CI Moments

I had a CI moment today! I was in the kitchen making Leek soup and I was chopping up potatoes for it. I had my back turned to my mom who was in the living room. She says to me "Does this look alright?" I turned around and I told her it looks fine but add a jacket. I went back to chopping up potatoes and my mom goes, "Abbie! You just heard me!" That was my big moment today.

While I am on the subject of the kitchen, I hear things frying, oil popping, things cooking in general. I never heard frying unless it was like French fries frying, but not little thing like onions and garlic. It is so cool :)

Valle- Thank god your little girl is ok! I would have felt so comforted that I could hear my daughter yell for me like that. Thats a dynamite moment!

I had a CI moment today! I was in the kitchen making Leek soup and I was chopping up potatoes for it. I had my back turned to my mom who was in the living room. She says to me "Does this look alright?" I turned around and I told her it looks fine but add a jacket. I went back to chopping up potatoes and my mom goes, "Abbie! You just heard me!" That was my big moment today.

While I am on the subject of the kitchen, I hear things frying, oil popping, things cooking in general. I never heard frying unless it was like French fries frying, but not little thing like onions and garlic. It is so cool :)

Valle- Thank god your little girl is ok! I would have felt so comforted that I could hear my daughter yell for me like that. Thats a dynamite moment!

Awesome!!! Kitchen sounds are so wonderful. I love that sizzle now.

When my Jen was little she use to sleep with me since my husband worked 3rd shift, because I was so worried about hearing her. I have all the flasher stuff, but nothing matters if you can't get to them in time. I would sleep with one hearing aid on at night so I could hear her.

On the plus side, her dance routine is Footlose. So what fun it will be to hear it.

Oh, yeah. It took me a while to learn what the popping and sizzling sounds were like when I fry my foods. I rarely eat fried foods but once in a blue moon I must have something fried. Last night I had fried pork chops.

That's great, Contradica :)
I wonder if any CI user can hear a gas hissing out while opening a soft drink bottle?

Fuzzy

I wonder if any CI user can hear a gas hissing out while opening a soft drink bottle?

Fuzzy

I heard that they can, someone left a comment on my blog going "just wait until you hear the fizz when you open up a soda." This might take me a little while because I don't drink soda :)

Fuzzy

Actually you can Fuzzy, I hear it everytime I open my pop cans or bottles of pop. But then again, I recognize easier cause I could always hear it, even when I had the hearing aids.

The one thing, I cannot hear as of yet, that many say they can is birds and crickets and such like that. Maybe someday as I am only a year post activation.

Actually you can Fuzzy, I hear it everytime I open my pop cans or bottles of pop. But then again, I recognize easier cause I could always hear it, even when I had the hearing aids.

The one thing, I cannot hear as of yet, that many say they can is birds and crickets and such like that. Maybe someday as I am only a year post activation.

I can hear birds but it has to be in quiet. I can hear the rustling of the leaves outside since this weekend I was spraying the perimeter of the house, the windows and doors with insect repellent. I can hear crickets but I have a music program which is the only one I can pick the crickets up on. I don't want to hear them hence the reason for the insect repellent all around the windows and doors of my house. I looked like a member of FEMA spraying that stuff. :) I'm sure my neighbors were wondering what I was doing.

Fuzzy

I've always been able to hear gas hissing out of the soft drink bottles even with my HA when I wore them.

I've had my ci since the fall of '04 but some sounds that were distinct to me upon activation: The microwave beeping, the rustle of fall leaves, birds (aside from crows!) chirping, the purring of my kitties... It's enabled me to speak on the phone with family, something that was implausible before with ha's. I long for a second ci, though I'm holding out 'till they come out with the latest and greatest new advancement.

Contradicta said: While I am on the subject of the kitchen, I hear things frying, oil popping, things cooking in general. I never heard frying unless it was like French fries frying, but not little thing like onions and garlic. It is so cool.

That is a cool moment in that this will help you regulate the heat on the stove for the frying, sauteing, etc of certain foods. And if you have tacos on a regular basis like we do wherein we heat up corn tortillas in oil, this heat regulation will come in handy.

That is a cool moment in that this will help you regulate the heat on the stove for the frying, sauteing, etc of certain foods. And if you have tacos on a regular basis like we do wherein we heat up corn tortillas in oil, this heat regulation will come in handy.

Sure does!! I was always burning my garlic in olive oil lol!!

I can hear birds but it has to be in quiet. I can hear the rustling of the leaves outside since this weekend I was spraying the perimeter of the house, the windows and doors with insect repellent. I can hear crickets but I have a music program which is the only one I can pick the crickets up on. I don't want to hear them hence the reason for the insect repellent all around the windows and doors of my house. I looked like a member of FEMA spraying that stuff. :) I'm sure my neighbors were wondering what I was doing.

That's interesting about the comments about birds - I seem to remember Boult saying he couldn't hear them either but not 100% sure on that. They seem quite loud to me and I can hear them singing outside from inside the house. LOL about hating the sound of crickets. I hear cicadas more often here which is a similar sound and I love it. Maybe it's a quirk of our programs?

Cool! with my hearing aids I can barely hear fizzing gas unless I have volume set on very loud - but normally I can not have it so loud.
As for birds- I can hear crows, woodpecker, that's about that, lol.
I wonder what could I have been able to hear if I was CI-ed.... mmmmm...

Fuzzy

That's interesting about the comments about birds - I seem to remember Boult saying he couldn't hear them either but not 100% sure on that. They seem quite loud to me and I can hear them singing outside from inside the house. LOL about hating the sound of crickets. I hear cicadas more often here which is a similar sound and I love it. Maybe it's a quirk of our programs?

Interesting.. I can hear sounds of crickets ,birds with my has but speech is blurry . I'm not interested in hearing crickets , environmental sounds etc.. my main concern is speech itself

Cool! with my hearing aids I can barely hear fizzing gas unless I have volume set on very loud - but normally I can not have it so loud.
As for birds- I can hear crows, woodpecker, that's about that, lol.
I wonder what could I have been able to hear if I was CI-ed.... mmmmm...

Fuzzy

You know, you would probably benefit from the autosensitivity program (and the equivilent on AB and Med El) for the times when you don't want a lot of noise. It's really cool, it dampens the noise in the background and you only hear sounds that are close to you. At times when I am tired or in a noisy situation it really is invaluable. I couldn't get anything as good with hearing aids - it was all or nothing in my own experience.

You argue so hard for CIs, that you really should be getting one! :dance2:

You know, you would probably benefit from the autosensitivity program (and the equivilent on AB and Med El) for the times when you don't want a lot of noise. It's really cool, it dampens the noise in the background and you only hear sounds that are close to you. At times when I am tired or in a noisy situation it really is invaluable. I couldn't get anything as good with hearing aids - it was all or nothing in my own experience.

You argue so hard for CIs, that you really should be getting one! :dance2:

I DREAM of CI.. but like I've said I risk a lot, I am already in chronic pain for the past few years and I shudder to think it could be worse. damn this disease, damn damn damn.

But I feel happy reading you guys successes :)

I will look into autosensitivity programm - thanks for the info!

Fuzzy

I had a CI moment earlier tonight. While I was cooking some food, I heard a sound that didn't quite sound like frying in the kitchen so I checked out the sound. Turns out that I left water running in the sink. Thank goodness my kitchen isn't flooded again today!

Deafskeptic that is great!! Are you sensitive to hearing running water because I am? I seem to pick up on running water no matter where it is in the house.

These kitchen moments are making me cry! :)

Back