CI on 6 year old.

I think Jillio hit it on the head with the internalization process of language bit. That is a very valid point. I developed a passion for reading from five or so on. I used it, if you will, as a surrogate for spoken language to get the tone and tenor of expressive speech while learning spoken language. Basically, I did it in reverse to build up my spoken language abilities. To be clearer on the benefits/consequences of going this route, I was reading college level in 8th or 9th grade and it took me until I was in my early twenties for my speech to catch up especially with the colloquialisms and cultural knowledge of spoken language.

Yes - we were quite similiar then. My mother took me to the library from an early age and I consumed books like there was no tomorrow and still do. I too read above grade level, even though it took me a while to catch up in terms of expressive oral language, particularly colloquial, double meanings etc.

Also when I was at school, I had a daring moment and signed up for a class learning German. After asking me if I felt I could cope, the teachers let me have a go (they were obviously surprised). The first lesson was difficult, as it was all verbal. But from the second lesson onwards, I took to it really well because we started on the written German, which supported the oral German. I ended up studying it for 5 years.

So yes, I would agree with Jillio that literacy supports language and I would agree that if it's a kind of oralism where literacy is not focussed upon then it becomes a problem. The same if signing is taught without enough emphasis on literacy too.

Yes - we were quite similiar then. My mother took me to the library from an early age and I consumed books like there was no tomorrow and still do. I too read above grade level, even though it took me a while to catch up in terms of expressive oral language, particularly colloquial, double meanings etc.

Also when I was at school, I had a daring moment and signed up for a class learning German. After asking me if I felt I could cope, the teachers let me have a go (they were obviously surprised). The first lesson was difficult, as it was all verbal. But from the second lesson onwards, I took to it really well because we started on the written German, which supported the oral German. I ended up studying it for 5 years.

So yes, I would agree with Jillio that literacy supports language and I would agree that if it's a kind of oralism where literacy is not focussed upon then it becomes a problem. The same if signing is taught without enough emphasis on literacy too.

Funny you mentioned German. I also took German in High School and College. What was really interesting to me was that English is a Germanic language in its roots. As a result, I actually sort of had an epiphany in regards to understanding English even better (the grammar and all that jazz).

Getting back to your statement...

R2D2 said:
I'm not arguing either way for or against oralism (I don't think it's right for everyone and I certainly see the advantage of early signing to help with language concepts) however I wonder if the nature of the beast is deafness itself?

Yea, I think that has a lot to it. What one can't hear, one can't participate as deeply as others who can. There is a definite barrier that one bumps against. Only those like you and I can really appreciate the blessings of being able to achieve dual citizenship if you will.

Funny you mentioned German. I also took German in High School and College. What was really interesting to me was that English is a Germanic language in its roots. As a result, I actually sort of had an epiphany in regards to understanding English even better (the grammar and all that jazz).

Yes, I found that German was even more consistent than English as far as pronounciation was concerned. In English, we say words differently even though they are spelled similarly - there is less of that in German. It was much easier to pronounce an unfamiliar word just by looking at how it's written. Plus the melody of the spoken German language was easier to hook into.

French on the other hand drove me crazy because it has a lot of silent letters that are not said verbally e.g. the "t" at the end of words. Plus the patter sounded like rapid machine gun fire to me. I dropped it after I took up German, although written French was okay.

Interesting discussion!

I took 2 years of German and I aced that class. I'm from a small town and we had to use a satellite and tv for our teacher in another state lol. We worked over the speaker phone with other students around the States. I had a blast with that class b/c it was just 8 of us lol. I had pretty good speech in HS, but I spoke better in German lol.
Listening to the thunderstorm right now, it sounds very nice. I never realized that it would be so rich, it sounded like the thunders were rolling lol. I loved it.

I think Jillio hit it on the head with the internalization process of language bit. That is a very valid point. I developed a passion for reading from five or so on. I used it, if you will, as a surrogate for spoken language to get the tone and tenor of expressive speech while learning spoken language. Basically, I did it in reverse to build up my spoken language abilities. To be clearer on the benefits/consequences of going this route, I was reading college level in 8th or 9th grade and it took me until I was in my early twenties for my speech to catch up especially with the colloquialisms and cultural knowledge of spoken language.

Nods, I've always loved to read myself. My first grade report indicates that I always had my face in a book. I was a bit language delayed by a year or so but I caught up with my hearing peers by the time the time I was mainstreamed. I recall trying to read Alfred Hicthock's "Three Investagors and The Mystery Of The Screaming Clock"in the second grade and giving up on it in the second grade. I was amazed at how much easier it was to read when I retread it in the fourth grade.

