Cochlear Implants Decrease Your IQ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL, yet another stupid myth that ranks up there with the microwave one.

People are stupid because they don't put in the effort to educate themselves. People with CI who are stupid are stupid just because. People without CI who are stupid are stupid just because! Geez!

IQ has nothing to do with how you dress, how your haircut looks nor the color of your skin. This is really ridiculious!

I vote for this thread to be :locked: for its utter stupidity. I lost 10 IQ points after sifting through this thread :slap:

You are funny...I am laughing at your statement...

Hmm, funny. Would I, a CI-er, be taking college classes in high school if CIs were dermerital to one's IQ?
The claim is B******T.

On the other hand............I don't think that CIs cause mental retardation, but I wonder if maybe oralism might cause learning disabilites or disreprencies between nonverbal and verbal IQ? I remmy reading that dhh people tend to have lower verbal IQs, but high nonverbal IQs.

On the other hand............I don't think that CIs cause mental retardation, but I wonder if maybe oralism might cause learning disabilites or disreprencies between nonverbal and verbal IQ? I remmy reading that dhh people tend to have lower verbal IQs, but high nonverbal IQs.

Link?

Oralism does not cause learning disablities. Learning disablities are underlying conditions that most people don't pick up on unless something happens to reveal the disablity. Say a kid was born with dyslexia, and no one knew until someone noticed that "Jon" wasn't reading as well as his peers. Oralism may show that some people have learning disablities, but it does not cause them.

Oralism does not cause learning disablities. Learning disablities are underlying conditions that most people don't pick up on unless something happens to reveal the disablity. Say a kid was born with dyslexia, and no one knew until someone noticed that "Jon" wasn't reading as well as his peers. Oralism may show that some people have learning disablities, but it does not cause them.

I agree. Besides there are studies on Pub Med that show that children with CIs particularly if they were implanted earlier do much better verbally than comparable children with hearing aids. This shows that it is not oralism per se that causes the problem but rather the nature of the hearing loss. Sign language is another alternative way of addressing the issue of a deaf child acquiring language IQ, and it's obvious that for many children it is clearly better than oralism and hearing aids.

Hear! Hear! I was totally agog over this inane thread.

There is absolutely no correlation between a CI and IQ. None, nada, zitch.

I can agree that a CI can provide tremendous benefits for a person but not in the IQ department. As Dennis said, it is simply a tool...some can make full use of it and others have trouble with it no matter what they do.

I'm with you, Dennis, Boult, Fragmenter, fyborg, Artoo and the rest! :popcorn:

CI and IQ have nothing to do with each other -- the only thing they have in common is 2 letters!

When Fragmenter told us about having our grandson implanted, he used the word "tool" -- it was the first time I've heard (well, okay, seen) used this way and it totally changed my views on CIs -- Fragmenter's son was implanted over a month ago and was activated about 2 weeks ago and he is still the smart kid he was.

I'm with you, Dennis, Boult, Fragmenter, fyborg, Artoo and the rest! :popcorn:

CI and IQ have nothing to do with each other -- the only thing they have in common is 2 letters!

When Fragmenter told us about having our grandson implanted, he used the word "tool" -- it was the first time I've heard (well, okay, seen) used this way and it totally changed my views on CIs -- Fragmenter's son was implanted over a month ago and was activated about 2 weeks ago and he is still the smart kid he was.

It's common for children who still in school with plenty of education but CI surgery on babies, or even toddlers and adults are just fine because no school, not alot of education that what children who learn at school.

Sorry guys maybe LD wasn't a good choice of words. I didn't mean an organic learning disabilty......like the kind I have or like dyslexia. More like a learning disabilty that might be caused by hyperfocusing on spoken language, and neglecting other areas. I do remember reading that some oral school graduates tend to be behind academicly b/c so much of their time was spent going "boo be bah" rather then on content areas. Just trying to explain myself.
Oh, and OB, I read that stat in Journey to the Deaf World.......

Sorry guys maybe LD wasn't a good choice of words. I didn't mean an organic learning disabilty......like the kind I have or like dyslexia. More like a learning disabilty that might be caused by hyperfocusing on spoken language, and neglecting other areas. I do remember reading that some oral school graduates tend to be behind academicly b/c so much of their time was spent going "boo be bah" rather then on content areas. Just trying to explain myself.

That is NOT a LD--that's called being behind.

