Christmas... ahhhhhh!!

Jakey

Reaction score
No I'm not Scrooge just dreading Christmas

Well actually I'm dreading the large family gathering... lots of people talking over each other, background noise/music, lots of noises but none of it meaningful, speech completely indistinguishable.... ahhhhhhh!!

I've a severe hearing loss and I'm dreading the communication side of Christmas - don't get me wrong I'm as excitable as a little kid when it comes to Christmas but I'm dreading the communication problems there will be! I don't wana be left out and miss out on all the conversation. The thought of trying to make out all the conversation through the background noise is terrifying!

How do you guys handle large gatherings??

Well actually I'm dreading the large family gathering... lots of people talking over each other, background noise/music, lots of noises but none of it meaningful, speech completely indistinguishable.... ahhhhhhh!!

I've a severe hearing loss and I'm dreading the communication side of Christmas - don't get me wrong I'm as excitable as a little kid when it comes to Christmas but I'm dreading the communication problems there will be! I don't wana be left out and miss out on all the conversation. The thought of trying to make out all the conversation through the background noise is terrifying!

I talk to people one on one and ignore people trying to shout at me through the noise. I either sit and watch and talk to someone close or find a quiet spot and let people come and sit and talk one at a time. No point stressing over what I cannot do and if anyone can't be bothered then that's fine but don't try and make me strain to lipread.

Merry Christmas! :)

Me enjoying Christmas depends on lots of things. Most of time I don't enjoy it cos being forced to sit down middle of group chat/talk. It impossible for me to follow. I always try to escape as soon as possible to different room to watch TV or read book alone. I much prefer that during Christmas than being in room full of people chatting about whatever. And no one can sign at all so means I have to do ALL the work, they don't. Xmas suppose be relaxing but for me it hardest day of year.

When I was kid I always look forward to Christmas morning opening my stocking presents in my bed while everyone sleep, for me that best part of Christmas day, so peaceful and fab little presents to open.

cheers guys

Just really nervous I guess. I'm used to being the loud, sociable one who likes to be involved in all the conversation and know what's going on but from what you guys have said if I try do that I'll struggle and end up frustrated??

Jakey: contingent on "severe your Hearing loss( Profound?)" is and how long and both ears?-react best that you can-"hearing wise". From Cdn Hearing Society classes- one be assertive and accept whatever knowing you have done all you can do-under the circumstances.
Good luck in the upcoming family Christmas gatherings.

cheers guys

Just really nervous I guess. I'm used to being the loud, sociable one who likes to be involved in all the conversation and know what's going on but from what you guys have said if I try do that I'll struggle and end up frustrated??

Nothing is stopping you being sociable, just work it your way, don't get dragged into group discussions. :)

I was SO excited for it to be just 7 of us down while visiting my grandparents and aunt and uncle in Arizona..well lol I thought wrong hahah cuz there is gonna be 25 ppl!!!! I may just sneak out a one point like usual and hide in a bedroom somewhere cuz theres no way I can handle that for 4+hours! Not to mention its all older ppl cuz my grandparents live in a 50+ community ..but my grandparents are one of the youngest at 66 years old and many of them cant hear either..feel like there may be alot of yelling going on tomorrow lol fml

cheers guys

You will be fine. Keep telling yourself that. You will be with people you love and who love you.

I tend to do like Simon mentioned, talk with people one on one where possible. At dinner I talk to the person next to me and ignore conversations at the other end of the table.

For this year, it's just my husband and me and our two dogs, so conversation isn't really a problem.

Just relax and take it step by step, and do what seems comfortable. Let people know, if they don't already, that you don't hear well and that they need to get your attention to talk with you. Say it with a smile, and they will know you are still part of the group.

Talking at Christmas

Hey Jakey,

I just had my first Christmas in total silence. I lost all of my hearing:angel: 7 months ago. I cant use hearingnaids either. My family uses a white board and will write the topic there talking about. It helps for me to,follow just a little bit. Today there were only 14 people, tomorrow there will be close to 40. I did get stressed today being told your speaking too loud. Then too soft. Plus I never know when I can talk without talking over someone. So, tomorrow, I think I may hide in the back room for a while. Give my brain a rest. This is the first time all my relatives have seen me since I was sick and lost my hearing. Good luck to you. I think if your getting a little stressed just walk away for a few minutes. Trying to read lips can give you a headache. :angel:

I had 2 different Christmas parties. No one was fluent with ASL. My girlfriend tries very hard, but she isn't fluent yet. She wants to be fluent so that she can interpret for me. She always ask---- do you feel included? She tries hard. She is getting better at ASL.

Family gatherings are the best(!) I usually just text my friends or use facebook on my phone since my family members know I won't be able to follow all the conversations, so I will talk to one person at a time if they want to speak to me.

Back