CI's in Children

OK, I just joined this site about an hour ago. I read alot of these threads and initially decided not to comment abou tthem because I am the newest member here. But, I have never been one to keep my mouth shut.
I am a hearing parent of a deaf child. She just turned two last month. She was diagnosed with a profound hearing loss right before her first berthday. We got involved with the Central Institute for the Deaf immediately. She had hearing aids for a several months. Using the aids, she could only hear around 65 db. She could not hear enough to understand speech. She was implanted in sept of last year. SHe now hears at 20 db across the board. During her last 2 audi tests, she actually responded to noises that I could not hear. I have a very mild hearing loss from military service.
She said her first word less than a month after activation. We ar now just past 6 months after activation and she is saying new words every day. She goes to a preschool type class at C.I.D 5 days per weeks, 3 hours a day. She gets speech therapy daily. My wife and I are constantly working with her through focused play.
SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME HOW A PERSON WITH A C.I. IS NO LONGER DEAF!
Do all of you anti c.i. people think that c.i. wearers live with their processor on 24/7?
Deaf culture-
We were told not to teach our daughter sign language. I do not agree with that. We are not teaching her sign at the moment, but we will. The logic behind not teaching a child sign makes sense. If a child knows sign, they will not force them selves to listen to what they hear, and not put forth as much effort to learn to speak.
Think about it..... when learning to listen/speak, you will resist doing so, if you can accomplish the same thing by using sign. You know.... the path of least resistance and all.
Now, when she gets older, and is using her C.I. and speech accordingly, we will learn sign. I am a firm believer in this. It is a given that she will learn sign from having deaf friends. I will then learn sign so I can be involved in her life.
I have spoken to several deaf adults that say they were taught to speak and listen with h.a.s, or a c.i., they picked up signing through friends or taking classes. As the child becomes an adult (capable of signing with other people) thei parents get isolated from aspects of the childs life. The deaf child ends up resenting the fact that th parents never learned sign.
Now, if my daughter grows up, and decides that she wants to only be a member of the deaf community, all she has to do is take off her processor. Its that easy.
My job as a parent is to prepare my child for the world in which she lives. I fail as a parent if I do not do this. My decision to get her implanted gives her a better chance at success in the hearing world. If you dont like it.....too bad.

Lillys dad said:
........I am a hearing parent of a deaf child. She just turned two last month. ..........
SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME HOW A PERSON WITH A C.I. IS NO LONGER DEAF!
Hi, nice meeting you on the messageboard.
YOu are where I was a year ago... it's a great trip.

But regarding your question: I sot-of put that statement in there... for several reasons..
I said:"My child is born deaf, but now she can hear."

Looking at her now, 18 months after activation, whispering, singing, talking and chatting away, I realise that she is using speech and sounds. That's where my statement came from. We are using signs less than before, so is she..

But do comment on what you read here. It's good information for me and other people on the board - deaf and hearing.

C U

>>>We were told not to teach our daughter sign language. I do not agree with that. We are not teaching her sign at the moment, but we will.<<

who told you that- hearing pple? I wouldn't be suprised. They have no clue, no matter how much experience they have with HI pple what is it not to be able hear normally.

I think the best is to give the CI child or any child with hearing problems BOTH worlds.

Fuzzy

Lillys dad said:
The logic behind not teaching a child sign makes sense. If a child knows sign, they will not force them selves to listen to what they hear, and not put forth as much effort to learn to speak.
How do you know this? How did you arrive at this conclusion? Were there medical studies actually conducted? Passing obvious generalities as 'facts' will not help butress your position that newly implanted CI infants should not learn sign language initially at the outset of the CI regimen.
Now, when she gets older, and is using her C.I. and speech accordingly, we will learn sign. I am a firm believer in this. It is a given that she will learn sign from having deaf friends. I will then learn sign so I can be involved in her life.
I'm glad you will allow her the decision whether to learn sign language or not, and that you will support her and be a part of her life, well into adulthood.

