CI on 6 year old.

Ohhh many..I wish I can tel u what happened at the CI meeting we had at my work. very interesting stuff and a lot of proved that with ASL support these kids can really take off. I agree with R2D2, having both can really make a huge difference as opposing having only one of each only. what was shown at the meeting really validated R2D2's points and the research she posted.

:gpost: :gpost: :gpost: :gpost: :gpost:

I can just imagine what Rick48 and Cloggy will say about this. I will start making some :popcorn: in case I get hungary. :giggle:

Are you restricted by privacy concerns from sharing the findings of the meeting?

I have to check with them to get permission..I havent yet so I cant say much. I am sure I can share the info but I would rather to double check. :)

I can just imagine what Rick48 and Cloggy will say about this. I will start making some :popcorn: in case I get hungary. :giggle:

Thanks but to be honest..they are entitled to their views and opinions. Just will try not to let it get personal or get mean like before again. Not worth it.

Well just to clarify a point. Cloggy has never said sign language use is not a good idea. He did say that his daughter has decided to no longer depend on sign language and has gone verbal of her own choice.

It's been known for years that children (speech delays) who use both options will tend to pick the one that is of more use to them as time goes by, in the case of speech delayed when they become more understandable they drop the signs. In Cloggy's case his daughter has decided speaking does what she wants, the sign is an occasional backup that she uses if the word she wants isn't getting her point across.

I can't recall if Rick used sign when his daughter was pre school age or not.

Well just to clarify a point. Cloggy has never said sign language use is not a good idea. He did say that his daughter has decided to no longer depend on sign language and has gone verbal of her own choice.

It's been known for years that children (speech delays) who use both options will tend to pick the one that is of more use to them as time goes by, in the case of speech delayed when they become more understandable they drop the signs. In Cloggy's case his daughter has decided speaking does what she wants, the sign is an occasional backup that she uses if the word she wants isn't getting her point across.

Right..and I am sure the combination of the CI and signing helped a lot. :)

Thanks but to be honest..they are entitled to their views and opinions. Just will try not to let it get personal or get mean like before again. Not worth it.

Quoted for truth.

Originally Posted by shel90
Ohhh many..I wish I can tel u what happened at the CI meeting we had at my work. very interesting stuff and a lot of proved that with ASL support these kids can really take off. I agree with R2D2, having both can really make a huge difference as opposing having only one of each only. what was shown at the meeting really validated R2D2's points and the research she posted.

Tell me !:popcorn:

:ty:

Like I said I will try but if I do let myself get into another bickering argument, pull me out of it? :deal:

Just kidding. :)

I'll watch you if you'll watch me, and maybe R2D2 will keep an eye on us both!

Cloggy,

I meant that statement as a comment that it would probably get very interesting. Cloggy, I DO understand that English is not your first language. Please correct me if I am wrong: Isn't Dutch your first language?

I meant that statement as a comment that it would probably get very interesting. Cloggy, I DO understand that English is not your first language. Please correct me if I am wrong: Isn't Dutch your first language?
You're right..

Guess the "I can just imagine... " part made me wonder what you thought that I would think....

Nothing to do with first or second languages....

Jag,

Not having any personal experience with deafness we were open to all options, however, once we learned of, and investigated, the auditory/oral approach that was our preference. This did not mean that we chose the oral approach to the forever exclusion of signing or other approaches. Our daughter was just a little over a year old at that time. We had no guaranties and no certainties as to whether she would ever acquire language orally, however we determined that at that point in time it made sense to at least attempt the oral approach cognizant of the fact that we were not ruling out any future options, including sign. Upon receiving her cochlear implant at the age of 2 ½, our daughter began to rapidly acquire and develop speech and language. Within months she was able to speak in short sentences and to use multi-syllabic words. We are not opposed to sign.

Rick

Jag,

Not having any personal experience with deafness we were open to all options, however, once we learned of, and investigated, the auditory/oral approach that was our preference. This did not mean that we chose the oral approach to the forever exclusion of signing or other approaches. Our daughter was just a little over a year old at that time. We had no guaranties and no certainties as to whether she would ever acquire language orally, however we determined that at that point in time it made sense to at least attempt the oral approach cognizant of the fact that we were not ruling out any future options, including sign. Upon receiving her cochlear implant at the age of 2 ½, our daughter began to rapidly acquire and develop speech and language. Within months she was able to speak in short sentences and to use multi-syllabic words. We are not opposed to sign.

Rick

Ditto...
This sounds like us and Lotte.......

I asked the director of the CI program for permission to share what I learned at the meeting. She said that is fine as long as I dont use names here. Well, a committee went to different programs and found a CI program at a public school that uses the BiBi approach..sign language and spoken language. All of their students (about 20 or so) are reading and writing above their grade level. The committe has visited programs that used oral only and found that there was a variety of success with the children..some are reading and writing above grade level but most are delayed. The committe has determined that a combination of signing and the CI really makes the difference. The committee has seen improvement in speech skills from the children with the CIs over children with no CIs but reading and writing levels, no difference. Just found that interesting.

I asked the director of the CI program for permission to share what I learned at the meeting. She said that is fine as long as I dont use names here. Well, a committee went to different programs and found a CI program at a public school that uses the BiBi approach..sign language and spoken language. All of their students (about 20 or so) are reading and writing above their grade level. The committe has visited programs that used oral only and found that there was a variety of success with the children..some are reading and writing above grade level but most are delayed. The committe has determined that a combination of signing and the CI really makes the difference. The committee has seen improvement in speech skills from the children with the CIs over children with no CIs but reading and writing levels, no difference. Just found that interesting.

It is interesting! :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Back