I believe that oral students (I'll admit I am biased since I'm one of them) can succeed given the right education. I spent an hour each day for fifteen years doing speech--there was enough time to do the basics, i,e., reading, writing, math and social studies. I never spent the entire day going through the Ling drill, and I'm sure my parents would have been highly displeased if I did.

It's common for children who still in school with plenty of education but CI surgery on babies, or even toddlers and adults are just fine because no school, not alot of education that what children who learn at school.

Please restate that -- I don't quite get your point...

:confused: :dunno2:

That is NOT a LD--that's called being behind.

I believe that oral students (I'll admit I am biased since I'm one of them) can succeed given the right education. I spent an hour each day for fifteen years doing speech--there was enough time to do the basics, i,e., reading, writing, math and social studies. I never spent the entire day going through the Ling drill, and I'm sure my parents would have been highly displeased if I did.

Gosh an hour a day! I never did any of that. Never had speech therapy in my life and I was raised orally too. I think I would have rebelled being made to do ling sounds for an hour a day....

Gosh an hour a day! I never did any of that. Never had speech therapy in my life and I was raised orally too. I think I would have rebelled being made to do ling sounds for an hour a day....

No speech therapy? :eek3: I didn't rebel with the drills, but it was just a lot of work articulating every single word. Were you born deaf, or did you go deaf?

That's not the same, D/D, at all. I was held back for the same reasons; only in my case, I spent time in physical therapy learning how to walk with crutches or doing other exercises. That's entirely different from an organic LD. Someone already said it. It's called being behind, and doesn't just occur in oral oriented d/hh kids. It can happen to any special needs child.

Also, next time when you cite sources verbally, could you provide a link? It would help us to be able to read the data for ourselves. :)

That's not the same, D/D, at all. I was held back for the same reasons; only in my case, I spent time in physical therapy learning how to walk with crutches or doing other exercises. That's entirely different from an organic LD. Someone already said it. It's called being behind, and doesn't just occur in oral oriented d/hh kids. It can happen to any special needs child.

:gpost: It happens to a lot of students - ones with disabilities who need some sort of therapy (sensory, physical, psychological, you name it), ones whose parents move a lot, ones who are very active in an extracurricular (I've known a few kids who missed significant amounts of school due to athletic training and competition), "healthy" kids who get mono or a drug-resistant infection ...

:gpost: It happens to a lot of students - ones with disabilities who need some sort of therapy (sensory, physical, psychological, you name it), ones whose parents move a lot, ones who are very active in an extracurricular (I've known a few kids who missed significant amounts of school due to athletic training and competition), "healthy" kids who get mono or a drug-resistant infection ...

Yes. So, basically, pretty much any child who's social/edcuational development is interrupted. It can be for any and all reasons. It also doesn't mean the child is learning disabled.

Coincidentally, I AM also learning disabled. I was diagnosed with "cognitive impairments" (according to my IEP), at the age of 9. This was before ADD became the rage. If I ever bother to do so, I may have myself retested to see if, in fact, I do have ADD. I believe I do.

Anyway, that's O/T. :Oops:

Yes. So, basically, pretty much any child who's social/edcuational development is interrupted. It can be for any and all reasons. It also doesn't mean the child is learning disabled.

Coincidentally, I AM also learning disabled. I was diagnosed with "cognitive impairments" (according to my IEP), at the age of 9. This was before ADD became the rage. If I ever bother to do so, I may have myself retested to see if, in fact, I do have ADD. I believe I do.

Anyway, that's O/T. :Oops:

Topic off.. I think I might have congnitive impairment. They never test on me yet and thought I seem fine but not true. I was abused by my blood dad. My old brother saw it and told me it was terrible something I did not remember. Also my head was hit by fists about 80 times in single day in 1989. I survived. I seem like senile in my age. :(

Topic off.. I think I might have congnitive impairment. They never test on me yet and thought I seem fine but not true. I was abused by my blood dad. My old brother saw it and told me it was terrible something I did not remember. Also my head was hit by fists about 80 times in single day in 1989. I survived. I seem like senile in my age. :(

OK. This is different than what I was saying. In my case, the term "cognitive impairment" was a label they used to denote learning disabilities. I mentioned ADD, because that's what I believe my LD falls under, but I was diagnosed before ADD became known.

We are also straying pretty far from the topic now.

The topic is asking whether CIs decrease your IQ. I think it's been pretty well established that that is a notion that is full of bs.... :lol:

Last year I found the story about CI can increase IQ they believe. I gave link to SmileyGin. I still not find. I would not post here about anyway. Maybe she has it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back