Cochlear Freedom to N5, personal experiences?

soutthpaw

Reaction score
so I can get an upgrade for my broken freedom and my lost 3g, But I don't use my CI often anyway, so I am wondering what folks have actually experienced with the upgrade mentioned in the title? did you notice a big improvement in sound? how durable is the N5? the Freedom sucked IMHO as far as durability. I hate the idea of having to use a remote. anyone go without the remote and find it works ok?

Also anyone involved with the N6 testing etc and have any idea when its going to be available? I don't mind waiting a year or something if they plan on having the new model out soon

I had a buddy from my school who went thorough it and ended up getting the N5 junior year *yes, his Freedom somehow crapped out on him lol*

Southpaw,

I upgraded from the freedom to the N5 and I feel the sound quality is better with the N5 but not a huge difference. The N5 is way more durable than the Freedom. I have had the N5 for 3 years and I have not had any problems. I had three cracked controllers with the Freedom in three years so nice improvement. I like the remote but you can turn the processors off and change programs like you do with the Freedom it just takes longer.

I don't know if you use the t-coil but if you do you might want to wait until You can get the N6 because some people did not like he t-coil on the N5.

possibly fall for the N6, but no definite time frame just yet. All depends on FDA.

I see the n6 listed on the international Cochlear website so I think I am going to just wait till that is available. Else its a 5 plus year wait again. Yep both my freedom lowers r split and helt together with heat shrink electrical tubing

I got the N5 back in September and ever since there has been no change in my sound/hearing ability

I talked to one of the research Audiologists I know at Cochlear Americas. She said that all the FDA testing and approval has be done for the N6 including all backwards compatibility. They do not have a release date, but she thinks this fall some time is a good bet. She suggested I wait for it to be released and get the N6 not N5 due to lots of improvements and the much smaller remote.

Back