Clarke School

Yes, Faces is still there! Thats my favorite store in Noho. (I went to Westfield State) I love Noho........Just wish Clarke was a Signing school!!!

American School probably does the same thing. These schools are not perfect education program.

ASD? Doubtful.

Never liked that place. They always had the best sports teams. Ugh. Well, RI was just as good.

Dunno about Clarke School but at the school I went to (Austine), everyone liked to pick on the Clarke kids. It seems to be pretty common to mock to them, even if it's not really nice.

my school R.I. School for the Deaf also mock on Clarke School for the Deaf. Ooops! We tease those students, dental love to see them to come in their office to fix their teeth. They grinned when they force them to learn how to speak. Their teeth crack and fell apart. :D

ha ha. What a funny joke! Actually, your parents sent you one of these schools. It was not your decision. But, you made it thru the school which is important.

I am afraid that Wayne is a huge meat eater or even worst the sloppy kisser. I am a vegetarian ...and love green energy. Anyway, you are a good performance!

Davis Center is place where you can order food! YUMMY! It belong to Smith College but they also welcome pretty much to everyone else. Food was pretty good and a lot better than food at Clarke lol! I usually eat then go back to dorm...and wont' eat dinner or whatever...It is behind Bell Hall down the hill across the street. I think about 1.5 blocks away. It has been so long since I was there.

Every Sunday, OMG! ALWAYS sandwiches for dinner...ugh!
Yes, FACE is still there. I like the store. I have been there once a while, but it is far for me to drive to the shopping area. It moved from a main street near UMass to Northampton main street near a bank. It across the street from the town hall. It is much better location.

Rolled my eyes about Ms. Buuck! Who care! It was a good thing that you enjoyed with your friends in the downtown. :P

I am not sure about the Davis Center. Is a building with a green canvas (a sort of mini mall tower)?

Clarke School

Clarke School for the Deaf in Northampton to sell president's house
Thursday, August 07, 2008
By FRED CONTRADA
fcontrada@repub.com

NORTHAMPTON - Clarke School for the Deaf is selling a century-old building on its campus that has traditionally been home to the school's president.

Parsons House, at 83 Round Hill Road, was built in 1908 and has housed several of Clarke's presidents and their families, according to school spokeswoman Sandy L. Soderberg. It is the fourth building on campus that the school has put up for sale in the last few years.

Leonard House, Yale House and Pratt Cottage were all converted into condominiums, several of which sold in the vicinity of $500,000. Homes on Round Hill are prized for their quiet and proximity to downtown Northampton.

According to Soderberg, current Clarke President William J. Corwin opted not to live in the house when he succeeded Dennis Gjerdingen, who retired in 2007. The house was built by Arthur Curtis James, of New York, and was home to members of the Parsons family until 1943, when it was bequeathed to the school. Former president George Pratt lived in the building from then until 1981, Soderberg said.

First lady Grace Coolidge, who once taught at Clarke School, helped Pratt redecorate the house, according to Soderberg.

Clarke School has created campuses in other parts of the country in recent years and has been streamlining the one in Northampton as it has become less focused on being a boarding school. Soderberg said the school looked at other possible uses for the Parsons House before deciding to sell it.

"It didn't fit our mission," she said.

The Northampton Assessor's Office estimates the value of the Parsons House property at $684,580. The lot extends all the way to Crescent Street. David A. Murphy of Murphy Realtors, who has sold several condominiums from other Clarke School buildings, said some have changed hands a second time and appreciated.

"You're buying something that's relatively affordable for the neighborhood," he said. "For half the going rate, you get a brand new, state-of-the-art dwelling. It's a very desirable neighborhood."

©2008 The Republican. All Rights Reserved.

Leonard House, gone; Yale House, gone; Pratt Cottage. gone; and now this - Parsons House, to be gone. Old Clarke, no more; new Clarke is the future.

The Clarke School for the Deaf campus, in Northampton, MA is shrinking a bit by bit, by selling off these old houses. But in return, the school is reinventing itself by establishing "campus branches" at selected locations in USA.

The proposed sale of the Parsons House hit the news this week.

Finally, I know why this happened. Someone told me that the committees noticed that the students in the past graduated Clarke has failed because most of them use the sign language, and their speech declined. The committees decided to get rid of older deaf students and started accepting deaf children with their CI at Clarke School. That is really interesting.

I would rather for the Clarke School to close down no matter what because it has no respect to any deaf students without CI who wish to attend there. Of course, I do respect American School for the Deaf and Clarke School for the Deaf, but things are changed. I am being to wonder that the ASD will be next in a few years.

Finally, I know why this happened. Someone told me that the committees noticed that the students in the past graduated Clarke has failed because most of them use the sign language, and their speech declined. The committees decided to get rid of older deaf students and started accepting deaf children with their CI at Clarke School. That is really interesting.

I would rather for the Clarke School to close down no matter what because it has no respect to any deaf students without CI who wish to attend there. Of course, I do respect American School for the Deaf and Clarke School for the Deaf, but things are changed. I am being to wonder that the ASD will be next in a few years.

Booooo to oral deaf ed!!!

Booooo to oral deaf ed!!!

What makes you hate it? Imperfect oral?

I don't care if it is oral or sign language. I prefer both methods which is better for me to communicate with.

If you have a terrible speech, then so what. You can try to practice with your voice by reading the baby books in private. It really helps you to improve your voice once a while. It has nothing to do with your speech, but it makes your vocal stronger so that you will do next project is to learn the speech correctly. Of course, it is not easy, but it is a big challenge for you. Maybe, in four months, your speech would be 75 percent better.

Back