CI Moments

To all of you that posted in this now, seemingly, dead thread, I thank you. I just hope some of you are still hear to read this. One of my favorite things to listen to has always been music. All kinds of music, from country to hard rock to goth to whatever.. Since my Meniere's has taken most of my hearing and the quality of sound, music just plain sounds like crap these days. I miss it so much (that and cat purrs in my ears) but you have given me hope that one day I will be able to have those sounds back. Since my hearing (comprehension) is getting worse, I don't think it will be that long before my ha's no longer help. Once that time comes, I will be eligible for coverage for a CI by military insurance. All the doctors and audiologists have told me is that I will never hear normally again..that it will all be different. Reading this thread has given me a lot of hope and I :ty: all for it. I had "normal" hearing for 50 years and all this hearing loss has only been in under two years...and that can get depressing. So :ty: again.

Took a few pages to find this again. I have not had too many more CI moments until yesterday.

I teach in a portable with a wooden ramp. As I was enjoying my lunch, not really but have to eat, another teacher walked up the ramp. I could hear her walking up and knew before she came to the door. Nice feeling!

The second moment was at the eye doctor. I have used the same eye doctor for 10 years. I went in yesterday without my side kick(my daughter) to pick up my glasses. The assistant who has worked with me for 10 years always remembers to look at me so I can read her lips. I never have to remind anyone, they always remember and have it on my chart. Yesterday as I was leaving, she came back to me and stated that for the first time, I didn't seem to need to see her lips and followed along just fine. She asked if they worked for me. I answered yes. Then this comment, that I seem so happy and at peace. I guess less stress to lip read and less stress focused on hearing and more enjoying.

My CI moment 2 weeks after activation..... heard my cat purr/meow! I had cats all my life and never heard those special sounds... I now lie in my bed with my cat on my chest purring away, i was able to enjoy it more with ci, for 5 mins it relaxes me and sends me off to slumber (i took the CI off the moment i doze off!)

My children just recently upgraded to the freedom. My daughter told her audiologist to lower a frequency because she was hearing the A/C and she said there is no need fo rme to hear the A/C.

My children just recently upgraded to the freedom. My daughter told her audiologist to lower a frequency because she was hearing the A/C and she said there is no need fo rme to hear the A/C.

*snickers* That's just way too funny. I hate the A/C as well. After I got electrode 12 turned off, it sounded BETTER. It didn't go away, but it's definitely made a difference.

How does your daughter like the Freedom?

Another CI moment

Can something as prosaic as listening to the car radio on the way home from work in a traffic jam---and actually *understanding* the news---be considered a CI moment?

I used to hate traffic jams; wasting my life on 101. Now, they don't bother me so much; there's always some interesting story or news on some radio channel to listen to.

Can something as prosaic as listening to the car radio on the way home from work in a traffic jam---and actually *understanding* the news---be considered a CI moment?

I used to hate traffic jams; wasting my life on 101. Now, they don't bother me so much; there's always some interesting story or news on some radio channel to listen to.

That sounds (no pun intended) like a wonderful CI moment to me, rokicki! Congratulations! :)

Your post reminds me of the time I was listening to a talk radio program. In the middle of it, I suddenly realized that I was able to understand 50% of what one caller said. Because of that, I was able to identify that the topic of discussion was the war in Iraq. I was tickled pink because I knew things were finally starting to come together in terms of my speech understanding with CI.

Indeed, that is a moment worth posting... I am happy for you, but I still hate traffic jams.....

Just wanted to update on Ashleys progress. She is doing so well. She is letting her teachers do more hand under hand. She is learning signs now. Her vocabulary is still very limited. She imitates a lot of sounds when she hears them. She likes to hear the bell on the elevator. When the door opens and dings she will ding too. It is too cute. She sings (her version) and fusses at her toys. She has come out of her shell. She is turning into my big girl. Her audi says she is at or near normal hearing levels on both sides. We are getting the Opus2 upgrade on her right side in December. She is eating better and she likes school this year. She has started making the kiss sound when I kiss her. She will smile and then make the sound and put her hand over my mouth so I can blow a kiss.

Just wanted to update on Ashleys progress. She is doing so well. She is letting her teachers do more hand under hand. She is learning signs now. Her vocabulary is still very limited. She imitates a lot of sounds when she hears them. She likes to hear the bell on the elevator. When the door opens and dings she will ding too. It is too cute. She sings (her version) and fusses at her toys. She has come out of her shell. She is turning into my big girl. Her audi says she is at or near normal hearing levels on both sides. We are getting the Opus2 upgrade on her right side in December. She is eating better and she likes school this year. She has started making the kiss sound when I kiss her. She will smile and then make the sound and put her hand over my mouth so I can blow a kiss.

Wonderful! :D

Thanks for the update and so glad to hear about Ashley.

These are wonderful moments. may you enjoy each moment.

CI moment is understanding my friend who has strong northern accent.... She was shocked as i am! I never understood her much pre CI.

Back