I remember having an agurement with my father over Richard Adam's "Watership Down." for two reasons: I'm a very fast reader; he thought I should slow down as it was hard for him to realize that some people really can read that fast and second, he thought the book would be too hard for me. He wanted me to try something easier. Pffft! I was in the fifth grade at the time.

Thanks! You get it!

:gpost: :gpost: :gpost: :gpost: :gpost:

Listening to the thunderstorm right now, it sounds very nice. I never realized that it would be so rich, it sounded like the thunders were rolling lol. I loved it.

Yea, that surprised me too when I first heard thunder with my CI. Amazing what I was missing with my HA.

I remember about 3 months after activation, my Dad ran to get me to come outside because there was a thunderstorm moving our way. The sound was amazing!

Yea, that surprised me too when I first heard thunder with my CI. Amazing what I was missing with my HA.

I remember about 3 months after activation, my Dad ran to get me to come outside because there was a thunderstorm moving our way. The sound was amazing!

Ahh that's great!

I heard them few days after activation! Rolling boom of thunders Awesome, it even made me love Monsoon summer more! It's my favorite season in Tucson where it has 5 season instead of 4 (Spring, Dry summer, Monsoon summer, Fall, Winter) and It is currently Dry summer now and next month is gonna be monsoon summer and I can't wait to enjoy the show!

Man, SRS! If I didn't know better, I wouldda sworn you were talking about me! Lol...

Ahh that's great!

I heard them few days after activation! Rolling boom of thunders Awesome, it even made me love Monsoon summer more! It's my favorite season in Tucson where it has 5 season instead of 4 (Spring, Dry summer, Monsoon summer, Fall, Winter) and It is currently Dry summer now and next month is gonna be monsoon summer and I can't wait to enjoy the show!

Awesome! I've always loved to sit out on the porch and listen to the thunder. It's even better with this implant. Ha, ha, I did develop a healthy respect for lightening when it stuck the tree in front of the back porch.

Ahh that's great!

Wow, you're the first I have heard to call it two different summers! Interesting! Enjoy your upcoming monsoon summer! :)

Yeah, I have a friend here who taught in Tuscon for 8 years; she has told me many times about the monsoon season there....fascinating....happens almost daily (I think) at around the same time....at 2-3pm as I recall....

Yeah, I have a friend here who taught in Tuscon for 8 years; she has told me many times about the monsoon season there....fascinating....happens almost daily (I think) at around the same time....at 2-3pm as I recall....

Wow...It is just that I always thought Tucson just had very hot and dry climates. Right now, over here on my end, it's always humid and we are currently in a severe drought. We do get very intense lightning from the thunderstorms we get here. I have heard the thunder and it's beautiful! :)

I stumbled on this thread and read just about every post in it and oh my God. I am reminded of exactly why I took a break from all of this.

To this topic I would say to the owner of this thread that you have painted a bleak picture of this child and if it is true then I do feel sorry for him/her. I would also mention that there are many missing facts from your story that are leading people to their own conclusions that may not be true. I also see people drawing conclusions that are really nothing more than their opinions which are laced with bias. The owner of the thread that is reporting this alleged child abuse is just as guilty of such abuse if they don't turn in the offender. If you know there is abuse and you do nothing about it then you are just as guilty.

It really doesn't suprise me that any topic that involves a CI and a child doesn't end up in the same ole same ole. It really gets tiresome after a while. The reality is there will always be those for and opposed to CI's. The turn off is when the bickering starts instead of agreeing to dis-agree.

I stumbled on this thread and read just about every post in it and oh my God. I am reminded of exactly why I took a break from all of this.

To this topic I would say to the owner of this thread that you have painted a bleak picture of this child and if it is true then I do feel sorry for him/her. I would also mention that there are many missing facts from your story that are leading people to their own conclusions that may not be true. I also see people drawing conclusions that are really nothing more than their opinions which are laced with bias. The owner of the thread that is reporting this alleged child abuse is just as guilty of such abuse if they don't turn in the offender. If you know there is abuse and you do nothing about it then you are just as guilty.

It really doesn't suprise me that any topic that involves a CI and a child doesn't end up in the same ole same ole. It really gets tiresome after a while. The reality is there will always be those for and opposed to CI's. The turn off is when the bickering starts instead of agreeing to dis-agree.

Hey rockdrummer! Glad to see you back. I always enjoyed the fact that even when you disagree, you are very open to learning new perspectives, and ask questions in order to learn and not just to prove another wrong. Stick around for a while, huh?

Back