CI Evaluation

You should first try Naida UP which is the most powerful aid on the market, then they will be convinced.

And your speech scores may improve with an aid that is much better.

Sounds like they are more driven by money then how much which will help the patient.

Not really as the aids cost very little on the NHS.....

There are many people that was going to go for a CI that first tired the Naidas and are doing very well and don't need at this point to get a CI. Yes everyone is different and the Naida UP won't be great for everyone but it definely worth a try, I believe.

Not really as the aids cost very little on the NHS.....

There are many people that was going to go for a CI that first tired the Naidas and are doing very well and don't need at this point to get a CI. Yes everyone is different and the Naida UP won't be great for everyone but it definely worth a try, I believe.

The original post by C-NICE mentions appointment at Cleveland Clinic which is in Cleveland, OH in the USA. Unless there is a free trail available that is long enough to really know that could mean spending thousands and still not getting what a CI could give.

The original post by C-NICE mentions appointment at Cleveland Clinic which is in Cleveland, OH in the USA. Unless there is a free trail available that is long enough to really know that could mean spending thousands and still not getting what a CI could give.

Was only giving my opinion on things. I was talking ABOUT MY CI centre and the benefit of the Naidas that people have found THAT ARE BASED IN THE USA!!

CIs are meant for people who don't benefit from HAs, even the most powerful aids.

Want me to stick with HA's For now

Hi Mr. Curtis,
I know that we didn't have a lot of time to discuss your results at your appointment. I understand that you are having difficulty understanding speech in your everyday life.

Recall at the appointment we used clinic hearing aids for all of the testing, as your hearing aids are not amplifying enough for your hearing loss. It is very likely that with your own hearing aids you would not have performed as well on all of the testing.

I do recommend that you return to your audiologist to reprogram your current hearing aids or to discuss newer hearing aid technology. The testing that we completed suggested that you have the ability to hear very well with hearing aids if they are programmed appropriately for your hearing loss. I hope this helps to clarify some of your questions. Please do not hesitate to email if you have any questions.

Sincerely,
Rachel Vovos, Au.D.

If you try the Naidas UP then they can't complain about the HAs as they are the most powerful.

The clinic HAs that you used, where they more powerful then you HAs now. Do you feel you could hear better with them then the ones you have now?

They say that you have the ability to hear very well with the right hearing aids, can understand why they said that.

Cannot post audiogram

My audiogram seems to be to large of a file to attach speech dicrimination unaided 44% right & 64 left starting 70dbs left and 75 right Ski sloping 115dbs left and 120dbs right.

My audiogram seems to be to large of a file to attach speech dicrimination unaided 44% right & 64 left starting 70dbs left and 75 right Ski sloping 115dbs left and 120dbs right.

Is that with your unpowered aids now?

Your scores would become better when you are wearing aids suitable for your loss.

You would fit the Naidas up and the Oticon Chillis.

there are still list of aids that can help you .

- Siemens Pure carat
- Oticon Agil Pro and Chili SP9
- Naida UP ( The most powerful aid).

I suggest you trial Chili and Naida.

I'm confused. Everything I have read implies that qualifying for an implant has become much easier in the past few years. For instance I have a profound loss in both ears. First marks on my chart start at 90+ decibels and get worse as frequency gets higher. Speech comprehension is in the low 40% for both ears. I've been told I'm a candidate but have never been tested. So I'm curious as to your test scores and why they said you don't qualify. I also live in the Cleveland area so I'm wondering what guide lines the Cleveland Clinic uses.

I'm confused. Everything I have read implies that qualifying for an implant has become much easier in the past few years. For instance I have a profound loss in both ears. First marks on my chart start at 90+ decibels and get worse as frequency gets higher. Speech comprehension is in the low 40% for both ears. I've been told I'm a candidate but have never been tested. So I'm curious as to your test scores and why they said you don't qualify. I also live in the Cleveland area so I'm wondering what guide lines the Cleveland Clinic uses.

Think the problem was is the aids he is wearing are under powered for his loss anyway.

Insurance & Tired

I hope my Hit Pro can be reprogrammed(Had to go through vocational rehab) for them. My loss is progressive(Since it wont stop anyway what is the point of residual hearing being so important, it is no like I am going to keep it anyway). My insurance does not pay for Hearing Aids but will pay for a Cochlear Implant(It I can just get approved for one because it is a prosthethic). Lastly after years and years of slowly having my ears become more and useless I have reached complete emotional burnout.

I hope my Hit Pro can be reprogrammed(Had to go through vocational rehab) for them. My loss is progressive(Since it wont stop anyway what is the point of residual hearing being so important, it is no like I am going to keep it anyway). My insurance does not pay for Hearing Aids but will pay for a Cochlear Implant(It I can just get approved for one because it is a prosthethic). Lastly after years and years of slowly having my ears become more and useless I have reached complete emotional burnout.

From looking at the fitting ranges, they can be re programmed but you are out the range for your high frequency. You won't get as much hearing as you would with other more powerful aids. I'm no Audi tho, I just looked at the fitting ranges.

Your aids go up to 105db in high frequency and 90db in low frequency.

Maybe when you go back next year, it will be a different outcome.

I know LoveZebras has a progressive loss and is in the fitting range for a CI but kept getting told she couldn't get one. She's in Canada not USA.

Progressive loss may take another 30 years to become even worse, you never know with a progressive loss.

I still don't get it. Volume doesn't necessarily mean that an individual will hear better. Since when does maxing out an aid become a prerequisite. The Cleveland Clinic could have determined that while the individual was there being tested. And since when does some residual hearing make a person ineligible. One of the problems with a cochlear implant is that the surgery will cause the person to lose whatever residual hearing he still may have. We have a case here with someone who has a progressive loss and is currently wearing hi powered hearing aids and is still struggling. Like I asked before what's the Clev clinics criteria since its sounds much more stringent then other people who have received implants have had to go through.

Oticon Hit is not for profound loss.

If you don't use Phonak Naida UP , no one will put you on CI surgery.

Oticon Hit is not for profound loss.

If you don't use Phonak Naida UP , no one will put you on CI surgery.

Oticon Hit Pros is way less powerful then the Naida UP, by 10dbs! 10db is a huge amount, when you are profoundly deaf, EVERY db counts, even 1db less can cause real problems! That could make all the different. And it doesn't mean maxing out aids, normally better aids for hearing loss means better sound!

Stuck

My insurance company(Considers hearing aids cosmetic). Do not have the funds to buy new ones(Vocational Rehab already got me the Hit Pros). So it seems without the CI which would be covered I am just stuck!!

My insurance company(Considers hearing aids cosmetic). Do not have the funds to buy new ones(Vocational Rehab already got me the Hit Pros). So it seems without the CI which would be covered I am just stuck!!

Can the VR not get you new aids? It's not like you lost/broke your ones now. Show the letter you got from the CI centre stating that they believe you need to get better HAs to hear better. Worth a shot, I think!

With the Phonak Sound Recover, you may notice a huge different. My loss is worse then yours and sound recover has done wonders for me :)

Back