Computers of the 20th & 21st Century

In 1977, my first computer kit was Poly 88 with 8" floppy disk. The 8" floppy drive and 16k memory were very very expensive.

In 1981, I got Apple II Clone kit. The Apple Co sued many 3parties (Orange, Franklin, other brands).

In 1983, I got DEC Rainbows with CP/M and DOS

In 1986, I got IBM Clone kits.

In 1977, my first computer kit was Poly 88 with 8" floppy disk. The 8" floppy drive and 16k memory were very very expensive.

In 1981, I got Apple II Clone kit. The Apple Co sued many 3parties (Orange, Franklin, other brands).

speaking about 'very very expensive back then, would have been worth two dollars today :lol:

In 1994 I got Iomega Zip disk for my Mac PowerPC.

chey57 ah i remmy the zip drives, never bought one, thinking it was a fad to go out of fashion quickly i was kind of half-right, but yeah they stored more than 3.5 inch floppy back then - useful but i didnt need it

Darkage im surprised you are one of the very very few deaf who were 'hackers' aka hobbyist computer-user building own system at WAY WAY back. Thats awesome
I remember bmy first computer was a Sinclair ZX81 then added the 16k ram pack which costed nearly as much as the plain 1K Ram ZX81 ! then i moved up to Atari 600XL then 800XL, then the IBM clone "Redstone" then an Apple Performa then...I built a PC, starting of with a XP1700 (nice cpu), then 2100 AUIHB overclockers special (new mobo etc DFI lanparty2), then XPM2600 again a bloody good overclocker (IQYHA 0351 MPMW), then got sick of overclocking as reliability became something that I cant afford to keep up so i went straight to XP3000 (overclocked to XP4000 then backed off), held that for a while thru several OS's....then now Core2Duo lappy with Windows 7

think id wait for quad core lappy and then run that on Windows8 then keep that for 5 years or so....computers are fun but not so fun with it costs thousands....

Last edited:
Grummer.....

I remember that I was thinking about buy Sinclair ZX81 kit but never.... Also, I almost bought Sol-20. That's our time, they called "homebrew computer or micro-computer". Sometime, I was curious to try out on Commodor PET, TRS-80, TI-99, all other unusually brand names.

I have no idea how many deaf people had computer in 1977? My friends called me, "too rich".

In 1969 or 70, my first time to use computer with paper roll (no monitor) for education in math quiz, read quiz and Star Trek Game. In winter 1972, my friend and I tried to hack on computer. We reached Stanford University from Washington DC. Few months later, they took computers away. We did not know why??? Someone told me too expensive.

I believe that Compaq was first IBM Clone Portable. Then, they grew many other name like TAVA PC, Zenith, Franklin PC, other..... I asked someone, "Why IBM did not sue any brand name?" They said that IBM PC-DOS and Clone-DOS is not 100 percent clone. Any brand can't read IBM's BASIC language. So, they called "GW-BASIC or MBasic".

My first CPU was Intel 8080. This time, I do not plan to buy Intel i7 or i5. As soon, I will buy Quad Duo Q9550 and motherboard for my son's graduated gift.

Do you remember name of computer magazine in 1976 and 1977. I used to have Byte Magazine, Creative Computer Magazine, Interface Magazine. I forget other title of computer magazine. Yes, I still have old computer magazine from 1977 or 78

Not excatly year, 1982 or 83, I bought used Vic-20. Home made modem for TDD. It was working but not great.

This Sept 28th, I will get retail Windows 7 (before release date) at Microsoft's Event. I have no idea what they will send me Win 7 32bit or 64bit.

Wow,

I bought the 286-AT Leading Edge model, the BBS sysop sold me for 300 dollars in 1990 with 40 MB MFM hard drive (Oldest DOS system) including a 300 baud modem.

Then upgrade bigger computer a "Tower" after old 286-AT hit by virus, replaced with 386SX motherboard and 80 MB hard drive, I run a BBS system with 2400 baud modem. untill I bought the 800 MB hard drive and put into 386SX tower that would be run HDD.SYS to make enabled 800 MB. it's huge BBS server. 386SX's bios very oldest, the HD driver would run a HDD enabled overriden bios to get 800 MB enabled.

Superised, A friend gave me windows 95, I tried to installed on 386SX, whoa, it's works! it's very barely runs on window 95. my old 386SX bios must've tricked windows 95 to run it. and BBS runs seem fine and working prefectly.

