CI--Deaf or Hearing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you still think drPhil was not calling us out as deaf militants? (That was my first question to you on previous page.)

You PM'd me earlier -- I know per AD rules we cannot disclose the contents of others' PMs, so no worries as far as your PM. But, in my response to you, I mentioned that I'd like an explanation of drPhil's "select group of NON militant deafs". What/who (not referring to specific AD'ers) do you see that fits in there? Those who are passive and keep their mouths shut and don't voice any opinion, wants about d/Deafness?

I'm sorry, but maybe drphil can give you an explanation of his term and who fits it -- I really don't know, and I'm not sure why you are asking me what he thinks :dunno:?

In my pm, I told you I get the sense he was being self-referential and defines himself as a non-militant small d deaf at this point in his life, but that's just a guess based on some posts and I can't speculate any more than that.

I'm sorry, but maybe drphil can give you an explanation of his term and who fits it -- I really don't know, and I'm not sure why you are asking me what he thinks :dunno:?

In my pm, I told you I get the sense he was being self-referential and defines himself as a non-militant small d deaf at this point in his life, but that's just a guess based on some posts and I can't speculate any more than that.

Edit: I left a snide comment. I take it back. I don't wanna be that kind of person.

I have interacted with sweetmind directly, very memorably. But I'm not the one calling her a deaf militant, you are. And that's why I wanted to know what the term means to people, what it means to call someone a deaf militant seems to vary widely.

Do you think that Deaf militants should be restricted in their roles to interact and have an impact within some narrowly defined segment of society, rather than more broadly as I've described? If so, how do you see a Deaf militant achieving public office, as Beo indicated?

I used sweetmind as an example of what is generally accepted as a Deaf militant...and there are no sweetminds here. And I also stated, in this very thread, that she had some very valid points in her perspective.

Again, what it means does not vary widely. The intent of the use of the term varies between the Deaf and the hearing.

Now you are talking campaign issues. What exactly do you think addressing Deaf issues from a Deaf perspective of power is going to do for the hearing population? If they had something to gain from it, it would have been policy a long time ago.:cool2:

And yet, you thanked him for giving you membership into that group.:cool2:

Not so much asking you what he thinks. But we all know -- he will go back to his books from the 1990's and reference those again. We can just see it coming.

You PMd me first telling me this. If he's just defining himself as you think, where does he get off with all of his snide comments to us over months that have sparked off the last 10 pages?

And yet, you thanked him for giving you membership into that group.:cool2:

Yes I did. Maybe he doesn't see calling other people "Deaf militant" to be a kind thing, a position many people have expressed here. Looked at from that position, seems like a nice thing for him to say to me. Did you also note that along with my ty, I also wrote "Although I suspect I'll be a bit militant Deaf if need be at some point in the future." ?

edit: Am I violating some rule about responding courteously to people you don't like?

Not so much asking you what he thinks. But we all know -- he will go back to his books from the 1990's and reference those again. We can just see it coming.

You PMd me first telling me this. If he's just defining himself as you think, where does he get off with all of his snide comments to us over months that have sparked off the last 10 pages?

Again, I don't know what he's thinking. I'm not sure why you want me to speak on his behalf, I don't have a master remote controlling all who use CIs. I'm not an ambassador to Canada. And I am rarely at the pool in Toronto. I'm just not privy to "where he gets off."

Or including others in his special group that he thinks are in agreement with him? Quite obviously, he extends it well beyond himself.

Yes I did. Maybe he doesn't see calling other people "Deaf militant" to be a kind thing, a position many people have expressed here. Looked at from that position, seems like a nice thing for him to say to me. Did you also note that along with my ty, I also wrote "Although I suspect I'll be a bit militant Deaf if need be at some point in the future." ?

edit: Am I violating some rule about responding courteously to people you don't like?

Not violating any rule that I am aware of. There is no rule against vacilating and supporting those who insult the Deaf. You can do it from now until the cows come home. Just don't get so defensive when you are called out on it. Take responsibility for your actions.

