Cochlear Implants

kspj2

Reaction score
I will be getting a cochlear Implant July 7 and will be using Nucleus Freedom the latest thing came out since April 2005. Has anyone have this yet? Any side effect after surgery and etc? I wanted two implants but my insurance only pay for One implant.I been wearing hearing aid since age 4 and start to talk at the age of 4 and now my aid is not like it use to be and my hearing is going downhill as I get older. What causes my deafness was My mother had german measles before I was born has anyone have this like I have???

Hi there,
My husband told me that he met the c.i. person that he told him that every person who born deaf who gets one c.i. on left side only but not two of them. I have been wearing my c.i. for one year since April 2004 and I really like my c.i. very much but it's a lot of adjust to get use the new sounds for me to learn it. My mother was pregrant with me with asian flu in first trimseter that's why I born deaf. My c.i. is the Nucleus Esprit 3G. My insurance medicare can pay for everything for outpatient surgery and the c.i. too so I have been experienced from my first surgery that I was little nervous but I just calm down and comforable with my husband until it was my time to go surgery and I woke up and didn't feel nothing but touch my head with bandaids but I had bad headaches for few days and after that, I feel better but I had to sleep my pillow one side for whole night because my left ear was so sore I think it's about 6weeks to heal and I feel much better and back to normal. I think you will be okay for surgery and will enjoy your c.i. with new sounds. I wish you good luck !!!!!

i just had mine nucleus freedom implanted last april 18th.. i spent 1 night at the hosiptal.. then went home sleep pretty much on a recliner chair.. sleeping overnight on recline chair it helps :-D

had it hooked up since may 16th.. liked it so far... but the first few days of wearing it it sounds terrible. but thru time it gets better... :-D

Seriously, please don't get CI.

CI is like a Hilter to the Deaf world.

If you don't take my word and please don't implant two CI in your head. I don't think it will works great. I had CI and I quit because I am very proud to be deaf.

Crazymanw00t said:
Seriously, please don't get CI.

CI is like a Hilter to the Deaf world.

If you don't take my word and please don't implant two CI in your head. I don't think it will works great. I had CI and I quit because I am very proud to be deaf.

Please respect adult's and children's choice if they want to have CI.

crazyman: if you dun like the discussion, dun come in here.

kspj2: you sound like me when i was growing up, except my mom didn't have german measle. I learned how to read and talk at 4 yr old. Hmm I not sure when i started wearing hearing aids, i think 18 months. I am waiting for a letter from the ci team to tell me wheter i am a candiate or not.. :dunno:

kspj2: I've had my CI for 5 months and absolutely love it. I was implanted with the Nucleus 24 Contour Advance (the last Nucleus CI model before the Freedom). As for side effects with surgery...I woke up in recovery with a sore neck and headache -- but was given medication for the pain. Some people also report having a sore jaw (difficulty chewing), numbness on one side of the tongue and dizziness. However, most people only experience one or two of these symptoms, if any. The most bothersome symptom for me was a headache which was taken care of by the pain medications I was given by my surgeon. You may also notice that the area around your ear, earlobe, and/or implant feel numb. This is normal as well and will subside gradually. I had my CI surgery last December and no longer notice any numbness near my ear or the implant site. Good luck with your surgery July 7th! :)

darkangel: Good luck on your candidacy for a CI! :)

dsw61 mentioned being unable to sleep on the implant site. I had that problem too. I suggest sleeping in a recliner for the first 1-2 weeks. This will not only be more comfortable, but it will also give the implant area a chance to heal/breathe. If you have problems with dizziness after surgery, sleeping in a recliner will help lesson these symptoms.

Other things to keep in mind:

You may feel great during the first 24-48 hours after surgery, but on the 3rd day you might feel much worse. (This is because of your body trying to rid itself of anethesia.) Be sure to take it easy for the first week following surgery. I started to feel like myself again by the 5th day after surgery.

When you come home from surgery you may not feel like cooking. Be sure to keep plenty of easy to prepare foods on hand after surgery: pudding, macaroni and cheese, ice cream, popsicles (good for a sore throat), soup, etc.

I am waiting for a letter from the ci team to tell me wheter i am a candiate or not..
Very good luck on that...it might be harder for you to get approval since you're in Canada, but on the other hand if I recall your hearing status correctly, you don't really have any speech perception even with hearing aids, so that's a plus!

Hear Again said:
dsw61 mentioned being unable to sleep on the implant site. I had that problem too. I suggest sleeping in a recliner for the first 1-2 weeks. This will not only be more comfortable, but it will also give the implant area a chance to heal/breathe. If you have problems with dizziness after surgery, sleeping in a recliner will help lesson these symptoms.