1994 the 386SX tower had been retired and replaced with Pentium MMX Compaq computer, Reinstalled a BBS system.

Grummer.....

I remember that I was thinking about buy Sinclair ZX81 kit but never.... Also, I almost bought Sol-20. That's our time, they called "homebrew computer or micro-computer". Sometime, I was curious to try out on Commodor PET, TRS-80, TI-99, all other unusually brand names.

I have no idea how many deaf people had computer in 1977? My friends called me, "too rich".

In 1969 or 70, my first time to use computer with paper roll (no monitor) for education in math quiz, read quiz and Star Trek Game. In winter 1972, my friend and I tried to hack on computer. We reached Stanford University from Washington DC. Few months later, they took computers away. We did not know why??? Someone told me too expensive.

I believe that Compaq was first IBM Clone Portable. Then, they grew many other name like TAVA PC, Zenith, Franklin PC, other..... I asked someone, "Why IBM did not sue any brand name?" They said that IBM PC-DOS and Clone-DOS is not 100 percent clone. Any brand can't read IBM's BASIC language. So, they called "GW-BASIC or MBasic".

My first CPU was Intel 8080. This time, I do not plan to buy Intel i7 or i5. As soon, I will buy Quad Duo Q9550 and motherboard for my son's graduated gift.

Do you remember name of computer magazine in 1976 and 1977. I used to have Byte Magazine, Creative Computer Magazine, Interface Magazine. I forget other title of computer magazine. Yes, I still have old computer magazine from 1977 or 78

Not excatly year, 1982 or 83, I bought used Vic-20. Home made modem for TDD. It was working but not great.

This Sept 28th, I will get retail Windows 7 (before release date) at Microsoft's Event. I have no idea what they will send me Win 7 32bit or 64bit.

in 1969-70? the internet back then was military-only known as arpanet they prolly seized it as a national security risk lol shrugs

8080 yeah i remmy those i used 8088, the 8088 motorola was the most popular it was a 68088 processor used in the Atari 400/800/XL series
8 bit processors running on 4 volts. (no i didnt google this up just straight from head, so i could get it wrong)

if you get win7 RC, you'd most likely get a 32 bit, better yet insist on it
so you'd have less problems, the thing with 64 bits OS, (esp the win8) it will NOT run on any 32bit processors systems period! the entire line of software would most likely have to be designed specifically for the 64 bit platform as well.

Id say win7 would be good for another 3-4 years then everyone will jump on the 64 bandwagon, of course there will be early adopters but they will be the ones tinkering out all the issues...unless you really knows/understand the ideas/workings of operating systems then go ahead play with it. its really out of my league i just want to just word for study, internet for pleasure and emails and msn for keeping contacts. games is the thing of the past for me. I played well but im over it now. yes i remmy some of those mags, Analog was the one i liked -for Ataris - popular computing was ok, theres been a whole lot i used to have tons and no i dont know how i got rid of it. actually i still have a few of the 90's mags and early 2000's..but not much to it..

Id have to sit down browse net for a fair bit of time to jog thru the memory lane then i could post back some more magazines titles. not right now though.

why buy quad instead of i7? i heard good things about i7's?! im curious

cheers

Back then in the past...Many Macs used SCSI hard drives, then replaced with IDE/ATA hard drives.. in the present day, they use serial ATA hard drives....

in 1969-70? the internet back then was military-only known as arpanet they prolly seized it as a national security risk lol shrugs

8080 yeah i remmy those i used 8088, the 8088 motorola was the most popular it was a 68088 processor used in the Atari 400/800/XL series
8 bit processors running on 4 volts. (no i didnt google this up just straight from head, so i could get it wrong)

if you get win7 RC, you'd most likely get a 32 bit, better yet insist on it
so you'd have less problems, the thing with 64 bits OS, (esp the win8) it will NOT run on any 32bit processors systems period! the entire line of software would most likely have to be designed specifically for the 64 bit platform as well.

Id say win7 would be good for another 3-4 years then everyone will jump on the 64 bandwagon, of course there will be early adopters but they will be the ones tinkering out all the issues...unless you really knows/understand the ideas/workings of operating systems then go ahead play with it. its really out of my league i just want to just word for study, internet for pleasure and emails and msn for keeping contacts. games is the thing of the past for me. I played well but im over it now. yes i remmy some of those mags, Analog was the one i liked -for Ataris - popular computing was ok, theres been a whole lot i used to have tons and no i dont know how i got rid of it. actually i still have a few of the 90's mags and early 2000's..but not much to it..

