College for a speaking kid?

Finn

Reaction score
Hello everyone :) I am in high school and exploring different colleges. I have auditory processing disorder ( some times speech sounds like I'm hearing underwater) and hearing loss in my left ear. I go to a school with a deaf program and I need a college that will do the same. My friend who also had APD is considering Gallaudet. We also both know asl fluently. I was wondering if any of you had a college you could recommend? Thank you so much!:lol::lol:

What you mean "speaking kid" if you know ASL and being in the Deaf program. That is enough for you to know what is going on in the hearing classrooms in specialized hearing college for the Deaf and Hard Of Hearing students.

I don't know if it is still there when I left Seattle Central Community College in Seattle, Washington back in the early 1970. The college had a Deaf program so you might consider going there. If you are looking for a two years college, then this must be the place for you to try out. If you are looking for a four years college, then I don't know.

It depend on what kind of courses you are taking as there are different colleges with selective fields that you want to take. Gallaudet University is the most liberal Deaf college in the world. I had never attended there. I wish I could have gone there. :(

It's really up to you, Finn.

It's not just Gally, there are CSUN, NITD, and similar Deaf colleges. :)

With someone asking that question you are expecting them to know what those abbreviations stand for?

I believe so.... since OP typed "APD" and has already explored different deaf colleges.... and there are not that many big-name deaf colleges in America.

Hello everyone :) I am in high school and exploring different colleges. I have auditory processing disorder ( some times speech sounds like I'm hearing underwater) and hearing loss in my left ear. I go to a school with a deaf program and I need a college that will do the same. My friend who also had APD is considering Gallaudet. We also both know asl fluently. I was wondering if any of you had a college you could recommend? Thank you so much!:lol::lol:
Does the deaf program that you attend include teachers who sign or teachers with interpreters?

Oh sorry I read that wrong. I meant yes to both.
OK, do you feel comfortable with teachers w/ interpreters?

As you may know, college professors usually talk so fast due to time limit, therefore interpreters sign so fast that you might not understand. Compared to teachers who sign, deaf students understand them better.

I was a NTID student and all teachers signed so I passed all courses easily. But then I transferred to RIT where NTID is located, I had hard times to understand interpreters who signed so fast. The teachers didn't allow me to ask them to repeat. The teachers told us if we don't understand, stop by her/his office for help. That sucked so I withdrew from RIT.

I have no idea about other colleges that provide interpreters.

BTW, I am from NJ originally.

OK, do you feel comfortable with teachers w/ interpreters?

As you may know, college professors usually talk so fast due to time limit, therefore interpreters sign so fast that you might not understand. Compared to teachers who sign, deaf students understand them better.

I was a NTID student and all teachers signed so I passed all courses easily. But then I transferred to RIT where NTID is located, I had hard times to understand interpreters who signed so fast. The teachers didn't allow me to ask them to repeat. The teachers told us if we don't understand, stop by her/his office for help. That sucked so I withdrew from RIT.

I have no idea about other colleges that provide interpreters.

BTW, I am from NJ originally.

that sux. I had CART service so that helped me a lot.

This question seems more appropriate for a high school counselor or maybe even a college one if you can find one to talk to.

that sux. I had CART service so that helped me a lot.

I never had experience with the CART but i m sure I d love that. Can i keep those information after classroom? if so then it s real worth it to review it.

Back