You may feel great during the first 24-48 hours after surgery, but on the 3rd day you might feel much worse. (This is because of your body trying to rid itself of anethesia.) Be sure to take it easy for the first week following surgery. I started to feel like myself again by the 5th day after surgery.

When you come home from surgery you may not feel like cooking. Be sure to keep plenty of easy to prepare foods on hand after surgery: pudding, macaroni and cheese, ice cream, popsicles (good for a sore throat), soup, etc.

Yes that what I plan to do is sleep in my comfy recliner LOL LOL. Did anyone on here have the long incision old fashion way or a little incision? They said, I won't have the old fashion kind (the long one) and less swelling too.

"Did anyone on here have the long incision old fashion way or a little incision? They said, I won't have the old fashion kind (the long one) and less swelling too."

Today's CI surgery is much different than it used to be even a few years ago. For instance, the incision is much smaller and less hair is shaved around the implant site. In addition, most surgeons now use dissolveable stitches which means they don't have to be removed. :)

I had my CI surgery last December and had a small incision. My surgeon barely shaved any of my hair and used dissolveable stitches. I didn't have alot of swelling around my ear or the implant area. In fact, by the time I was activated, the only sign of my implant was a tiny bump located just above and behind my left ear.

kspj2 said:
Yes that what I plan to do is sleep in my comfy recliner LOL LOL. Did anyone on here have the long incision old fashion way or a little incision? They said, I won't have the old fashion kind (the long one) and less swelling too.
i had a small cut.. barely visiable. thats A+ the old fashion tend to have a longer period of healing..

i don't know if ur's the same as mine... mine is a small cut just behind my ear and a inch above my ear. and was able to washi my hair 2 days after surgery.. the staples are disolveable.. and its not required to go back to doctor to remove the staples. but i'm required to see the doctor anyways to make sure its all healing fine.

the hair i had was only shaved small.. not a huge area.. so its not really visiable to see my hair shaved... just like what hear again have.. thats an advantage....

If I had to guess, my incision was no more than 2 inches long. I could wash my hair 48 hours after surgery but was advised to keep the implant area dry to prevent infection. Like deafscuba, I had to see my doctor for a post-op appointment to make sure the incision was healing well. Even on the day of my activation my surgeon took another look at the implant area just to make sure there were no problems before my audi fitted the magnet/headpiece. :)

Hear Again said:

Hi my name is dsw61 that I have my back plm so that I had to sleep one side with body pillow so I feel so comforable and able to get up to go bathroom at night that's close enough to my master bathroom to get rid of my anethesia lot of times during night. I would not able to be comforable to sleep on the recliner chair because of my back.

All I know from one of the workshop I had attend says that Australia is losing numbers of deaf people because of technology. If more and more deaf using CI or stem cell, the deaf community in United State America will become smaller by 2050. I think that what year he said or maybe 2020. I wish I wrote it down what year. If I found out more, I will let you know.

Also, people had died from using/wearing CI. The person at the workshop will make a film about it as soon as he gather all the information about death. I am looking foward to see the film.

when I find out about the statitics about losing deaf people to hearing world and number of people who died, I will share this on here. Unless someone here knows and hope to share the information with us.

I'm curious from you CI users.

A friend of mine did a research paper on CI and told me that sign language is discouraged because it defeats the purpose of having CI. Using CI should be associated with speaking and listening. Have you been told or instructed when getting CI?

If more and more deaf using CI or stem cell, the deaf community in United State America will become smaller by 2050. I think that what year he said or maybe 2020
Maybe, maybe not. They thought that hearing aids would shrink the Deaf world, way back when they were first introduced...I would bet you anything that there were oral experts who said that hearing aids were the END of Deaf Culture!

did a research paper on CI and told me that sign language is discouraged because it defeats the purpose of having CI. Using CI should be associated with speaking and listening.
It says on Coachlear's site that their users are evenly divided between oral and TCers!!!!

quiet gal said:
All I know from one of the workshop I had attend says that Australia is losing numbers of deaf people because of technology. If more and more deaf using CI or stem cell, the deaf community in United State America will become smaller by 2050. I think that what year he said or maybe 2020. I wish I wrote it down what year.
Nothing wrong with deaf people being able to hear through technology,nothing wrong at all

CIs will never destroy deaf culture. A CI doesn't prevent someone (child or adult) from using ASL. As long as ASL exists, deaf culture will too.

As for deaths associated with CIs...Compared to the number of people who have been successfully implanted, deaths related (*only*) to CIs are rare.

McGusto, I couldn't agree more with your post!! :) We should *all* be given the right to decide for ourselves what technology or mode of communication (oral, ASL, TC, etc.) is best for our needs. How would a deaf person feel if I criticized them for using ASL and not PSE, SEE or TC? If I respect a deaf person's right to sign, why can't he/she respect my choice to have a CI? Respect is a two way street. :)

Back