Cochlear implant facts

Alex

Administrator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Children or adults who are profoundly or completely deaf are candidates for cochlear implants.

Unlike a hearing aid, which amplifies sound, the implant is an artificial ear that functions as a substitute cochlea, a snail-shaped structure in the inner ear that translates sound energy into nerve impulses.

Most profound deafness is sensorineural -- there is damage to the sensitive and vulnerable hair cells in the cochlea so that vibrations there cannot be transmitted. Implants can restore hearing by bypassing the hair cells and stimulating the auditory nerve directly to send information to the brain, where it is interpreted as sound.

A surgeon implants the internal device under the skin behind the ear during a three-to four-hour operation with the child under general anesthesia.

Because implantation destroys any of a person's natural hearing, the devices usually are placed in only one ear in case there are complications. "You also don't want to burn the bridge if there is some other revolutionary development down the road,'' said Dr. David Chi, the director of the Hearing Center at Children's Hospital.

Four to six weeks after implantation, the system is programmed and turned on.

"It's a magical moment," said Chi. "Sometimes kids open up their mouths with surprise, sometimes they cry."

Hearing through an implant sounds tinny or electronic, different from normal hearing. It's another tool that helps improve sound quality and speech recognition. The length of rehabilitation varies from person to person, and many factors such as the condition of the hearing nerve or the presence of scar tissue in the cochlea can hinder the success of the implant.

The combined cost of surgery and the device is roughly $35,000. Costs for these, as well as hearing aids and other assistive devices, that are not covered by private insurance are covered by special state funds. Tuition to special schools -- DePaul or Western Pennsylvania School for the Deaf -- also is covered.

In July 2003, a study released by the New England Journal of Medicine suggested an increased risk of meningitis among those with cochlear implants, so children should be up-to-date on vaccinations. An earlier model, which was linked to a higher rate of meningitis, was removed from the market.

By Virginia Linn, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Could I please have the references to this article you pasted here. I am interested in researching this issue. If you have any further information, could you also post here or PM me pretty please. Thanks.

You all have to make a big desicion of those, because i had it before about third cochlear implant, but in fact a lot of people hate it and a lot of people loves a new small cochlear implant in the UK, but i am not getting one because i hate it..... but think about yourself first. if you love to hear a lot and having a cochlear implant, that's no problem at all for you. and if you don't like to hear a lot then don't get cochlear implant,

I.c.

Hi, I just like to know I know some have their opinion on the implants issues. I know some hate it and some love it. I just got my I.C. not long ago, and I like it since it almost like wearing a hearing aid which is no different. There is pro and cons but so far it been working great for me. I think it better for adults to make decisions if they want the implants or not it up to them. I have done lot of reseach on the implant and the new design is much more better than the one design 10 years ago. I hope doctors continue to help more deaf people with better teachology and find more better way to help make our lifes better. life is short, grab it while you can. Smile ~ IGR :type:

and I like it since it almost like wearing a hearing aid which is no different. There is pro and cons but so far it been working great for me. I think it better for adults to make decisions if they want the implants or not it up to them.
Yeah, in terms of functionality it IS almost like wearing an aid!
I also think that if benifit is ambigious that parents should wait a while and THEN have the kids help decide on whether or not they want the CI!

I also agree with you there. It can be benifit for most people and older kids who can be old enough to decide on the C.I . and explain how it works and what are the good chances to help some people. I have no regret. ItalianGemRose
deafdyke said:
Yeah, in terms of functionality it IS almost like wearing an aid!
I also think that if benifit is ambigious that parents should wait a while and THEN have the kids help decide on whether or not they want the CI!
:angel:

I have myself have cochlear implant and chat with one person who have cochlear implant that wish didn't get cochlear implant.

He like the cochlear implant but he did wish not to have it because he notice himself is not benefit for him. So he decided stop wear and even he got cochlear implant two years ago. So he is going to ask surgery to remove it because it bother him.

He said as for people who want cochlear implant. If person want one but if person is skills communicate with their own voice. Go ahead and get one but if have history of nerves program or distraction your eyes such as "shaking" vision. It isn't good option but he doesn't know why his doctor recommond him to get one.

So I am just share with this post from what I got share from his feel about cochlear implant. Might want share with you all. :)

The bad thing about CI's is you never know how it will work for you, or if it will work for you until you get it.

I've seen GLAD's AD-Hoc committee video on Cochlear Implants they made in the early 90's.

They were pretty much against it.

Richard

Back