Cochlear Implants are the best!

i know it's kinda old but listen this one

Mosholder8 said:
I think the implants are the key to the future of the deaf. I honestly think you all should consider getting one. I know you may say that you're proud to be deaf and some may say God won't be happy. God had a plan for us, he gave us a chance to hear. The Implants are our answers. It took me almost 3 years to decide to get it. Honestly I'm telling you, it helps SO much! I can talk on the phone now, talk to people with my head turned away from them.I can understand 80% of everything. God gave me that, and he will give it to you too. For those of you guys that are against it, should give it a chance. Open up and understand.

Hi,
Im new member of this site, but i would like to tell you about little thing about CI.... Myself i had CI since year of 1985 which i was about 5 yrs old.. right now im 24.. I kinda agianst of it cuz i had been experience with CI. For now with new techonaly I don't know what i can say cuz with new techonalaly they can go MRI... going to scuba.. etc.. for me I can't do those cuz it will take a high risk of the death.

Right now they have CI channel 25.. i don't have that enuf infromation about it... All I know i have is Channel 1.. pretty old eh?

I have few people who have CI and they aren't succesful them as my option because they born deaf, they can't fix with thier hearing... i think it will succesful if you aren't born deaf, become deaf age of 3 to whatever it should might help cuz you might have the some hearing in your ear. Im very profound deaf and it's not succesful for me.

And, no. It's not true that the doctors only want the money. No way, never ever think of that please. My surgeon only did it for me, he didn't want the money.He didn't do it for the money. Honestly,THE DOCTORS OUT THERE ARE TO HELP YOU WITH THE FUTURE OF HEARING!
Call me cynical but I don't believe that. Health care is extremely profitable. If there was no money involved in healthcare, then CIs and hearing aids and things like that would NOT be pushed so much!
:roll:Fantastic reasoning
mylittlemen, I don't think it's a reason NOT to get CI but it is a good reason NOT to go pure oral. Even those of us who are "almost hearing" with hearing aids or CI, deal with difficult listening situtions like those all the time...and it is EXTREMELY frustrating!
I think a big part of the reason why some Deaf folks are anti-CI is b/c they connect it so strongly with going oral only. Most of us here know the limitations of oralism. Many of us are glad we can hear and speak, but we also wish we'd grown up with Sign as well! Getting an implant doesn't mean that the kid will be oral only. I see a lot of Deafies confusing oralism and implantation...what a lot of people here don't realize is that many parents would choose oralism even without CI!

deafdyke said:
Call me cynical but I don't believe that. Health care is extremely profitable. If there was no money involved in healthcare, then CIs and hearing aids and things like that would NOT be pushed so much!

mylittlemen, I don't think it's a reason NOT to get CI but it is a good reason NOT to go pure oral. Even those of us who are "almost hearing" with hearing aids or CI, deal with difficult listening situtions like those all the time...and it is EXTREMELY frustrating!
I think a big part of the reason why some Deaf folks are anti-CI is b/c they connect it so strongly with going oral only. Most of us here know the limitations of oralism. Many of us are glad we can hear and speak, but we also wish we'd grown up with Sign as well! Getting an implant doesn't mean that the kid will be oral only. I see a lot of Deafies confusing oralism and implantation...what a lot of people here don't realize is that many parents would choose oralism even without CI!

Sorry thats kind of weak. I hate the fact that as someone who is profoudly deaf I have to witness all this one way crap. Illustrater I take that little picture as an insult and I think you are another poor me. I hope none of you see something you dont like I wouldnt want you to take your eyes out with a hot spoon. I know lets all lock our selves in a closet until we die. How about you just live life to the best of your ability and stop looking for the easy way out

I hate the fact that as someone who is profoudly deaf I have to witness all this one way crap
Loomis, I am almost hearing with my hearing aids! (I'm severely Hoh...and actually Levonian who orginally posted the cartoon only has a unilateral loss!)
I know what I'm talking about! Hearing aids and CIs and oralism DO NOT provide 100% equality to dhh kids. Hearing aids and CIs, and oral training DO help many kids, but they don't give 100% equality! Saying they do, is the equalivant of claiming that a black family who is rich (like the Huxtables on the Cosby show) is 100% equal to a rich white family.

