cochlear war

People who war against on CI is kinds stupid but it need be person's decide to get CI or not.

Cloggy thought I'm fake person but he haven't meet me though, that hurt my feeling.

volcy -- I cannot blame Cloggy -- you've completely changed your way of posting and views and all -- I cannot place it but something is really awry!

I serve on a stem cell committee and we're like 5 yrs away from human trials on stem cell treatment for hearing loss.

So be happy, the cochlear war is almost over!

Richard

Not really CI war is over... there always have more Pros and Cons...

I serve on a stem cell committee and we're like 5 yrs away from human trials on stem cell treatment for hearing loss.

So be happy, the cochlear war is almost over!

Richard

Yeah but some of the objections to CIs would still apply to successful stem cell research. The ones I am thinking of is the argument that deaf people don't need to be "fixed" or cured and also the objection that it would destroy the deaf culture. So I imagine there would still be some, if not more opposition from some deaf quarters toward stem cell regeneration because at least with CIs people are still deaf even though they can hear.

Richard, just b/c stem cell therapy trials are only 5 years away, I'd have to say I'm still very cynical. There's no real evidence that says that it will or won't work. It might work, but then again it might not. Plus I mean I think that scienctists should concentrate on curing things like depression, Aleizheimers etc first.
There have always been cures on the horizon. Stem cells could turn out to be legit, but they could also turn out to be not too helpful.

Richard, just b/c stem cell therapy trials are only 5 years away, I'd have to say I'm still very cynical. There's no real evidence that says that it will or won't work. It might work, but then again it might not. Plus I mean I think that scienctists should concentrate on curing things like depression, Aleizheimers etc first.
There have always been cures on the horizon. Stem cells could turn out to be legit, but they could also turn out to be not too helpful.

Not to mention, we have to factor in the the possibilty that the person undergoing a stem cell transplant, might also need to take anti-rejection drugs. I am not too learned on the procedure, but it's not out of the rhealm to compare stem cell research to organ donation. This would probably mean that Drs. would offer the procedure to those with life threatening or debilitating illnesses first before they offered it to people with hearing loss.

Whoa.. you are open minded eh? Wish my grandma was like that. She is very racist and narrow-minded. My mom's side of the family is umm like white power stuff. Ugh!

I remember my grandmother being like that too... Guess it helped having narrow-minded people in my family so that I don't turn out like them!

This is exacty why i refuse get a CI. I Really do Belive stem cells is the key to 80% bodly disfuntions and cancers.If Birds can regenerate cells in their hearing docs can find away do that too though stem cell.But first we gotta get George Bush outta that white house.

Yeah I know and my mom is like that too so I am glad I didnt turn out to be like her. I am all about diversity and other things so I am proud to be non-racist.

I remember my grandmother being like that too... Guess it helped having narrow-minded people in my family so that I don't turn out like them!

Stem cell does NOT ALWAYS work so quit complaining and try out for a CI. Stem cell can take up to 20 years so why wait??????

This is exacty why i refuse get a CI. I Really do Belive stem cells is the key to 80% bodly disfuntions and cancers.If Birds can regenerate cells in their hearing docs can find away do that too though stem cell.But first we gotta get George Bush outta that white house.

Stem cell does NOT ALWAYS work so quit complaining and try out for a CI. Stem cell can take up to 20 years so why wait??????

I know, Felix. Buck should take a look at this. It's a link explaining the advantages and the disadvantages to stem cell research.

Stem Cell Type Comparison: Advantages and Disadvantages

This is a highly technical article, but the bottom line is this... It's similiar to organ transplatation, which carries risk. People shouldn't take stem cell research lightly.

This is exacty why i refuse get a CI. I Really do Belive stem cells is the key to 80% bodly disfuntions and cancers. If Birds can regenerate cells in their hearing docs can find away do that too though stem cell. But first we gotta get George Bush outta that white house.
In order to get the best benefit from CI (being born deaf) is that sound is heard, speach is learned before the age of 6.
So, parents do not have the luxary to wait for stem cells.

You might be able to wait, but that will still be a long wait. Especially with GWB blocking all research!

You do know that using adult stem cells is actually proving more successful then using fetal stem cells right? So the fact that no more fetal stem cell lines can be used in gov. funded studies (they can continue to add more in 'privately' funded studies) really isn't that big of an issue.

Cloggy;619873 You might be able to wait said:
GWB has not blocked Federal funding for stem cell research. He has blocked Federal funding to fetal stem cell research using newly established fetal stem cell lines. Private funds can continue to fund research using fetal stem cells if they really want to. The feds will fund research using older fetal stem cell lines. The feds are also funding research using adult stem cells so research is funded. This is how I've always understood it.

Back