Cochlear Implant Last Weds...

TheIronQueen

Reaction score
Hi, I got my cochlear implant on weds. The only complication from the surgery was that my ear canal was cut when the doctor found and cut away scar tissue from my first ear surgery. I want to know though, is it normal to feel the under the skin part? I feel rather uncomfortable. How long does this go on? Do you eventually "break it in"?
Thanks

First of all, congratulations on your surgery. :)

Yes -- being able to feel your CI underneath the skin is normal and nothing to be concerned about.

When you say you feel uncomfortable, what do you mean? Did your doctor give you any pain meds? If so, I would take them as prescribed instead of trying to bear through the pain yourself. There's no need to be in pain if you don't have to be.

Then again, if you mean something else (such as neck pain) taking extra strength Tylenol might help.

After my second CI surgery my entire body felt as if it had been run over by a truck, but after about a week to 10 days I was back to my normal self. (NOTE: Everyone has different rates of recovery. Some do not experience any complaints following surgery and are back to work or school after a few days to a week.)

Hope these suggestions help and do keep us posted on how you are doing. :)

Well, my ear hurts more because when the doctor went in, he found a lot of scar tissue from my first ear surgery that was impeding his work. When he cut away at some tissue (to reach my cochlea) he accidentally cut my ear canal. The pain is starting to subside when i sit still for a long period of time, but lying down or inclining my head a certain angle pulls at that area. A couple of days ago I started feeling facial pain in addition to a bruised feeling elsewhere. The pain is like a bruise on my jawline and upper cheekbone. I'm on Tyenol with codeine, but i didn't feel like it was helping the pain. The good doctor prescribed a stronger narcotic, which helped. I haven't felt the absence of pain or discomfort for this entire time though... Not to scare others who haven't been implanted, my pain is more due to my scar tissue being disturbed.
I'm rambling... sorry.

Ouch!! I hope your pains will heal soon for you, I'm sorry for what you're going through right now, I supposed that you'll have to expect the worst before it gets better, hope it won't be too long. Hang in there. ;)

Hi, I got my cochlear implant on weds. The only complication from the surgery was that my ear canal was cut when the doctor found and cut away scar tissue from my first ear surgery. I want to know though, is it normal to feel the under the skin part? I feel rather uncomfortable. How long does this go on? Do you eventually "break it in"?
Thanks

I had my surgery in July. I did feel a tightness where they put the implant. It took awhile to get use to it. I think mine felt better by activation 3 weeks later. Each person is different. I suggest you either call or e-mail your doctor and let him know. Also take some otc medicine will help.

when will you get activated?

Oh, now 5 months later, I know it is there, just does not bother me.

Congrats on having gone through the CI surgery! I am still trying to find funding before I can proceed with the CI process.

Hope the pain is starting to improve for you now TheIronqueen! Is your doctor expecting for the accidental cut to fully heal? Without complications, it can feel painful for a few days anyway and usually you will feel a lot better about a week afterwards. Just to give you an idea.

Do you have a date for your switch on?

I have no advice to offer since I am not a CI user but just wanted to wish u a speedy recovery. That sounds painful especially the tugging part.

Likewise, I hope that your pain subsides soon, and that your CI meets all of your expectations.

LTH responded and said they couldn't help me (or those who have no insurance coverage?)...

LTH responded and said they couldn't help me (or those who have no insurance coverage?)...

I thought their goal was to help all deaf people regardless?? Guess not.

How odd. I was informed just yesterday that they never turned anyone away regardless of their abiltiy to pay. Hmmm.

But really, I am sorry that you are having such a difficult time.

As I understand it, their goal is to help people who has insurance that refuses to pay for CI. They go after the insurance that refuses to pay for CI and they should pay for it cause it is a medicial. Insurances are there to pay for things we need cause medicial is very expensive. It is not right for them to deny things that people need just cause they dont want to pay for it. If they are willing to take monthly payments in exchange for paying our medicial bills then they should pay for everything. Not pick and choose what they think we need.

Congratulations on your cochlear implant surgery! I couldn't feel my implant the first week but by week three I was able to feel the ridges. When do you get activated?!

That's what I thought too, many others told me to check with them too but they're going to be of no help to me as I have no insurance. Oh well.

That's what I thought too, many others told me to check with them too but they're going to be of no help to me as I have no insurance. Oh well.

So they only help people who have insurance? What about helping you getting insurance?

Apparently they don't help those find insurance? I don't know. They ignored my first email that I sent, which was more than a month ago. Then I emailed again last week and got the "sorry can't help you" sort of response.

Guess I'll just focus on the CNI CI assistance program and try to find funds to pay the hospital/surgery fees. Will have to email CNI for more info of course.

Apparently they don't help those find insurance? I don't know. They ignored my first email that I sent, which was more than a month ago. Then I emailed again last week and got the "sorry can't help you" sort of response.

Guess I'll just focus on the CNI CI assistance program and try to find funds to pay the hospital/surgery fees. Will have to email CNI for more info of course.

I am shocked there is no other place to get assistances for CI. I guess with the follow up cost. Good luck with finding funding. I hope you get it!

Yes there are many people that have no insuance at all for their medical needs and even with the this program the CNI CI assistance program you still need $10,000 to $20,000 from somewhere. There is also the cost of batteries and other supplies that you may need to take in account as well. There maybe other groups in your area that could help you with funding but with the high cost of CI the funds are going to dry up quickly for a limited number of people. Keep trying if you want a CI "if there a will you will find a way"

Back