Mosholder8 said:
I think the implants are the key to the future of the deaf. I honestly think you all should consider getting one. I know you may say that you're proud to be deaf and some may say God won't be happy. God had a plan for us, he gave us a chance to hear. The Implants are our answers. It took me almost 3 years to decide to get it. Honestly I'm telling you, it helps SO much! I can talk on the phone now, talk to people with my head turned away from them.I can understand 80% of everything. God gave me that, and he will give it to you too. For those of you guys that are against it, should give it a chance. Open up and understand.

ok... i'm glad that it worked for you. i had my implant put in when i was 7, i lost my hearing when i was 3, doctors thought there was a high chance that it would work for me as well as it has for you. i went to a lot of speech therapists and that stupid place where they test your reaction to the CI. now, more than 10 years later, what's the result? i can't understand what people are saying without looking at their lips, i can't talk on the phone, and my speech is barely understandable. wearing the CI gives me bad headaches and sometimes my vision got a little bit clouded. like you said, god gives us things.. god chose for me to be deaf, period. hearing aides and CI didn't work for me so why should i bother going aganist what i am meant to be? yes, the CI worked for you.. but resepct what others feel. others may have gone through the whole process and ended up with it not working, or they may just be aganist the whole idea.

I wish I could able to build my own Machine Time that I could go to the future to have them fix my inner ear to be hear-able. :aw:

Cochlear Implants are BEST for people
who want to hear these Fart sounds.

I do NOT want to hear anything!!! Even when
I tried to use a hearing aid to listen any sounds,
I find all kinds of sounds into my ears are
very very distracting and annoying.

I simply do NOT want to hear anything
only because it's something like a peace for me.
I would go crazy if I can hear... so
I keep thank to the Lord for making me Deaf !!!

Even if there is a newly developed medicine pill
right here to heal my hearing, then I would
NEVER swallow that pill anyway....

I noticed that Some people
wanted to pray to heal my hearing got into
my nerves !!!! I told them that
I need prayers for something else, but they
still insist praying for healing my hearing.
That turned me OFF.. I had to repeat myself
to them that I do NOT want any prayers
for healing my hearing. They seem to have
a difficult time to understand this.

yes, the CI worked for you.. but resepct what others feel. others may have gone through the whole process and ended up with it not working, or they may just be aganist the whole idea.
Thank you lilredridinghood! Sucess varies tremendously. Some deaf folks are hoh with it on, but others only get improved perception of speech, others only envrioemntal sounds and so on. That is strange that your implant didn't give you really good results....deafened kids have done the best with the implant.
Even if there is a newly developed medicine pill
right here to heal my hearing, then I would
NEVER swallow that pill anyway....
Me either. I would never want to be hearing. I like being deaf. I think hearing is overhyped anyway...and you have no clue how many hearing folks have told me that they wish they could turn their hearing off like I do (I am and have always been notorious for turning my hearing aids off on people) Being dhh is a state of being that's equal to being hearing.

I am sorry and i still disagree with c.i. because I born full deaf..
when my mom took me to go to hospital for ear testing. i asked my mom what is going on with my both of two ears ? my mom wont tell me about c.i
when the doctor showed me a picture of c.i and c. i machine something like that .... i yelled at the doctor and dont fuck play around with my both ears. and dont touch my ear PERIOD . my mom started CRY. i told my mom dont ever take me to go ear testing for c.i. and i asked my mom why ??? my mom want me can hear everything sound.. hey mom , you were preganat with me and i born full deaf and leave my ear alone ... i am normal deaf ... the doctor keep explained to me and i wont listen to him .... i yelled at the doctor twice times. then i walked away from the doctor... my mom was looked for me one hours and i was smoking cigraette and cool off... my mom said okay and just drop it and forget it .... i told mom that dont do again and i am sorry i still disagree the c.i.
i told my mom that i really love my both of ears "deaf" and i dont care what hearing people think about me because deafness!
so my mom just learn something from me and she just leave me alone and she hugs me and understand how i feel !

kristy,
Your mother is a wonderful woman & accept what you are...
Most I know, pulled their children to Surgery... They hate their parents for that...

That´s why I wouldn´t do that to my children... I rather leave my children to choice if they want CI or not.

I would of rush to wear hearing aid on my children after discover they are deaf. Let them to learn deaf & CI culture...

I would support my children´s wish if they want to have CI or not.

I don´t beleive to pull my children to Surgery because they didn´t ask for it or didn´t want it... That´s why I rather to leave my children to choose because it´s their bodies they wear rest of their life, not me.

I must say that your mother is a wonderful woman & respect your wish for not CI.

