CI controversy

Does recieving the CI make a person less part of the deaf community?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kristina1109

Reaction score
As a student I am interested in the Deaf/HOH community. I am taking ASL classes and have recently been presented with information on CI. The real question I have is the controversy as real as people make it out to be. I have not met anyone who has said they are against the CI, but I read things online all the time. Any views or experiences would be appreciated.
I was taught in class that people who recieve the CI are no longer considered part of the deaf community and are considered an outcast. I disagree with this view I was taught in class, but I wanted an opinion of someone in the community. I believe it is ok for people to recieve the CI, and should be treated equally as someone who does not have one.

As a student I am interested in the Deaf/HOH community. I am taking ASL classes and have recently been presented with information on CI. The real question I have is the controversy as real as people make it out to be. I have not met anyone who has said they are against the CI, but I read things online all the time. Any views or experiences would be appreciated.
I was taught in class that people who recieve the CI are no longer considered part of the deaf community and are considered an outcast. I disagree with this view I was taught in class, but I wanted an opinion of someone in the community. I believe it is ok for people to recieve the CI, and should be treated equally as someone who does not have one.

Welcome, we are delighted to meet you. :)

"CI are no longer considered part of the deaf community and are considered an outcast. " It appears there is something wrong with the person. S/he may have several reasons. Is it possible that the person is not qualify to get the CI? Or is it because the person doesn't have the money? What made the person to say such things?

What have CI user done to that person? hmmmm

Anyway, that person needs to wake up and walk toward to the light to see the positive side. Every one who get CI has a positive reasons for it and that does not means CI is way smarter and better than Hearing Aid user.... get a life...

CI user is trying to survive and become independent. Why would you want someone to communicate over the phone for you while you you can do it yourself? I am talking about be able to hear and speak someone on the phone like normal hearing.

So stop moping around like a dead zombie and pointing finger at CI user...

Some have already rejected the deaf culture long before they choose CI for themselves. So I don't think having CI make you an outcast.

CI user is trying to survive and become independent. Why would you want someone to communicate over the phone for you while you you can do it yourself? I am talking about be able to hear and speak someone on the phone like normal hearing.

I hope you don't have an unrealistic expectation that CI will cure your hearing enough to hear on the phone. Some people can do it, but not everyone.

our problem is that we can be independent without the hearing. It's just sad that we have to cater hearing people to fit in their world

"CI are no longer considered part of the deaf community and are considered an outcast. " It appears there is something wrong with the person. S/he may have several reasons. Is it possible that the person is not qualify to get the CI? Or is it because the person doesn't have the money? What made the person to say such things?

What have CI user done to that person? hmmmm

Anyway, that person needs to wake up and walk toward to the light to see the positive side. Every one who get CI has a positive reasons for it and that does not means CI is way smarter and better than Hearing Aid user.... get a life...

Only if the CI user has the attitude that they are better than others based on their hearing status is when they wont be accepted by the Deaf community.

No personal feelings.

Why would you want someone to communicate over the phone for you while you you can do it yourself? I am talking about be able to hear and speak someone on the phone like normal hearing.
Well the phone is pretty much dying as a technology. You CAN survive without a phone. Heck, you can use RELAY!!! It would be different if there was no other alternative, but there are tons of alternatives to the telephone.
To the OP, acceptance of CI is coming around. Is it universally accepted? No, but then again when hearing aids were first introduced a lot of Deaf people were against them too!
I bet in ten or twenty years most people won't even think twice about the presense of CI.
There are a lot of implantees who identify strongly as Deaf.

I have a problem with people deliberately turning their backs on deaf culture as a result of CI. It's usually parents with their first deaf child who get them a CI from as early as possible and then send them to an oral/aural school where signing is frowned upon, even socially between BSL users in their residences after school. You can successfully integrate deaf culture into a CI user's life, it's not necessary to whisk them away nor pretend they are not deaf. Instead the culture tends to be split, most CI users go to the oral/aural schools and the BSL kids travel miles to a bi-bi school. There are some CI kids in the local bi-bi school and they are very much so accepted, but parents who choose aural/oral have to try somewhat harder with the Deaf community (as opposed to the deaf community).

Well the phone is pretty much dying as a technology. You CAN survive without a phone. Heck, you can use RELAY!!! It would be different if there was no other alternative, but there are tons of alternatives to the telephone.

It depends where you live, when you want to call someone and who that someone is. I can call my friends on Skype and video-call them in BSL with text side-notes for signs we don't know (we are neither of us first language signers). I can SMS text my husband.