i honestly disagree with that concept because its too much for infant to take a major surgery and everything lke that.. if they grow up and want to do that. they can do that.. if the parents felt so strongly that their kids shld have a CI... obviously they dont accept them?? since its just my opinion.. sorry if i have offensive or anything...
I used to work at Mayo clinic before i had my son.. there is a dr who i m really good friend with. He came to me one day and offer a free CI for me. i told him i appericate his thoughts but really i dont want it. He asked me why i dont want this.. i told him because im proud of who i am.. i never really have a problemw ith being a deaf.. i grew up being deaf.. that is who i am. God give me something and i accept em. God must have a reason why im being a deaf.. Dr realized and told me hes impressed with me and he didnt realize this until i expressed him my true feelings.

i forgot to add this...

to tell you the truth.. it kinda make me mad everytime when a parent say oh no my child is deaf...... they were so heart broken... i might will never understand why because i was born and raise being a deaf.. its NOT A BIG DEAL! trust me!!! a deaf person is ability to DO ANYTHING!!!!! there are so so so many things for EVERYBODY!!! Why dont you start out with a HEARING AID???? if they like what they have.. then move to next step?? ugh..

My job as a parent is to prepare my child for the world in which she lives. I fail as a parent if I do not do this. My decision to get her implanted gives her a better chance at success in the hearing world. If you dont like it.....too bad.[/QUOTE]

TOO BAD? WHOOAAAA!!!! im deaf and i dont have a CI but im very success in my life. im a successful mortgage broker!!! Gee.. what make u think a deaf person wouldnt be a success in hearing world if they dont have a CI? ?!?!?!

Cjanik said:
i think the parents have the right...

here's what i posted in another thread....
------------------------

I have a implant and its the best thing that ever happened to me.

I got it when i was 7....i WISH i could have got it when i was 1 year old...if i did, i would be talking on the phone and hearing music word for word on the radio.

some people will hate the implant with everything they have for the rest of their life, there's no changing that.

While i occasionally hang out w/ a group of deaf friends who are not raised oral, if we go out to eat in mcdonalds or a restraunt, they always make me order for each and every one of them, do all of the talking, and whatnot. Here they are begging me to do all of the talking for them, and they are against oral programs? if thats their way, why are they even asking me for help!? go fiqure - ignorant

I have a few theories on why people hate the CI so much:

1) they can not get the implant for themselves because of special reasons, so they are against it because they cant have it. Jealous type reasons

2) They heard too many Rumors from people who are against it. Personally, I have heard a lot of rumors ranging from the CI broke inside their head and got brain damage, to someone got electricuted and died while taking a shower from the CI. No, im sorry people, thats a rumor.

3) They are not educated on how a Cochlear implant works and think its all bullshit or doesnt work like it says. I have met a lot of people who are "WHY DID U EVEN GET THAT? ITS CRAPPY DEVICE", Well after talking to them for about 20 minutes, they now are impressed and half of the things they said were rumors and the other half was from being uneducated, they didnt know how it worked.

4) they think its the kids choice, not the parents. How many of you had hearing aides growing up?(age: born to 7-8 y\o) Was it your choice or your parents? See? Your parents chose that its best you get hearing aides. Its no different for the cochlear implant. Also thats why they are "parents", its their job to make choices for the kids because the kids are too young and immature to make decisions themselves. Thats why there's age 18 law when parents are no longer responsible. If the kid waits till he is 18, then the kid will hate the cochlear implant because your brain will not adapt to a cochlear implant as well as a 12 month old. hell, even my age 7 was not good enough.

anyway, thats my opinion and observations from having a CI. number 3 and 2 are the biggest faults in the deaf world.

to each his\her own
------------------------

http://www.alldeaf.com/showthread.php?t=16314

HUH!! r u saying we are jealous cuz we cant have it?! thats FULL OF BS!God u have turned me off big time! WOW! we chose not to have it because we are DAMN PROUD OF WHO WE ARE! UNLIKELY YOU!!

