Colorado School for the Deaf?

Greif86

Reaction score
My husband and I are looking into Deaf Schools to see which one will be the best for our daughter [she is 3 months old, but I want to get her into the early education programs, and if we have to move & prepare we need to know what to plan for]. She has been diagnosed as severely deaf [through her ABR and ASSR] and her audi said that she will need speech therapy, sign, and hearing aids to be able to communicate effectively. I looked into the South Carolina School for the Deaf and wasn't too thrilled by it...

[We are also trying to stay with DH's current company, they have locations all over the US and will relocate us if we want]

I want her to go to a SFTD that has a big emphasis on oral skills. I am HOH and 2/3 of my family is deaf, I have no problems with sign and we are teaching our 2 hearing children sign as well as using it with her; I just want her to have good oral skills to be able to communicate and thrive.

Looking into Colorado School for the Deaf, it looks like a good program...does anyone have any input on it?

Any other SFTD suggestions are welcome!!

Thanks so much.

Robyn, Three VERY good schools for hoh kids are: Western Pennsylvania School for the Deaf, Florida School for the Deaf and Blind and Kansas School for the Deaf. One of my friends sent her hoh (moderately severe loss) daughter to KSD for early intervention, and was SO impressed by KSD that if she hadn't really liked Remy's mainstream placement, she would have had Remy at KSD FULL TIME!!!

Robyn, are you guys members of the American Society for Deaf Children? You really should join! You should also join the parent-deaf-hh listserv. I've seen academics talked about so many times there. Two other schools that I've heard good things about are: Indiana School for the Deaf (very good academics!) and St. Rita's (which is a VERY good Deaf School. I'm sure jillo will give you more info)
It is SO cool that you're looking to put your daughter in a Deaf School. Are you going to do the Early Intervention and then see where it goes from there? Excellent! Believe it or not it's actually VERY common for parents of dhh kids to relocate for educational purposes.

My husband and I are looking into Deaf Schools to see which one will be the best for our daughter [she is 3 months old, but I want to get her into the early education programs, and if we have to move & prepare we need to know what to plan for]. She has been diagnosed as severely deaf [through her ABR and ASSR] and her audi said that she will need speech therapy, sign, and hearing aids to be able to communicate effectively. I looked into the South Carolina School for the Deaf and wasn't too thrilled by it...

[We are also trying to stay with DH's current company, they have locations all over the US and will relocate us if we want]

I want her to go to a SFTD that has a big emphasis on oral skills. I am HOH and 2/3 of my family is deaf, I have no problems with sign and we are teaching our 2 hearing children sign as well as using it with her; I just want her to have good oral skills to be able to communicate and thrive.

Looking into Colorado School for the Deaf, it looks like a good program...does anyone have any input on it?

Thanks so much.

I used to go to Colorado School for the Deaf, from 1973 to 1978, and yes, Colorado School for The Deaf, is in Colorado Springs, Co. Been a very long time, since 1978, but it has very antique buildings, but very well maintained! You may want to check it out....

I remember the Colorado SFTD had a 1968 GMC school bus, along with a 1975 Chevy school bus, all white, with red lettering.... Guess they aren't there anymore... But loved to ride the '75 Chevy bus, with Miss Wagner driving it...

Lord that was so long ago... but it does bring back good memories... I have a pix of me and my best friend, taken in 1975, and yes, the school buildings are all of stone... It's worth taking a look....

Not sure what has changed since 1978 to 2008!

I'm not an American, granted, but I wanted to pipe up, so you'll have food for thoughts. :)

I'm told that 5 top schools for the deaf, from an deaf educator, in the US is:

California School for the Deaf in Fremont
Indiana School for the Deaf
Model Secondary School for the Deaf
Maryland School for the Deaf- Frederick.

One more I cannot remember, but maybe it's Kendall Demonstration Elementary or FSDB?

I suggest looking at Learning Centre in Massachusetts and Maryland, also St Rita of Ohio.

You could ask jillio for her thoughts and experiences on St Rita's as she had her son sent there. And they're the sort to encourage speech apparently.

Best of luck on your decision.

Thanks so much.

I am not sure if you already check Colorado School for the Deaf's website: Colorado School for the Deaf and the Blind -- Home Page. I recommended that you go visit few schools that you want to check it out yourself so you can get the feeling and compare with few schools and you can decide what is the best for your children. I have few deaf friends working there and they are enjoying teach the deaf students there!

Back