 1979. Thank God for that!

Yes, we need laws, but they need to make SENSE and be fair.

You're right! All I can see that the schools are now turnin' into "plastic" schools. Nothin' is real.

That is outrage!!!! Everyone needs to be touch no matter what!!! For example, if a person is deaf and someone needs to tap person's shoulder to get his/her attention to continue to talk to... Sheesh.... Light up Principal will ya!! lol

that seems like be difficult to reinforce; what if a friend trying to console someone who is upset?

yes, the things they are trying to prevent will only go underground, become "exotic forbidden"; This kind of rule makes true problems hard to differentiate from harmless actions.

Back