Wirelessly posted (droid)

The powers that be aren't going to simply hand over the resources. Do you think that men handed over the vote just because women asked nicely? No. Google Alice Paul. The "sufferagettes" were called the Steel Jaw Angels. The former term was intended to mock and insult women activists. Sound familiar? The truth is that they were strong women who demanded their rights. Change needs to come from within the Deaf community. It has to.be self-determinization. If you don't get this, you're part of the problem and need to get out of the way.

Again, I don't know what he's thinking. I'm not sure why you want me to speak on his behalf, I don't have a master remote controlling all who use CIs. I'm not an ambassador to Canada. And I am rarely at the pool in Toronto. I'm just not privy to "where he gets off."

Because you speaking on his behalf is what the last 10 pages of this thread have been about. And you did it willingly without encouragement from anyone here. People have been explaining and pointing it out to you all day, and yet you still refuse to accept the responsibility for the message your action gives.

Wirelessly posted (droid)

The powers that be aren't going to simply hand over the resources. Do you think that men handed over the vote just because women asked nicely? No. Google Alice Paul. The "sufferagettes" were called the Steel Jaw Angels. The former term was intended to mock and insult women activists. Sound familiar? The truth is that they were strong women who demanded their rights. Change needs to come from within the Deaf community. It has to.be self-determinization. If you don't get this, you're part of the problem and need to get out of the way.

Very well said.

I'm NOT asking you to speak on his behalf.

Why are CI's getting put into this equation?

Why is Canada getting put into this equation?

Why is his deaf-swimming pool getting put into this equation?

Ok, nevermind. Not sure why you bothered to PM me in the first place. You were merely sticking up for drPhil and you don't want to admit it. Okay.

Not violating any rule that I am aware of. There is no rule against vacilating and supporting those who insult the Deaf. You can do it from now until the cows come home. Just don't get so defensive when you are called out on it. Take responsibility for your actions.

Please stop your nonsensical and baseless accusations. You are behaving very spitefully just because you have been caught out contradicting yourself several times over in just this thread alone, for example your "sweetmind IS a deaf militant" vs. "I know of no deaf militants" // and now "sweetmind IS a deaf militant" vs. "And it seems no matter how many times they are told that it is offensive, they continue to use it and to support the use of it. That tells me they really don't give a damn that they are offensive."

My words and actions are aligned and consistent, unlike yours. It's just laughable that you insist on lobbing at me insults and advice that perfectly address your own shortcomings and issues.

Having read about 11screens about supposedly NON EXISTENT ENTITY called -militant deaf/'DEAF/Deaf person- even seems "hearing can be subsumed as well" still leads back to the "apparent simple question"- If non existent why "get excited"?

So the select group of NON militant deaf would be who is left over-everybody?

Deaf Caroline: If you actually read Heather Marsden's article-which I have- she is a NOT Deaf Militant. She suggest that "they" go an chop wood to get rid of their "anger".I suppose it possible she "doesn't know what she is talking about". Does the fact it was published in Deaf Canada Today suggest something?

In real life- I have NEVER discussed Deaf Militants-I don't know any. Except for the articles I have read.

However can one deduce from the many comments here-alleged nonexistence seems somewhat tenuous to sustain?
No implication-per se- who "alleges" here-fits. Not to read "backwards" .

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

Please stop your nonsensical and baseless accusations. You are behaving very spitefully just because you have been caught out contradicting yourself several times over in just this thread alone, for example your "sweetmind IS a deaf militant" vs. "I know of no deaf militants" // and now "sweetmind IS a deaf militant" vs. "And it seems no matter how many times they are told that it is offensive, they continue to use it and to support the use of it. That tells me they really don't give a damn that they are offensive."

My words and actions are aligned and consistent, unlike yours. It's just laughable that you insist on lobbing at me insults and advice that perfectly address your own shortcomings and issues.

Okay, GrendelQ. Everyone that has pointed it out to you today is wrong and you are right. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back