Confused...

Well, that comment, along with a bunch of other clever stuff, was flushed by the mod staff.

Since you seem to reply to every post made towards you by Bottesini, it is obvious you are not ignoring. And, given the tone of those replies, I would think Bottesini has gotten quite a bit of your attention. It would be better for you to ignore than try to keep up. Your command of English is insufficient to engage in a war of words with that member.

Well it's been a few days since that member, who is she? She who shall not be named? made a comment directly to me. However there have been a few about me that I didn't take the bait for.
This is the third thread that she hasn't posted commenting about the thread, no opinions or insight about what is being discussed. She has only posted attacking me personally. With my limited grasp on the English langauge I still know two words sufficient to describe her behavior. Those would be troll and bully. I have little respect for either.

Like sonoctavio said, it's better to be pissed off than pissed on. I got bullied enough by soon to be exhusband, I'll be damned if I take it from her. I don't care how old she is, how long she's been here, or if there's a thesaurus drooping out her ass.

But so this post isn't completely off topic. Isn't it interesting that how something doesn't have to written in perfect english to be misunderstood? Sometimes a reader's own view points, pride and prejudices can cause a gross misinterpretation.

...I am confused. I've been reading posts on AllDeaf for a few weeks and I find that a lot of them are very difficult to read/understand. Like their are words missing, or incorrectly conjugated (past, present, future)

:cool: not me.. my grammar was already fubar before I came here because I was raised under two different grammar systems (Subject-object-verb[SOV] and subject-verb-object[SVO]).

For example,
Q: Was there someone who crossed the road?
A: A woman in a red dress crossed the road 5 minutes ago.

Subject: Woman (whom we identify as wearing a red dress)
Object: Road
Verb: Crossed across (when? 5 min ago)

in English (SVO):
A woman / in / a red dress | crossed | the road / 5 minutes ago.

But for Japanese & Korean (SOV):
Red dress / wearing / woman | 5 minutes ago / the road | [she] crossed.
Also the question would be arranged as : Somebody | Road | cross-go was-there?

One of the reasons why I found this forum is because I'm very interested in ASL grammar. I read somewhere that some aspects of ASL grammar is more similar to Japanese grammar than English grammar (such as ASL:"I have book six" instead of English:"I have six books"), so I want to study ASL more to learn more about the usage of ASL grammar, and why/how it came to be that way.

For example, I learned that wh- question words are often placed at the end, because it's easier to make the matching facial expression if it is at the end of a sentence. ("your name what" instead of "what is your name"). Japanese, Korean, and Mandarin all have a particle (ka, ka, and ma) that goes at the end of a sentence to indicate it is a question. Hindi and French on the other hand, have it at the beginning of a sentences (kyaa for hindi and "est-ce que" for french. Spanish uses an upside down question mark for written questions, but it is not verbalized).

I also think it's very clever the way sequence is expressed in ASL.
Rather than "Do you want to go to a store with me after work?" in ASL you can say "work finish, I store go, want come-with-me?"

It's also really interesting to me that word order sometimes makes a difference and sometimes does not make a difference for ASL. Such as:
lifeprint's grammar page said:
You could sign:

"I FROM U-T-A-H I."
"I FROM U-T-A-H."
"FROM U-T-A-H I."

All of the above statements are "ASL."
because it challenges my perception that grammar is defined to follow a set thinking pattern in the brain.

Rather, the evidence of flexible sentence order hints to me that grammar is a socially acquired thought pattern (an agreement to do something a certain way; learned) rather than something derived from how the brain operates (instinct, like how a bird knows how to build a nest). Also that it can be very loosely defined (like Russian) or tightly defined (like Korean) depending on who's using it.

Which then further gives me hope that if I teach myself to think a certain way, then that I can learn any language if I try :cool:

But to directly answer your concern, I'm actually baffled as to how I am able to understand much of what is written without giving it a second thought. I know not all of the posts that are tough to read are strictly in ASL grammar, but I haven't come across very many posts here that I couldn't decode the first time around.

Some posts do have a very unusual word order for English (My favorite thread to read on the forum is actually the ASL ONLY! thread, because it has loads of practical grammar examples) but then I think about the words used in that post in terms of Korean/Japanese grammar.... and it makes sense.

Vocab can be all memorization but grammar requires a lot of practice :aw:

hahaha I'm done, doesn't matter what she says I'm not resonding. I've been ignoring her the last couple days, couldn't let that shit shit slide though. Pitching a fit my ass, by making sound arguments in a discussion? By having an opinion? pfffft. I said my peace I'm good.

oooooooo sounds like you wearing your pantie inside out :giggle:

Contessa I think that maybe you should take some deaf culture classes to really understand the difference between ASL and English. The grammatical structure is completely different because although some words are signed as words, others are signed as concepts. It can be challenging to put a visual concept into words sometimes.

Contessa I think that maybe you should take some deaf culture classes to really understand the difference between ASL and English. The grammatical structure is completely different because although some words are signed as words, others are signed as concepts. It can be challenging to put a visual concept into words sometimes.

I would think it's actually just the opposite.

I feel it coming on...
Just_About_Enough.jpg

lol no, the high road here.

That wasn't a squirrel.....it was a flying pig. Those are spotted here every once in a while.

Last edited:
THANK YOU ALL!!!

For some reason I never thought of ASL in terms of how it would effect written language. I speak 2 languages (English & Spanish) fortunately both are latin based so they follow similar rules of grammer.

American Sign Language is based on French, not English. British Sign Language is based on English. The two are very different languages.

No, the issue is either they approach it as a second language,or they have limited mastery of written English.

Back