CI scar

Hanna_13

Reaction score
I can still can see my scar after 9yrs. Has any body out there has the scar for long time more than 2.5 yrs

Scars fade over time, but surgical scars generally don't disappear entirely. I've got one (a surgical scar, that is, not a CI scar) that dates back 18 years; it's the same color as the skin around it, but you can still see and feel it pretty easily.

I have a pretty big surgical scar on my left hip that dates back over 25 years ago. It is still very visible, but it's not red anymore. It's the same color as the skin around it. It still ITCHES, though! So annoying!

I have a lot of scars on my body that has lasted for many years.

I cut my knee 24 years ago, my chin 23 years ago, my fingertip 22 years ago, my ankle 21 years ago, my head 20 years ago, my leg 19 years ago, my stomach 17 years ago, my head twice 16 years ago, my arm 15 years ago, my hand twice 12 years ago, my hand 11 years ago, my wrist 11 years ago, my arm 8 years ago, my arm 5 years ago... and I still have scars for all of them. :)

Oh, are you talking about ONLY CI scars?

I don't have any.

But to my experience, it depends on when they got their surgery and who their doctor was.

The older surgeries had bigger and more noticeable scars, while newer surgeries have smaller and less noticeable scars.

I can still feel my scar and it's noticeable if I get my hair cut too short. My implant was done in 1990, so it's been awhile! From pictures I've seen, the newer implants have SIGNIFICANTLY smaller, less noticeable scars.

I can still can see my scar after 9yrs. Has any body out there has the scar for long time more than 2.5 yrs

My 1st CI scar from 2001 is still there and still itch from time to time. but my 2nd CI scar (other ear) from 2004 is smaller.. If you want to make scar go away some more or make it smaller, possible plastic surgery is one way to correct it. I am not too worried about it unless I lose hair when I get older..

not CI related at all but ...

I have a vertical scar on my eyelid from when I was around a year old (so 29years ago) - it's VERY visible, but in all honesty it doesn't bother me at all, in fact I like it - it's just a part of my story, of who I am - I think I'd miss it if I woke up and it wasn't there !

I've never done anything to try to correct the scars I have ... but I know many people have sworn that mederma is very effective.

What I found helps (mind you, I'm only 5 months post op left, and 1 week post op right), use Mederma. It helps with new AND old scars. The only small downside is that it's a bit expensive. $14 a tube, but it will last you pretty long time. I put it on my CI scars every night. My left one has become pretty much invisible.

I wonder if you feel that it's raised and bothering you, you could go see a plastic surgeon, and they can "shave" the extra skin off for you.

What I found helps (mind you, I'm only 5 months post op left, and 1 week post op right), use Mederma. It helps with new AND old scars. The only small downside is that it's a bit expensive. $14 a tube, but it will last you pretty long time. I put it on my CI scars every night. My left one has become pretty much invisible.

I wonder if you feel that it's raised and bothering you, you could go see a plastic surgeon, and they can "shave" the extra skin off for you.

Cool! I will give it a try - any problem applying this with hair? Sticky?

it's kind of sticky, which is why I do it at nights. It will absorb by morning. just clear your hair out of the way for a little..it's usually "naked" there anyways. You just have to apply a very small amount. :)

I hace very fair skin I'm supposed to be redheaded but guess in gene hair color got minor glitch and got auburn instead :lol: (its mix of red and light brown) anyways my CI scar is red but not raised and it ache sometimes if I'm in wet weather or wear ci processor for too long like got up early and went to bar and stayed up till morning etc. You're fine.
I think its depends on skin tone like fair skin have red or pink scar and black or latino people have black/brown scar soo... :dunno:

Speaking of scars,

Both my CI scar and my old hip surgery scar ITCH like a mofo sometimes! Is there anything that I can do or use to remedy this? It drives me nuts sometimes. I would think that after 25+ years my hip scar would have stopped itching already, but it hasn't. But I would expect itching with a relatively new scar such as my CI scar, though...it's only been a year and a half since I've been implanted, so no surprise there. I just thought that after a few years, the itching would have stopped already. :dunno:

Speaking of scars,

Both my CI scar and my old hip surgery scar ITCH like a mofo sometimes! Is there anything that I can do or use to remedy this? It drives me nuts sometimes. I would think that after 25+ years my hip scar would have stopped itching already, but it hasn't. But I would expect itching with a relatively new scar such as my CI scar, though...it's only been a year and a half since I've been implanted, so no surprise there. I just thought that after a few years, the itching would have stopped already. :dunno:

I think it depends on why it is itching...
There's a 'healing itch' but damaged nerves can cause itchiness too.
I have read that cortisone shots can help, and apparently iodine can.. but I've never tried these and am not a professional...

I know your frustrations though as most of my surgery scars itch like that from time to time (foot, legs and lower back) the scars on the top of my foot are still sensitive also, since going on nearly 30 years...

wow that is strange about itch scar?

they are believed hard cream help heal on your implant. sometimes I had before worst my hair.. I don't know what is hair belong my hair not sure I don't know you better go to see doctor first test on cochlear implant on besides hear.

I have a pretty big surgical scar on my left hip that dates back over 25 years ago. It is still very visible, but it's not red anymore. It's the same color as the skin around it. It still ITCHES, though! So annoying!

Ditto! I've got bilateral surgical scars over my hips that are pretty big, too. Like yours, mine aren't red, but are the same skin color.

As for itching, you're not the only one who has itchy scars. I've got surgical scars elsewhere on my body that itch like hell! Don't have a clue why, because scar tissue is *supposed* to not have any nerve endings. Yeah, coulda fooled me!

i have scars all over, but surgical scars 3 areas, my feet, my ear and my forehead. they are all still visable, not so much my forehead it pretty hard to see but if you look very close u can see it. my foot scar is from 16 yrs ago, my forehead is 9 yrs ago, and ear is 2 yrs ago. but i love my foot scar it brings back memories lol

I still have a line of scar, but it's not pink. Some people develop this where behind the ear they have an indentation. Does anyone have this? How come some have this and some don't? Anyone know?

I still have a line of scar, but it's not pink. Some people develop this where behind the ear they have an indentation. Does anyone have this? How come some have this and some don't? Anyone know?

The indentation is where they shave a little "canal" so your implant electrode travels from the Implant to the cochlear.

I have a very small indentation, so I think that's what you're talking about. Some don't because it's flushed to the skull, others are more noticeable due to more shaving.

When I press on that little thing, i could feel a little bit of pressure in my ear. Kinda of weird feeling.

Back