CI Moments

3 month checkup

Well just got back from my 3 month activation checkup.

My comprehension with my unaided ear was left 17% and my right 1%. This was a year ago for my evaluation for CI.

Now my left ear is 92% comprehension and my right ear is 84% comprehension. When they were tested together it is a WOW 96%.

What a wow day!

My comprehension with my unaided ear was left 17% and my right 1%. This was a year ago for my evaluation for CI.

Now my left ear is 92% comprehension and my right ear is 84% comprehension. When they were tested together it is a WOW 96%.

What a wow day!

:applause: That is WONDERFUL!! I am so overjoyed for you!! How did you feel when the audi told you that glorious number?!

:h5:

:applause: That is WONDERFUL!! I am so overjoyed for you!! How did you feel when the audi told you that glorious number?!

:h5:

I cried. My audie cried! I'm overwhelmed. Never in my life would I have thought I would ever hear like this. I spent most of my life deaf and accepted it. It has given me the life I want - conversations, music, and of course my jenna.

I could tell a big, huge different in using 2 implants over one. I still need to work on words in isolation. Like my audie said - it has only been 3 months.

3 months and loving each and everyday!!!!!!

I cried. My audie cried! I'm overwhelmed. Never in my life would I have thought I would ever hear like this. I spent most of my life deaf and accepted it. It has given me the life I want - conversations, music, and of course my jenna.

I could tell a big, huge different in using 2 implants over one. I still need to work on words in isolation. Like my audie said - it has only been 3 months.

My eyes filled up, I can't even begin to think of an adjective that would fit this! I'm amazed, it is absolutely amazing Val!!

Wow. Awesome!

What a wow day!

:jaw:

congrats and this encourages me ! I even don't have 30% of comprehension within noise :(

I was at the computer when I heard some sounds and I listened closely and then I realized that what I'm hearing is my dryer. I was like that's can't be the dryer. That's impossible!

You see the dryer is not in my apt. All dryers are in separte room connected to apts at my apt; thus they are just outside the apts. You either have to walk across your patio to or your baloncy to your dryer. I walked across my patio and yes it IS my dryer that I'm hearing.

I've never been able to hear my dryer with my ha if I wasn't in the room.

I was at the computer when I heard some sounds and I listened closely and then I realized that what I'm hearing is my dryer. I was like that's can't be the dryer. That's impossible!

You see the dryer is not in my apt. All dryers are in separte room connected to apts at my apt; thus they are just outside the apts. You either have to walk across your patio to or your baloncy to your dryer. I walked across my patio and yes it IS my dryer that I'm hearing.

Holy crabapple! That is great! You should throw a quarter in there and see if you can hear the dinkling :)

What a cool moment! :)

I was wondering for those of you that have 2 implants. What do you think about them. My son is 15 was implanted 13 years ago. He does really well with his implant but it is harder for him to localize sounds. I am not sure if we should implant. That other ear he hasn't ever used. I am wondering what your thoughts are. Do you think it would be worth to seek a second implant.

Hi Jackie,

Even though it's improved with the second implant, sound localisation isn't all that important to me in terms of making a practical difference to my life style.

What I do notice though is the ability to hear better in noisy situations. Having the two CIs seems to make the speaker's voice stand out more. I also like that I have two ears as a contingency if something goes wrong with one. My hearing aid in the second ear wasn't giving me enough input for me to actually notice it was switched on. And I remember how exhausted I used to get from lipreading after my sudden loss and waiting for the first implant to be done.

I also notice improvement in the way music sounds too.

I was going to say that the downside is that your son would lose the residual hearing in the second ear but if he has never used it then I assume the loss is very big? Perhaps you could trial him with a hearing aid to see how much he likes two ears?

What is your son saying about all of this? If it's something he wants to do then go for it. I haven't had any regrets. As soon as I was activated I knew I had made the right decision.

I was wondering for those of you that have 2 implants. What do you think about them. My son is 15 was implanted 13 years ago. He does really well with his implant but it is harder for him to localize sounds. I am not sure if we should implant. That other ear he hasn't ever used. I am wondering what your thoughts are. Do you think it would be worth to seek a second implant.

I have two implants. Localizing sound is much easier than with HA. When I have both on, I can identify which direction the noise is coming from. My left ear is my "better ear." So it makes up for the right ear. (hope that makes sense).

I would try a HA first. Also evaluate the scores from the audiogram. I'm a number person, I need to see the numbers in relationship to compare the data. Also since he is 15, what does he want? Let him help make the choice as well.

I would never make the choice for him at his age. I just wanted to gather some thoughts before I began my research and then approach him with it. Let him think it over.

I have two implants. Localizing sound is much easier than with HA. When I have both on, I can identify which direction the noise is coming from. My left ear is my "better ear." So it makes up for the right ear. (hope that makes sense).

I would try a HA first. Also evaluate the scores from the audiogram. I'm a number person, I need to see the numbers in relationship to compare the data. Also since he is 15, what does he want? Let him help make the choice as well.

When I went to the grocery store and I had the radio on while I was driving and then much to my surprise I find that I can make out many of the words in the song. I can't remember everything I heard but I do remember hearing the words "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer" and some words like sleigh and either brand new day or brand new apple. That's what it sounded like to me

I would never make the choice for him at his age. I just wanted to gather some thoughts before I began my research and then approach him with it. Let him think it over.

How does your son feel about his implant? I really love mine. To me, it is no different than getting up and putting in my HA. Its a part of my life. It just gives me so much more.

Good luck researching.

When I went to the grocery store and I had the radio on while I was driving and then much to my surprise I find that I can make out many of the words in the song. I can't remember everything I heard but I do remember hearing the words "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer" and some words like sleigh and either brand new day or brand new apple. That's what it sounded like to me

LOL! You might be sick of that by 25th December!

You just reminded at Thanksgiving is when all the Christmas songs play non-stop 24 hours a day :) That is an awesome moment Deafskeptic :)

Jingle Bells, batmen smells, Robin laid an egg!

I had a moment at Home Depot self check out yesterday, I scanned an item in and I heard it tell me the price! :)

You just reminded at Thanksgiving is when all the Christmas songs play non-stop 24 hours a day :) That is an awesome moment Deafskeptic :)

Jingle Bells, batmen smells, Robin laid an egg!

I had a moment at Home Depot self check out yesterday, I scanned an item in and I heard it tell me the price! :)

That is awesome. Just remember do not try and talk back to it! You can't bargin down the prices.

Bring on those christmas songs - Can't wait!!!!!

Back