Congrats to two of my friends!

shel90

Love Makes the World Go Round
Premium Member
Reaction score
Two of my friends are graduating this Dec with their PhD's! They both have been deaf since birth and are from other countries. One is from Peru and the other is from India. Both came to America in their early teens with a strong language foundation in sign language and the written form of the spoken language of their home country. They didnt know English nor ASL when they moved to America...now they are fluent in 4 languages.

They have come a long way to get where they are and I just wanted to dedicate this thread to them for getting their PhDs. People like them impress me the most because they had to overcome so many barriers growing up in 3rd world countries and being deaf.

Shows that by meeting their deaf needs early on really makes a difference.

Nope, they didnt get their PhDs at Gallaudet University, if some of you are wondering. One went to John Hopkins University and the other went to American University in DC.

They are both my inspiration for Deaf role models!

Congrats to your 2 friends! They sure worked hard to that level for sure.

Congratulations to your two friends. They did work so hard for this and achieved their goals. :)

That's way cool. Well done to them

We could learn a thing or two from deaf people with PhD's.

Congrats to your 2 friends and the best luck to them :)

Two of my friends are graduating this Dec with their PhD's! They both have been deaf since birth and are from other countries. One is from Peru and the other is from India. Both came to America in their early teens with a strong language foundation in sign language and the written form of the spoken language of their home country. They didnt know English nor ASL when they moved to America...now they are fluent in 4 languages.

They have come a long way to get where they are and I just wanted to dedicate this thread to them for getting their PhDs. People like them impress me the most because they had to overcome so many barriers growing up in 3rd world countries and being deaf.

Shows that by meeting their deaf needs early on really makes a difference.

Nope, they didnt get their PhDs at Gallaudet University, if some of you are wondering. One went to John Hopkins University and the other went to American University in DC.

They are both my inspiration for Deaf role models!

Wow! Congratulations! :cool2:

That's great Shel. It's good to know that there are deaf people out there doing big things. Gives me even more inspiration. I hope to make it that far. Congrats to your friends!

:applause: I must say that Johns Hopkins is an overpriced education reserved for the "rich kids." That's just me, though. Lots of pretty people there, I know.

Just the same, congrats to your friends. They've come a long way, baby! <lights a cigarette>

That's awesome, Shel!

All their hard work has been paid off. They deserve the best.

Indeed, It's an inspiration for many other deaf children from other countries knowing that they can succeed just like your friends did.

Congratulations to your friends! :)

Congrats to them!

Will they return back to their home countries after graduating this Dec.?

Congrats are well deserved for both of your friends. They've worked hard for their degrees.

Congrats to them!

Will they return back to their home countries after graduating this Dec.?

Nope, even with their PhDs, they may have a hard time finding jobs cuz discrimination is worse over there.

:applause: What are they receiving their PhD in?

The one from India...business administration and the other, in education policy. The latter friend hopes to get a job working on the federal level in depts that is responsible for the laws or policies created for education. It would be good to have him on the board cuz from a deaf and Hispanic perspective, he can bring a different view than the usual hearing views that are so influencial of the laws of people with different needs, especially deaf children.

Back