Id have to sit down browse net for a fair bit of time to jog thru the memory lane then i could post back some more magazines titles. not right now though.

why buy quad instead of i7? i heard good things about i7's?! im curious

cheers

He's not interested in crazy powerful computer.

I wouldn't upgrade to i7 Core until few years when USB 3.0, SATA 6 Gbit/s and recent updated PCI express are ready to be standard in motherboard.

He's not interested in crazy powerful computer.

I wouldn't upgrade to i7 Core until few years when USB 3.0, SATA 6 Gbit/s and recent updated PCI express are ready to be standard in motherboard.

hmm ok so, its more about waiting until the i7 technology, along with the rest of newer components have matured into a seemless platform , like you said when it all becomes 'standard' it usually means the kinks have been ironed out the drivers sorted as well.
Didnt realise ( i dont follow the pci-e scene as i dont game much(or at all) now) wow, so suppose the newer pci-e has more bus bandwidth to interact with cpu and rest of mobo.

I guess so its a good move to go quads on a recently matured technology for reliability and stability. :cool2:

Grummer

This time is not great year with economy. I rather not spend little extra money on memory DDR3, Intel i7 and motherboard. We look for under $300 Intel Quad and motherboard. Let him to take my higher end memory DDR2 from my computer. Rather to save $$$$ for my retire

Last night, my son and I talked about Win 7 32bit or 64bit. Now, I feel strong to go with 32bit over 64 bit because my laptop has 3k mb memory. Other Nikon (photo) forum, other users have problem with between Win XP 64bit and Nikon NX Software. I am freelance photo for NCAA Football. So, my son will order Win 7 64bit for $30. He can get student discount.

Darkage
yep i 'hear ya', also as for 64bits win7 its likely minimum to be comfortable with x64W7 you'd need 4 GM ram, hell to be really with the flow i guess 8 GB on a maxxed out c2d or quad platform.
I am not going to touch 64bit until say, 5 years down the track...when 8 GB rams is commonplace and cheap, now its gamer's haven but expensive!! only the Pro gamers or those earning really good money and are Right into gaming bigtime as a serious hobby. Not for me and I dont have time to game.

Darkage
yep i 'hear ya', also as for 64bits win7 its likely minimum to be comfortable with x64W7 you'd need 4 GM ram, hell to be really with the flow i guess 8 GB on a maxxed out c2d or quad platform.
I am not going to touch 64bit until say, 5 years down the track...when 8 GB rams is commonplace and cheap, now its gamer's haven but expensive!! only the Pro gamers or those earning really good money and are Right into gaming bigtime as a serious hobby. Not for me and I dont have time to game.

You can max at 16 GB RAM, depends on motherboard.

You can max at 16 GB RAM, depends on motherboard.

They can go up to 24gb RAM. I do not feel like to search for higher than 24gb RAM.

:shock: wow, hate to think how much all that RAMs would cost

I was good enough check newegg's website. No time for me to search.
DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) (2 x 2gb) 4 gb - start at $70 (not see any lower than $69.)
DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) (2 x 2gb) 4 gb - start at $80 (faster and lowest price but not best brand)

Still cheaper than 4 years ago. DDR2 512mb ram for $60 (not remember excatly price)

I will not spend my money for higher than 4gb RAM. Just good enough for normal user/home user.

PS. I do not feel good with my higher blood pressure and heart. Soon go to bed time to relax and enjoy watch movie on my HDTV.

They can go up to 24gb RAM. I do not feel like to search for higher than 24gb RAM.

I was good enough check newegg's website. No time for me to search.
DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) (2 x 2gb) 4 gb - start at $70 (not see any lower than $69.)
DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) (2 x 2gb) 4 gb - start at $80 (faster and lowest price but not best brand)

Still cheaper than 4 years ago. DDR2 512mb ram for $60 (not remember excatly price)

I will not spend my money for higher than 4gb RAM. Just good enough for normal user/home user.

PS. I do not feel good with my higher blood pressure and heart. Soon go to bed time to relax and enjoy watch movie on my HDTV.

Wow, 24 GB RAM is great for hundred of apps running at same time, even alot of videos.

Back