Church's 'Scumbags Welcome' Message Irks Some

rockin'robin

Reaction score
ORLANDO, Fla. -- A central Florida church has irked some people -- and attracted others -- with its highway billboard proclaiming: "Scumbags Welcome!"

Pastor Moses Robbins said he hoped it would bring new people to his Saturday Night Live Church in Tavares. The church is named for its Saturday night services featuring a live rock band, not for the satirical TV show.

He's been deluged with calls, split equally between supporters who like the alternative style and critics who are offended by his choice of words.

But Robbins said some people have misinterpreted the message. He said he's not belittling anyone, but rather, trying to adopt Jesus' welcoming attitude toward sinners and all.

The billboard contract expires in five months. Robbins said he hopes to replace it with an even bolder message.

Church's 'Scumbags Welcome' Message Irks Some - Jacksonville News Story - WJXT Jacksonville

I'm bothered more by his so-called services on Saturday night.

Why? Just because they're on Saturday nights, or because of the rock music?

Who likes being called a scumbag? It would seem he is inviting vandalism.

My son likes religious rock (some of it)...goes to "Youth Quake" and concerts here and there. Good kids. Whatever reaches the kids, there's no drinking, drugs, fighting etc., good environment. Parents go too if they wish.

Anybody can be called a "scumbag"....for whatever reasons can be thought of.

Why do they bother you? I don't see where Christians are barred from worshiping on Saturday night or through rock music. There's a lot of successful churches are are Biblically sound that offer services on Saturday night and also have a youth oriented worship service that plays contemporary Christian rock.

I see the guy's creative genius in grabbing the attention of people that may have not attended or even bothered otherwise.

Why do they bother you? I don't see where Christians are barred from worshiping on Saturday night or through rock music. There's a lot of successful churches are are Biblically sound that offer services on Saturday night and also have a youth oriented worship service that plays contemporary Christian rock.

I see the guy's creative genius in grabbing the attention of people that may have not attended or even bothered otherwise.
The Bible says that Christians are supposed to meet together for worship every Sunday in remembrance of the day of Christ's resurrection. They can, and should, meet even more frequently than just Sunday morning but Sunday is the primary day set aside for corporate worship.

Why are churches copying the ways of the world? Christians are supposed to be salt and light to the world, not cheap imitations of the world.

Do the same people who attend the Saturday night rock concert get up Sunday morning and attend worship services at that church?

What is your definition of a "successful" Christian church? Did Christ call His churches to be "successful?"

Rock music is not compatible to the worship of the Lord and Savior of Christians. A Christian church can't be both Biblically sound and promoting rock music. Those two things are diametrically opposed to each other.

That's got me scratching my head a bit too. I mean, if it bothers you, it bothers you, I'm not asking you to defend why. I just don't see what the problem would be.

Catholic churches have had Saturday night Mass for a long time, far as I know. I don't think it's controversial for them.

There's a Presbyterian church near us, on one of the side streets that leads into our development, that has services of some sort on Saturday night. They don't have a large parking lot so there are cars lining the street for quite a ways.

They cater to an Hispanic population, I think. I don't know what the difference is between their Saturday night services vs. Sunday, but I see a lot of young families going.

Plenty of worse places people could be on Saturday nights.

Edited to add: by the time I was writing this you answered what your objections are.

The Bible says that Christians are supposed to meet together for worship every Sunday in remembrance of the day of Christ's resurrection. They can, and should, meet even more frequently than just Sunday morning but Sunday is the primary day set aside for corporate worship.

Why are churches copying the ways of the world? Christians are supposed to be salt and light to the world, not cheap imitations of the world.

Do the same people who attend the Saturday night rock concert get up Sunday morning and attend worship services at that church?

What is your definition of a "successful" Christian church? Did Christ call His churches to be "successful?"

Rock music is not compatible to the worship of the Lord and Savior of Christians. A Christian church can't be both Biblically sound and promoting rock music. Those two things are diametrically opposed to each other.

Christmas Day isn't compatible to the worship of the Lord and Savior of Christians either. It started out as a Pagan holiday, just so that you know.

Where do you get this from? Most of the stuff I listen to is not anti-Christian or that sort of thing. You seem to be generalizing "rock music" as bad or at least anti-Christian when a lot of it is not. Is it not compatible if someone sings about loss in a blues song? :dunno:

That's got me scratching my head a bit too. I mean, if it bothers you, it bothers you, I'm not asking you to defend why. I just don't see what the problem would be.

Catholic churches have had Saturday night Mass for a long time, far as I know. I don't think it's controversial for them.
I'm not a Catholic.

There's a Presbyterian church near us, on one of the side streets that leads into our development, that has services of some sort on Saturday night. They don't have a large parking lot so there are cars lining the street for quite a ways.
I have no idea what they're doing, so I can't comment on that one way or the other.

They cater to an Hispanic population, I think.
I don't understand the relevance of that to my post. :dunno:

[quote}I don't know what the difference is between their Saturday night services vs. Sunday, but I see a lot of young families going.[/quote]
I don't know the difference, if there is any, in your example because you didn't say what they do inside. They could be fellowshipping on Saturday and still having their regular worship service on Sunday. :dunno:

[quote}Plenty of worse places people could be on Saturday nights.[/quote]
It all depends on what they're doing, not where it's happening.

Where do you get this from? Most of the stuff I listen to is not anti-Christian or that sort of thing. You seem to be generalizing "rock music" as bad or at least anti-Christian when a lot of it is not. Is it not compatible if someone sings about loss in a blues song? :dunno:
There are songs that are meant for worshiping the Lord, and songs that are not. That doesn't mean all other songs are evil. But rock music and Christian music do not go together at all. Just changing the words to a rock song doesn't make it a Christian song.

There are songs that are meant for worshiping the Lord, and songs that are not. That doesn't mean all other songs are evil. But rock music and Christian music do not go together at all. Just changing the words to a rock song doesn't make it a Christian song.
That is pretty black and white.

So it is entirely inappropriate to try to reach those who might not otherwise be reached through music you don't feel is Christian?

Back