Classifiers...

On another note, my deaf teacher also told me that a small, very, very small (he estimated 2%) percentage of hearing student study at Gallaudet University. He also told me, being a former student of Gally himself, that most teachers teach via ASL- no spoken words. Is that true?

Etoile: You know that there might be a chance for me to attend Gally. I am, as you know, disabled (bipolar)- disability can pay for my tuition. I will look into it tomorrow (or this week for sure) what the facts are regarding my chance to attend Gally.

Yes, there are hearing students at Gally, they are called HUGs (Hearing Undergraduates). I was originally accepted as a HUG before they determined I have a hearing loss. You must be fluent in ASL, there is a screening to determine what level you are (ASLPI) and they require fluency. Yes, most teachers use ASL without speaking, though some sim-com. There is also an ethical interview. There are only about 10 HUG students accepted every year, and you have to write essays for it, etc. It's actually a very competitive program, I think they have about 75 students apply every year and only 10-12 get in.

VR does not pay full tuition, they mostly pay for books. SSI helps with the expenses but it doesn't pay your full tuition. Some students get scholarships and grants. Keep in mind that these things are usually awarded to deaf students first - hearing students almost always have to pay their own way completely, even if they have another disability.

Not trying to be discouraging - those are just the facts. It's a tough program to get into if you're hearing.

You popped my bubble Etoile. :D

Ooh well. Forward with my second option, Flagler College. My third option is city college. Let's see what happens.

Mmm. This is an interesting thread. I've always seen the 3 CL as the "ship" classifier even though it can be applied to all vehicles and it's why I keep calling the zeppelins in WoW the ship... in English.

Back