LisaMarie said:
HUH!! r u saying we are jealous cuz we cant have it?! thats FULL OF BS!God u have turned me off big time! WOW! we chose not to have it because we are DAMN PROUD OF WHO WE ARE! UNLIKELY YOU!!

If you would bother to read the ENTIRE thread - they said there were several different theories - not any *one* theory is directed at everybody (or even you) - why can't people voice opinions here without it being construed as a personal attack? OY!

anyway, thats my opinion and observations from having a CI. number 3 and 2 are the biggest faults in the deaf world.

Did you miss this???

LisaMarie said:
i forgot to add this...

to tell you the truth.. it kinda make me mad everytime when a parent say oh no my child is deaf...... they were so heart broken... i might will never understand why because i was born and raise being a deaf.. its NOT A BIG DEAL! trust me!!! a deaf person is ability to DO ANYTHING!!!!! there are so so so many things for EVERYBODY!!! Why dont you start out with a HEARING AID???? if they like what they have.. then move to next step?? ugh..

Why do you expect people who have probably had no experiences of deafness at all in their lives to suddenly have all the right PC responses as soon as they have a deaf baby?

It's called grief and it's understandable and it's normal. Grief is also a necessary step to acceptance. My mother described it to me and she said she was scared and didn't know what to expect. Most hearing people don't have experience with deafness and what deaf people can do. Should you be angry at them for that? All these stereotypes ran through her head and she didn't know if they were true or not.

Education changes all of that but it's a long process and you have to be patient with people who are going through that process. Now my mum feels that deafness is a part of her family's identity (she also has a deaf grandchild) and she feels very positive about it.

Now people that never move on and accept their children I don't have any patience for. My mother (who eventually became involved in deaf education) told me about a client parent of hers who told her that she wished she had aborted her deaf child. Ugh! And that child was someone that was doing pretty well educationally too.

LisaMarie said:
TOO BAD? WHOOAAAA!!!! im deaf and i dont have a CI but im very success in my life. im a successful mortgage broker!!! Gee.. what make u think a deaf person wouldnt be a success in hearing world if they dont have a CI? ?!?!?!

I'm really happy for you that you have made it. However I don't think you can deny that it is harder for deaf people to succeed professionally and educationally. The statistics show this.

I am a qualified accountant (and I have to say it, a pretty good one too!) but not being able to use the phone always went against me and I had to
take lower paid roles than I was capable for. Hopefully by setting up a business with my hearie husband I can get around that. I'm also hoping that having a CI might provide the possibility of being able to use the phone.

neecy said:
If you would bother to read the ENTIRE thread - they said there were several different theories - not any *one* theory is directed at everybody (or even you) - why can't people voice opinions here without it being construed as a personal attack? OY!

Did you miss this???
I DIDNT SAY U CANT VOICE THE OPINION OR ANYBODY CANT DO THAT. WHY CANT I JUST VOICE MY OWN OPINION TOO.. THE REASON I ATTACK AT CERTAIN PEOPLE BECAUSE THEY SAID "TOO BAD" WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?? AND " YOU ARE JUST JEALOUS BECAUSE U CANT HAVE THEM FOR SOME REASON" SO WHY CANT I SPEAK UP? O Y !

R2D2 said:
I'm really happy for you that you have made it. However I don't think you can deny that it is harder for deaf people to succeed professionally and educationally. The statistics show this.

