CI on 6 year old.

I prefer BiBi myself as I find speech and sign together too distracting. I also don't like to speak and sign at the same time.

I prefer BiBi myself as I find speech and sign together too distracting. I also don't like to speak and sign at the same time.

Agreed. I am hearing, and find it very difficult to sign correctly while speaking.

That's interesting because I was more comfortable with SEE, perhaps because English WAS my first language?

I agree with u..I have tried it and my thoughts just kept on getting jumbled up. I prefer to sign without speaking or speak without signing. Keeps things simple. :giggle:

Please do investigate. It makes more sense linguistically, educationalyy, and developmentally. TC evolved out of the Combined method of using speech and sign simultaneously. The combined method was proposed as a sloution to the oral method that was lowering literacy rates and having negative consequences on the education of profoundly deaf children who experienced difficulty with spoken language. They just keep reinventing the wheel it seems.

Okay, so if CIs happened to be used more often in a BiBi environment in reality, then you would feel less of a personal objection to them?

It seems to me that CIs for profoundly deaf children would be a useful tool for those who advocate the BiBi approach. When I googled for BiBi education I came across a paper written by an Australian academic that persuasively argued that CIs and sign language could complement each other - it's a bit long but an interesting read for bed time.

http://www.griffith.edu.au/centre/casd/Sign_Language.pdf

Okay, so if CIs happened to be used more often in a BiBi environment in reality, then you would feel less of a personal objection to them?

It seems to me that CIs for profoundly deaf children would be a useful tool for those who advocate the BiBi approach. When I googled for BiBi education I came across a paper written by an Australian academic that persuasively argued that CIs and sign language could complement each other - it's a bit long but an interesting read for bed time.

Very good article and it is what I believe in strongly. The part about the past teaching us educators to be skeptical of any new "miracle" hearing devices is so true. U cant blame me for being skeptical cuz I am still seeing many children with CIs who still strongly rely on a visual language. I can understand the parents' view too..it is a good way for both sides or views to work together.

Interesting that AG Bell said that there will be no need for the latter (meaning sign language) once children develop oral skills. Didnt apply in my case even though I did so well with the oral only approach...just like the article stated, there were still linguistic needs that werent met and identity issues. I am sure it applies to many people about not needing sign language.

Interesting what some of the children saying about themselves being a bad baby because they were born deaf. I used to think my brother and I did something wrong as babies and as a result, we were born deaf. I know..illogical reasoning but that can lead to bigger identity issues later on if not addressed properly.

Thanks for the article. It was very interesting. :)

Cool, I'm glad you liked the article :)

I just think that from a social policy point of view people have to put asside their personal objections to child implantation and accept that it will happen and learn to work with that. On this board we've spent excessive time on whether or not it's ethical to implant children and less time on ideas of how to build self esteem and incorporate signing to complement AV therapy. I noticed that some of the parents who have come here were inspired to start signing but have been put off by the overall negativity (yes from both sides).

I think these things can be worked with by adopting a positive "your child can have it all" approach. For example, the article builds up a case of showing that signing is not detrimental to oral development and can actually help it. I think many parents would find that helpful to know this.

I'm with R2D2 on this one. Although lipreading is good, it can be exhausting on the lipreader. AVT is a big help in less than ideal lipreading situations but the user of the CI/HA must be able to benefit from it in order to use AVT. Sign is great but not everyone knows it which is too bad. :(

When I first went to deaf school, my parents feared I'd lose my ability to speak and I'd become one of those kids who signed only. I never lost my ability to speak. As long as the deaf child can benefit from HAs or CIs, sign won't affect speech.

I just think that from a social policy point of view people have to put asside their personal objections to child implantation and accept that it will happen and learn to work with that. On this board we've spent excessive time on whether or not it's ethical to implant children and less time on ideas of how to build self esteem and incorporate signing to complement AV therapy. I noticed that some of the parents who have come here were inspired to start signing but have been put off by the overall negativity (yes from both sides).

I would hope people wont just look only at this forum for research on the benefits of signing and CIs. I would hope they would look to more sources especially in person rather than an internet source like this one.

I think these things can be worked with by adopting a positive "your child can have it all" approach. For example, the article builds up a case of showing that signing is not detrimental to oral development and can actually help it. I think many parents would find that helpful to know this.

I agree with u.

Thanks for the link. And yes, as I've said before, I don't have an objection to CI as much as the attitude of a child not needing visual input via sign and other visual modes because they now function as hearing.

I couldn't agree with you more. In fact, if you will recall having read them, I have posted numerous times on the self esteem issues, identity issues, as well as developmental and educational issues associated with the oral philosophy and culural estrangement. And have always advocated for a bi-bi approach.

Thanks for the link. And yes, as I've said before, I don't have an objection to CI as much as the attitude of a child not needing visual input via sign and other visual modes because they now function as hearing.

Most of the children with CI that I have encounter do good with auditory input but most of them still need some visual input to support the missed gaps.

Most of the children with CI that I have encounter do good with auditory input but most of them still need some visual input to support the missed gaps.

That's been my experience, as well.

Most of the children with CI that I have encountered do great with auditory input and most of them do not need some visual input.

I guess it all depends on the perspective you're looking from....
Sitting on the middle of the road, you can look to the left, and to the right and both views are correct. Different but correct.
Question is... what distance of road are you looking at.. and how old is that raod...

Most of the children with CI that I have encountered do great with auditory input and most of them do not need some visual input.

I guess it all depends on the perspective you're looking from....
Sitting on the middle of the road, you can look to the left, and to the right and both views are correct. Different but correct.
Question is... what distance of road are you looking at.. and how old is that raod...

And how many cars are on that road.

I just think that from a social policy point of view people have to put aside their personal objections to child implantation and accept that it will happen and learn to work with that. On this board we've spent excessive time on whether or not it's ethical to implant children and less time on ideas of how to build self esteem and incorporate signing to complement AV therapy. I noticed that some of the parents who have come here were inspired to start signing but have been put off by the overall negativity (yes from both sides).

This is about as good as a statement I have seen in a long time about the whole case concerning CIs for children.

Pandora's box has been open and the war is over folks. Let's see how we can assist these kids to do better in life and be more positive about it. All the negativity about the subject was a real turnoff to me and thus why I stayed on the sidelines for the most part on this subject.

This is about as good as a statement I have seen in a long time about the whole case concerning CIs for children.

Pandora's box has been open and the war is over folks. Let's see how we can assist these kids to do better in life and be more positive about it. All the negativity about the subject was a real turnoff to me and thus why I stayed on the sidelines for the most part on this subject.

You're wiser than I am..

And how many cars are on that road.
Ohhh many..I wish I can tel u what happened at the CI meeting we had at my work. very interesting stuff and a lot of proved that with ASL support these kids can really take off. I agree with R2D2, having both can really make a huge difference as opposing having only one of each only. what was shown at the meeting really validated R2D2's points and the research she posted.

Ohhh many..I wish I can tel u what happened at the CI meeting we had at my work. very interesting stuff and a lot of proved that with ASL support these kids can really take off. I agree with R2D2, having both can really make a huge difference as opposing having only one of each only. what was shown at the meeting really validated R2D2's points and the research she posted.

Are you restricted by privacy concerns from sharing the findings of the meeting?

Back