Combining schools for blind, deaf considered

Miss-Delectable

Reaction score
KTVZ.com - Central Oregon's Local News - Combining schools for blind, deaf considered

State Schools Superintendent Susan Castillo announced Tuesday that she has received an analysis of the State Schools Study Committee's recommendation to move programs from the Oregon School for the Blind (OSB) to the campus of the Oregon School for the Deaf (OSD).

The analysis covers physical space, staffing requirements, special events, safety and environment, and cost/benefit analysis.

"I will thoroughly review the analysis before I make a decision on next steps, and I expect to be able to announce a decision by the end of March," Castillo said. "All options about a move are still on the table, and my decision will be based on what best serves our students and the citizens of Oregon. I am committed to the success of these schools as placement options for students."

"One thing is already clear in today's study: Kuenzi Hall on the campus of OSD is at risk in the event of an earthquake. It is representative of the aging infrastructure of the school. We are now aware of issues that need to be dealt with in the near future"

The State Schools Study and additional documents can be accessed online at News - Oregon Department of Education

The 2005 Oregon Legislature approved the budget for the Oregon Department of Education with direction to the agency to "provide a report to the interim Senate and House education committees as well as to the Emergency Board during 2005-2007 on the cost-effectiveness of transferring the program at the Oregon School for the Blind (OSB) to the Oregon School for the Deaf (OSD) campus. The review shall include the cost-effectiveness of contracting out of the two programs to a local education agency."

Superintendent Castillo assembled a work group to study the issues and develop a set of recommendations related to them. The State Schools Study Committee made the following recommendations:

• Move OSB to OSD campus provided costs of move do not override current cost of programs and any subsequent savings should be maintained within programs for students who are sensory impaired.

• Instructional and support services/programs continue to be appropriate to needs of student.
• Oregon Department of Education retains responsibility for the education of the students and subsequent program but develops management operations capacity with another public educational entity.

• Strengthen the linkage between schools and regional programs to illustrate a true continuum of services --- better coordination and sharing of resources/expertise between regional, local and state schools.

• Oregon School for the Blind - retains current mission with additional phrase: "by providing unique and intensive vision services". The mission statement would read:" The mission of the Oregon School for the Blind is to provide a model learning environment for students who are blind/visually impaired by providing unique and intensive vision services, so that they can achieve educational success and become lifelong learners."

• Oregon School for the Deaf - retains current mission, adding clarification to entry criteria and emphasis in making the program and the outreach services part of integrated continuum of services along with the district and Regional service models.

In October, Superintendent Castillo announced that contracting out instructional programs to a local education agency was not in the best interest of students at the state schools. She announced that students would be served best by programs continuing to be operated by the Oregon Department of Education. In December, Castillo asked Department staff for a study on the recommendation to move the OSB programs to the OSD campus.

Maybe a better idear would be to have one campus set aside for academics, and another specificly for multihandicapped kids.

I like how they have a blind program, deaf program and program for multihandicapped kids.....................that way the kids who are just deaf or blind don't get lumped in with the multi kids. Am surprised that SCDB isn't more popular/on top ten good schools..........it even has a post secondary job training program............VERY impressive!

Back