I am a qualified accountant (and I have to say it, a pretty good one too!) but not being able to use the phone always went against me and I had to
take lower paid roles than I was capable for. Hopefully by setting up a business with my hearie husband I can get around that. I'm also hoping that having a CI might provide the possibility of being able to use the phone.
YOU SHOULDNT ALLOW THEM PAY YOU LOWER JUST BECAUSE U CANT ANSWER THE PHONE! MY HUSBAND WORKS AS A M.L.T AT THE MAYO CLINIC AND HE GET A REALLY HIGH PAY! REGARDLESS IF HE CANT ANSWER OR COMMUINCATE WITH DR DIRECTLY BY VOICE. HE ALWAYS FIND ANOTHER WAY TO DO THAT! OBVIOUSLY U CAN DO THAT... AND IF THEY PAY YOU LOWER BECAUS EOF THAT THAT IS A DISCRIMMATION! BIG TIME

R2D2 said:
Why do you expect people who have probably had no experiences of deafness at all in their lives to suddenly have all the right PC responses as soon as they have a deaf baby?

It's called grief and it's understandable and it's normal. Grief is also a necessary step to acceptance. My mother described it to me and she said she was scared and didn't know what to expect. Most hearing people don't have experience with deafness and what deaf people can do. Should you be angry at them for that? All these stereotypes ran through her head and she didn't know if they were true or not.

Education changes all of that but it's a long process and you have to be patient with people who are going through that process. Now my mum feels that deafness is a part of her family's identity (she also has a deaf grandchild) and she feels very positive about it.

Now people that never move on and accept their children I don't have any patience for. My mother (who eventually became involved in deaf education) told me about a client parent of hers who told her that she wished she had aborted her deaf child. Ugh! And that child was someone that was doing pretty well educationally too.

DONT GET ME WRONG... IM NOT ANGRY AT THEM JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE NEW AT THIS.. I JUST DONT UNDERSTAND WHY THEY TREAT IT LIKE IT IS A LIFE THREATHEN... THEY WENT OUT AND LOOKING FOR SOMETHING TO MAKE THEIR CHILD TO BE "PERFECT" SO THEY CAN HEAR.... AS SOMEBODY SAID " I FELT THAT ITS MY DUTY TO MAKE MY KID TO BE HAPPY AND SUCCESSFUL SO I THOUGHT ITS BEST IF I PUT CI IN HER CANAL TO BE SUCCESSFUL" THAT IS INSULTING TO ME BECAUSE THEY ARE SAYING " WE CANT SUCCESSFUL IN THE HEARING WORLD BECAUSE WE ARE DEAF" THINK ABOUT IT... HOW WOULD YOU FEEL IF I SAY TO YOU.. OH NO MY CHILD IS HEARING.. I HAVE TO MAKE THEM UNHEAR! SO THEY COULD SUCCESSFUL IN THE DEAF WORLD!!!

LisaMarie said:
YOU SHOULDNT ALLOW THEM PAY YOU LOWER JUST BECAUSE U CANT ANSWER THE PHONE! MY HUSBAND WORKS AS A M.L.T AT THE MAYO CLINIC AND HE GET A REALLY HIGH PAY! REGARDLESS IF HE CANT ANSWER OR COMMUINCATE WITH DR DIRECTLY BY VOICE. HE ALWAYS FIND ANOTHER WAY TO DO THAT! OBVIOUSLY U CAN DO THAT... AND IF THEY PAY YOU LOWER BECAUS EOF THAT THAT IS A DISCRIMMATION! BIG TIME

They are not paying me lower wages because I am deaf, it doesn't work like that. I am simply not getting the interviews for the jobs I am qualified to do for because I cannot use the phone. I've had interviews with people who were quite prepared to take me on because they liked me but not being able to use the phone was a real problem. Many jobs cannot be done without telephone skills and accountancy is very communication based. E-mail can be used if the job is 100% internal and that is why I've gone for jobs in big banks, however the more senior the position the greater the requirement to communicate outside of the organisation. It is just so much easier just to go out and get a CI than bring expensive lawsuits on big companies that I may not win. I don't simply have the personal resources anyway to fight big battles.

We can talk all day about what the hearing world should be doing but the reality is that deaf people find it harder to get work either because they are discriminated against or the job really does require the use of a phone.