Thanks! My mom and i are very closer since i was little girl to now ! i know my mom is very wonderful mother and very good raised me and another five kids.
she always understand how i feel and she and i always sit down and work out together than agurement .. it is not good when we are agreement each other.
my mom and i always talk together and wont give up !
my brothers and sisters knew that my mom and i are very closer than another kids but my mom still loves her another five kids no matter what !
thank you for tell me and i will show my mom what you said ! i think she might become a proud herself !

deafdyke said:
Loomis, I am almost hearing with my hearing aids! (I'm severely Hoh...and actually Levonian who orginally posted the cartoon only has a unilateral loss!)
I know what I'm talking about! Hearing aids and CIs and oralism DO NOT provide 100% equality to dhh kids. Hearing aids and CIs, and oral training DO help many kids, but they don't give 100% equality! Saying they do, is the equalivant of claiming that a black family who is rich (like the Huxtables on the Cosby show) is 100% equal to a rich white family.

I should have included everyone for being stupid Im sorry not just the profound deaf. If you are HOH and say stupid ignorant things guess what .........thats right your stupid an uninformed. Lets all reaserch before we speak. And dont bring race into this either because I am half black and I am doing quite well for myself and guess what I am equall to all white blacks and spanish and ...get the point JACKASS!

Ooh. Big debate. Again, I state that it is all pro-choice, and an individual has the right and freedom to decide what is best for themselves. I do not believe it is right to put a CI in a baby because the baby is completely unaware and has no choice in the matter. Also, how would they know if it is suitable (with his personality and special needs) for them.

I also do not agree with constant arguing over what is best for everyone, everyone is different, if we do not recognise that, then we are simply clones. Clones of one clone. It makes a difference to people, it does not to some, and some might even not have an impact. I believe everyone is unique and in that uniqueness, different, and thus, choices are made for different reasons.

I rather leave my children to choice if they want CI or not.

I would of rush to wear hearing aid on my children after discover they are deaf. Let them to learn deaf & CI culture...
Yes, but what if hearing aids don't work? What if they have a type of loss that doesn't respond well to hearing aids?
If you are HOH and say stupid ignorant things guess what .........thats right your stupid an uninformed. Lets all reaserch before we speak. !
You have really bought into the rhetoric that psedeo-hearing and the tool of spoken language for dhh brings 100% equality. If that were true, then we wouldn't have rampent unemployment in the dhh community (this includes oral deaf as well as hoh, as well as late deafened!) We would not have poor reading levels for virtually ALL dhh (including oral deaf and hoh!) we would not have rampent drug and alchohol abuse problems, we wouldn't deal with high rates of depression and so on!!!!
And dont bring race into this either because I am half black and I am doing quite well for myself and guess what I am equall to all white blacks and spanish and ...get the point JACKASS
That's great that you've done well for yourself...however do you not still deal with racism and white (majority) privilage in your day to day life? Did you deal with poor expectations (educational, job, economic etc) growing up? Did you get made fun of b/c you're biracial?
If you do, then that means that in the eyes of the public, you are still not equal to the majority average middle class suburban person!

I have a CI and it rocks as well. Love to hear.

Malfoyish, I feel bad that you had to go through so much trouble. I have Clarion (S-Series) but without the positioner. You're truly lucky you went to hospital for mengitisis otherwise it could have killed you.

I got email *and* letter from AB saying about the mengititis so I am surprised you didn't get it.

Some people simply do not do well with implants, no matter what. They shouldn't be getting flak for not being able to do well.

-jeff

WASHINGTON (AP) CLARION and HiResolution cochlear implants can malfunction if moisture reaches the circuitry, the manufacturer said Friday, advising consumers to contact their doctor if they suspect a problem.
Advanced Bionics issued a worldwide recall of the devices that have not yet been implanted. The recall was triggered by a company review of complaints and analyses of returned devices.

No patient injuries have been reported. The recall does not extend to the 2,500 devices that already have been implanted in patients' ears.

Cochlear implants, which employ digital pulses that the brain interprets as sound, are used by the profoundly deaf. Faulty devices can produce a loud noise or pop, cause sudden pain, lose function intermittently or stop producing sound entirely. Malfunctioning devices may require replacement.

Recalled are roughly 440 devices made by Advanced Bionics, a Sylmar, Calif., company that was acquired by Boston Scientific Corp. in June. The recalled devices can stop working if moisture reaches internal circuitry.

Implant recipients who suspect a faulty cochlear implant should use the back-up cable, external headpiece, then the sound processor. Remove the external headpiece and contact a doctor if problems with the device persist.

People with questions may call Advanced Bionics at 1-877-454-5038 on weekdays, from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. EDT.

Back