Close Down Gallaudet!!!!

The*Empress

Reaction score
I think Gallaudet should be close down....

1. It used to be called College for Deaf and Dumb.
2. ASL vs ORAL vs English
3. some brainwashed Deaf people don't want to associate with the real world.
4. Give Deaf people bad self esteem about themselves.
5. It is too expensive.

And it is ashame that Deaf people are fighting over a President
just because she isn't Deaf enough.

That is like saying Black people don't support a President who
isn't Black enough, because he is too light skinned and doesn't
speak ebonics.

Excuse me while I go flog myself for giving into the temptation of clicking on this thread.

It's like the kid who keeps reaching for the cupcake that he knows will electrocute him.

Damnit.

Lock this thread already. I don't want to see it go up in flames.

5. It is too expensive.

speak ebonics.

Eh... Closing Gally might not need to happen, but Empress has a point here. Sounds like change might be good for the University, and the protestors are acting very childish. Even if they have a point with their protest, nobody is going to take them seriously, because of how they are acting. The message won't be heard if it's given through disrespect.

Well the students say you have to be there to understand what is going on. One guy says there is rampant corruption going on. Exactly how do you prove such a charge? What are signs of corrpution?

The students need facts to back up their case.

They keep saying that this isn't about ID politics and that Jane is using id politics as a smokescreen.

I'm wondering how you can disprove the perception this is about ID politics. They point out that student protesters are from various backgrounds.

They do have a reason... so lv it be! if you dont or cant stand hear about protest. simply walk away or not bother to read info about it.

That's crazy... I will going apply at Gallaudet and NTID in next year.

Well the students say you have to be there to understand what is going on. One guy says there is rampant corruption going on. Exactly how do you prove such a charge? What are signs of corrpution?

The students need facts to back up their case.

They keep saying that this isn't about ID politics and that Jane is using id politics as a smokescreen.

I'm wondering how you can disprove the perception this is about ID politics. They point out that student protesters are from various backgrounds.

Not only that, but throwing juice and otherwise being disrespectful isn't exactly going to win you brownie pts with people.

I'm pretty liberal, and I think everyone has a right to be heard. However, if one expects to get their message across, they must do it in a respectful manner. It doesn't sound like that is happening. Therefore, the whole protest has turned into chaos, and I predict nobody will listen to them anymore. When one stops listening, nothing is accomplished. You've wasted time and energy and accomplished.................................

What?

That's really disrespect of you.

(1)- Why are you obsession about "deaf and dumb"? I don't care its "used to". Point is that current is Gallaudet University. You're too immature to say it, did you know that?

(2)- What the fuck? What's point? We are VS each other, of course. We are challenge/learning new things to learn their cultures, etc. Gally don't have nothing with this?

(3)- Some of deaf people have associate or other degree for the real world. Some of them are successful/working/etc. You can't judge to deaf people that they can't do it.

(4)- You can't say that because some of them have the problem or trouble situation. You just have to is back off if they are not your friends. Fuck off. How do you feel about your friends have bad self esteem about themselves, are you going to help with your friends about it?

(5)- Many of college are too expensive, too. Gally is not the only.

i agree with you about last one. You got point. But Gally show to everybody that Gally is "Deaf Power or Pride!" It's not ashame. Deaf vs Hearing president is more different cultures. Deaf like to have deaf president because we are all same cultures.

5. It is too expensive.

speak ebonics.

(1)- Why are you obsession about "deaf and dumb"? I don't care its "used to". Point is that current is Gallaudet University. You're too immature to say it, did you know that?

(2)- What the fuck? What's point? We are VS each other, of course. We are challenge/learning new things to learn their cultures, etc. Gally don't have nothing with this?

(3)- Some of deaf people have associate or other degree for the real world. Some of them are successful/working/etc. You can't judge to deaf people that they can't do it.

(4)- You can't say that because some of them have the problem or trouble situation. You just have to is back off if they are not your friends. Fuck off. How do you feel about your friends have bad self esteem about themselves, are you going to help with your friends about it?

i agree with you about last one. You got point. But Gally show to everybody that Gally is "Deaf Power or Pride!" It's not ashame. Deaf vs Hearing president is more different cultures. Deaf like to have deaf president because we are all same cultures.

Finally! Now THAT is what i want to see! EXACTLY! some of people dont get it.

They also don't seem to realize that potenial students and their parents are watching this protest closely and just saying you had to be there won't cut it.

Hence why you need to present a good case backed up by undisputable facts. Of course, you can't leave emotions out of it and I have plenty of emotions about it.

What kind of message are the potenial students getting from this protest? What are the implications?

If I were to go back to Gally as an CI and I want to minor in ASL, what do you think the reaction will be to me? I know many ASL deaf who will be accepting of me even if I were a CI. However the perception is that Gally is full of intolerant ASL extremists. That is why the students need to build a case against the charge this is about ID politics.

Not every oral deaf or those who want to learn sign knows the Deaf culture. This go for CIs as well. The only information they get is from the media. They'll be asking the same questions that I asked. Their parents will be asking those questions as well. This has long term implication for Gally's ability to get future students.

You need a clear message and the message from the FSSA is mixed hence the confusion of us outsiders. It does not help that they have no mission statment either on their web page.

Accussions like rampant corruption must be backed up by facts. A clear cut pattern of corruption must be shown. Otherwise Congress and lawyers are going to dismiss this as just another case of sour apples.

I am well aware of the importance Deaf schools in the Deaf Culture. What if higher ups that be decide that Gally be closed? That will upset many in the Deaf community.

The protesters don't seem to understand how this is going to affect all of us in the long term. This is a lose-lose situation.

It is painful to watch Gally self destruct. *bangs her head against the wall.*

That's great point. :rofl:

yeaaah, you right!
#1 i dont think of they are thinking about deaf and dumb.

#2 people do like itself decide VS oral or ASl or english.. that is okay!

#5 yup.. i wanna to go Rit that i know of Rit are too expensive, same as Gally. Fine with me!

Hmm, I am not going to take sides here. However perhaps the students AND their parents would be acting differently if THEY actually had to pay for their own college education and not the Government?

This protest is, of course, the key event in the evolutionary process we're seeing in the deaf community.

The protesters are all about the old deaf guards who don’t believe in the re-integration of deaf people back into the hearing society.

The deaf communities are facing major evolutionary changes in the near future which enable them to mainstream and re-integrate back into the hearing society. They are cochlear implants and recently, stem cells, which are promising to be part of the final solutions to addressing deafness. These medical marvels have enabled deaf people to function almost like hearing people. This has created a new deaf society in the past decade and this new deaf society has been slowly taking over Gallaudet University operations.

The protests you’re seeing is the old deaf guard's last stand against the changes in the future of deaf society, against the new deaf society taking over Gallaudet University.

Jane's leadership has the support of the new deaf society and is best one to lead the new deaf society which comprises 80 percent of the students at Gallaudet into the future.

The protesters are about the past deaf society, about the old deaf guards who have become the scourge of the deaf communities.

They have to give it up because they can’t beat the evolutionary process the deaf society is facing.

Back