No, the problem comes for me with businesses. They have online web forms where you have to fill in a telephone number. There is no space to write anything but a number, and it will only accept an 11-digit number that starts with a zero (standard format of UK phone number) so it's no good putting in Skype numbers or relay information, you cannot physically do that as it starts with a 1 and has too many digits. There is no way to contact the company to tell them this because what you are filling in is already a "contact us" form! The number of times I have had things like not receiving a delivery because they called to say they were coming and I didn't respond (cos it was an obviously fake number I put there to fill the compulsory box!) or because the phone number was missing. Some forms are not so carefully constructed, so you can write "I am deaf, email me" in them, but you still get companies that leave you sat waiting for a parcel for 3 weeks then you email them to find out what happened and get told they didn't come because you didn't give a phone number.

People who want to call you and have a vested interest in doing so will bother to find technologies that make it possible. People who are sat in a call centre with a list of calls to make don't specially care if they don't get you, and many of them physically do not have another technology there on their desk to attempt to contact you with, they are hired to make phone calls.

Then there is the shortage of relay operators at certain times. If you are in synch with everyone else then great, but if you have relatives and friends elsewhere in the world and you want to make a call at 2am then you can sit for hours for a relay assistant.

Even if VOIP calls became more common with businesses, there is still plenty of my own country with no broadband and no cellphone coverage. Phone may be a dying technology, but it needs to start dying faster and it needs to be replaced with a single, universal replacement that >90% of people have access to, not patchy bits and pieces.

As with many things in life it depends. From my experience I see the d/Deaf culture as a diverse one. Really not much different in that regard than other cultures. With that said you will have some very hard core people that may outcast a CI users and you will have many that really don't care one way or another. As time goes on it does appear that the CI is more acceptable. It is when you are talking about implanting babies where there is still a lot of controversy. At least that is my opinion based on what I have experienced.

Everyone,
Thank you for your response. These posts have given me an insight on the CI controversy that I can appreciate.
Kristina

Even if the person had a CI and their hearing was completely restored, I don't think they would become any less a part of the deaf community unless they chose to stop using sign languange and instead preferred to mix with the hearing communities, given a choice.

This is like asking "Are CODA's a part of the deaf community" - if they use sign language and mix in the deaf community, then they are still a part of that community.

As with many things in life it depends. From my experience I see the d/Deaf culture as a diverse one. Really not much different in that regard than other cultures. With that said you will have some very hard core people that may outcast a CI users and you will have many that really don't care one way or another. As time goes on it does appear that the CI is more acceptable. It is when you are talking about implanting babies where there is still a lot of controversy. At least that is my opinion based on what I have experienced.

Your viewpoint is interesting, and reveals a cultural viewpoint.

From my deaf viewpoint, CI allways have been accepted in the deaf community, depedent on what definition one use. It's how it has been described by hearing people and how has been expected to work according to the medical community that has changed. More hearing people are now realizing the limits of CI, and understand better what the average deaf person allways have tried to tell them.

Unfortunately, CI's been around for 30 years with the medical community and a lot of parents still stumbling in the dark, resorting to new inventions like "technological improvement" and "informed choices", but it's brighter than before.

C.i

ONE is still deaf, Cochlear Implant is NOT , IS NOT a BODILY FUNCTION its an Implant, if it breaks down, or switch off, you are still Deaf, nothing changes facts 1 is Deaf........

Take the guy who claimed Dla I think its called, he took off his C.I went to hearing asked for speech to text, as he is Deaf....So why should people who still Deaf without C.I seperate from people with C.I, I will carry on signing....

At the deaf social I went to with Jiro and TheWriteAlex, there were so many CI users there. They were still very much a part of the Deaf community.

I will continue to come on the website and chat....but Im still learning how to work the functions....:lol: Im slow at figuring it out. Its sad. :laugh2:

Oh, good, good, my apologies and welcome to this wonderful world of Alldeaf. :lol:

I am surprised to see that most people either disagree or strongly disagree. This contradicts everything that I have heard. I am happy to know that a person will not be ignored only because they receive the cochlear implant. I believe it depends on how the person who had the surgery responds to the community. If the person treats friends differently than yes there may be problems, but if the person is active in a positive way then the community should be accepting. I know as a hearing person my view may be different but I think it is wonderful to be able to hear from people who live this life. Thank you again.

My opinion is that you can't fully be deaf unless you live in it. Any exposure of hearing of some sort make you different from people who never had any exposure of hearing.

Last edited:
My opinion is that you can't fully be deaf unless you live in it. Any exposure of hearing of some sort make you different from people who never had any exposure of hearing.

So any hearing aid or CI user isn't really Deaf?

I marked "strongly disagree". I think it is about language, culture, beliefs, and perspective, not about what you wear on your ear.

Back