Cold Case Deaf show

Mod Note:

Thread merged for the nth time. ;)

Cold Case is supposed to be based out of Philadelphia.

It was, as Chase remarked, audist in the way that the Deaf folks were seen as 1) possessive, 2) not inclusive, and 3) jealous. To view Deafness as an equally positive life experience would not make a very good Hollywood story. Actually, the writer(s) of that episode had taken the un-creative way in making the Deaf person jealous and evil. If you were to nix out the deafness and cochlear implant, you'd have a typical story of a best friend afraid to lose his best friend. I can see how it was a typically mainstream (read: majority) "feel good" kind of story and, of course, the hearing are in the majority and most suspect to receiving crappy script-writing.

Deaf bad.
Hear good.

Hear love Deaf.
Deaf hate Hear.

Deaf bad.
Hear good.

but my lingering thought at the end of the show where they booked 'Carlos' was - how would he survive prison being a deaf inmate? (I know this is Hollywood being discussed, but Im asking the question on a serious note.)

I spoke the other day with an ex-con who is now gearing up his studies into prison ministries. He has and, promises, will continue to fight for the legal rights of Maryland Deaf prisoners. Apparently, the lack of communication regarding new rules and regulations, changes, et al was the primary reason for Deaf prisoners being thrown into isolation or "the hole." It was easier for a prison guard to put the deaf prisoner "out of sight and out of mind." Over the past few years, sweeping changes were made in that Maryland, now, has a $300,000 budget set aside for deaf prisoners.

There are more visual information delivery systems (LED scrolling message signs), interpreters present for important meetings/gatherings, and each deaf (or "hearing impaired") inmate receives a personal pager (like a Sidekick) that informs them what is announced on the P.A. system (meal times, bed times, this time and that time).

It was admitted by him that it's still very hard to be a deaf inmate. The dynamics of a deaf inmate being constantly left out by the general prison population. Because the guards and other inmates are not conversant in sign language (of any kind), it is, by default, always the deaf inmate's fault.

"Don't ever go to prison," he told me. Not that I'd planned to, anyway.

I am not sure where it was filmed but I assume given the old english style of the set likely one of the deaf schools in the Northeast part of the country. (NTID, RIT, Gally) - never been to any of their campuses so I really cannot say.

It take place as Pennsylvania School for Deaf. I'm not sure how it look like. But it mention in city anyway.

Anyway, I finally caught on that show my roommate record on DVR from couple months ago that I didn't see until I did. So glad, I saw and I know who the actor - Ryan Lane. Turn out that he also will play in House MD which air next week on Monday. I'm excite.

I saw the show first time it aired. I liked it but it also left me with a weird feeling...I think that many hearies who have seen it will automatically believe that every deaf person can lipread with ease. :|

Back