I'm glad about you and your husband but is your reality the same reality for most other deaf people?

But actually - works at the Mayo clinic but I'm also presuming that he and LisaMarie both work in the deaf related environment.

Secondly, I do have to agree with R2D2 on her feelings/thoughts on being discriminated. It happens everywhere and it is reality. Honestly *this is probbie gonna start a fire here* if we deaf individuals weren't being discriminated so much - why are so many still on SSDI and not working?

*Because most have difficulty finding jobs that will ACCEPT them* Opening up to CI opens up the door to opportunities, it doesn't GUARANTEE them but it opens a possibility and an opporunity and that is all anyone can ask for. I do not see parents who have their children implanted ashamed of their children because of their deafness. I applaud Lilly's dad for accepting his daughter that she is deaf regardless of the CI or not. But I look at it as an opporunity for a parent to TRY to provide for the child. I see no harm or foul in this. No parent is perfect we all are trying to do what we feel is best for our child whether it is RIGHT or WRONG.

noo. there is not a deaf enivorment at our jobs! trust me.. we commuincate with hearing people by writing back and forth.. there are some people in my husbands lab who learned how to sign.. they commuincate just fine... we just simply refuse let anyone stop us just because we are deaf.

Lisa, When I say "too bad". The only meaning behind that statement is, I do not really care if you approve of my/our decision to implant my daughter. How the hell can you interpit that as me thinking less of you or anyone else?

Did I say ANYWHERE that my daughter is not perfect?

Yes, I did say that I /we chose to implant our daughter because we feel we are giving her the best possible chances at succeeding in life. How the hell are you twisting this to be about me thinking you are a failure? I think you are a little defensive.

As far as the not teaching sign until she is older, I think that is a no brainer. Do your research. It is real easy to sit here and say that I'm wrong.
You know what..... screw this conversation. If ya wanna know.... lookit up.
Apparently by your comments, there is nothing I can say, do or type that will make you understand. So I'm just gonna save my breath for those that actually care about what I have to say.

DefLord said:
But actually - works at the Mayo clinic but I'm also presuming that he and LisaMarie both work in the deaf related environment.

Secondly, I do have to agree with R2D2 on her feelings/thoughts on being discriminated. It happens everywhere and it is reality. Honestly *this is probbie gonna start a fire here* if we deaf individuals weren't being discriminated so much - why are so many still on SSDI and not working?

*Because most have difficulty finding jobs that will ACCEPT them* Opening up to CI opens up the door to opportunities, it doesn't GUARANTEE them but it opens a possibility and an opporunity and that is all anyone can ask for. I do not see parents who have their children implanted ashamed of their children because of their deafness. I applaud Lilly's dad for accepting his daughter that she is deaf regardless of the CI or not. But I look at it as an opporunity for a parent to TRY to provide for the child. I see no harm or foul in this. No parent is perfect we all are trying to do what we feel is best for our child whether it is RIGHT or WRONG.

u are probably right it will start the fire.. but... some of us chose to take that advantage.. thats sad... it make me so mad when i hear some of my friends who are on ssdi. i thought they are capable to do this ... some of them say oh why not let them pay us just because we are qualifed.. that kinda make me mad but... anyway... really.. im just voicing my opinion... i just thought some of you are "afraid" or think we CANT catch up with hearing people... THATS MY OPINION based on what i have see and hear.. some of them say i cant because they think i cant do this or i have to sit and be quiet cuz i dont want to aruge this or whateverso.. thats TOO BAD.. u have to FIGHT! we are NORMAL just simply we cant hear. thats ALL! if someobdy say oh i cant work at this job because im deaf such as i cant answer the phone.. DUH why cant you let somebody else did?? look at my friend who successful became a policeman! hes deaf!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hello!!!!!! hes completely deaf.. some of them wonder how can he do that.. as he said.. welllll there is a partner who will answer the CB for him! simply! u just have to work around the situation somehow! dont be lazy! :)

Back