Children of a Lesser God

I just want to say...it makes me giggle that nobody has spelled Marlee Matlin's name right yet in this thread. :lol:

haha someone finally noticed! Marlee Matian, Marleen Matlin, Marlee Martlin... MAR-LEE MAT-LIN. have some deaf pride people, lol. (jk! :dunno2: )

haha someone finally noticed! Marlee Matian, Marleen Matlin, Marlee Martlin... MAR-LEE MAT-LIN. have some deaf pride people, lol. (jk! :dunno2: )

I was going to say something ... then decided not to stick my spoon in yet another pot lol

...ohh darn, I guess in posting, I'm stirring again aren't I **shakes head** lol

What I found funniest was AquaBlue. (No offense, it could have been anyone!) He just adopted whatever spelling people had used right before him. :)

Matian was only nineteen years of age when she performed in that movie. What a talent!

Martlin was only nineteen when she made her acting debut, not counting the stage production, in Children of a Lesser God.

I've seen it once, but sadly I didn't watch the whole movie because I fell asleep. I was too tired

A family member of mine was in this movie...I met the cast and actors way back then In Canada when filming.Had a great time but I was a young teen then.Met William Hurt,Marlee and all the others.A great experience...the movie was pretty good back then but when I watch it today,I doze off...
:dunno2:

:giggle:

I love that movie haha i actually just asked for it for christmas!! but its hard to track down because most people dont know sign :/

It's one of those movie that people play frequently on TV. I think I seen it several times on TV.

I am not sure I care too much as the main character is focused on what a hearing person want out of deaf people.

I've never seen it - I will be getting it from the library soon. All the places I looked for it, no one had it, but I never checked Barnes & Noble. Brainless me I guess.

I wouldn't necessarily expect it to be in every store, because it's an old movie. But it's easily available online.

One thing I like about it is that they don't give Marlee's character voiceovers or subtitles. The way they do it is by having Bill Hurt's character repeat what she says back to her. That probably doesn't sound good, but they way they did it is good.

MM signs: Well you're a damn idiot!
Hurt sim-coms: Oh you think I'm a damn idiot do you? Well I think you're a jerk!

I like it better than if they tried to directly translate Marlee's lines into English with a voiceover or subtitles. Having him restate what she says feels more natural and allows the ASL to stand proud, IMO.

Loved this old movie...I had the video....somebody "borrowed it and never returned it.

I like it better than if they tried to directly translate Marlee's lines into English with a voiceover or subtitles. Having him restate what she says feels more natural and allows the ASL to stand proud, IMO.

Interesting. That's actually my biggest gripe with the movie. I don't like how her "voice" in the story is controlled by the hearing guy. Not only is it unrealistic (does anybody repeat back what someone is signing to them 100% of the time? it's like he's a crazy person talking to himself), but for me it is also kind of emblematic of how the hearing are always taking control of Deaf people and telling them what to do.

I do like the movie though. It's well made and is a good story with great acting. I just have some issues with it.

Saw the movie with my daughter when it first came out. Own it on DVD now.

To me the most salient feature of the movie is that it was a breakthrough movie. It was a major movie staring an actress who was not hearing and who actually knew ASL. It gave hearing people an insight into Deaf World and its relationship to their world.

Its not perfect but I know enough about Hollywood to wonder how anything decent ever gets made there.

What it accomplished far outweighs any imperfections as far as I'm concerned.

Interesting. That's actually my biggest gripe with the movie. I don't like how her "voice" in the story is controlled by the hearing guy. Not only is it unrealistic (does anybody repeat back what someone is signing to them 100% of the time? it's like he's a crazy person talking to himself), but for me it is also kind of emblematic of how the hearing are always taking control of Deaf people and telling them what to do.

I do like the movie though. It's well made and is a good story with great acting. I just have some issues with it.

That's an excellent point! I just don't like when they use subtitles or voiceover for Deaf characters, and I thought their approach was unique. I guess I'd prefer subtitles to voiceover though.

Interesting. That's actually my biggest gripe with the movie. I don't like how her "voice" in the story is controlled by the hearing guy.

One thing I like about it is that they don't give Marlee's character voiceovers or subtitles. The way they do it is by having Bill Hurt's character repeat what she says back to her. That probably doesn't sound good, but they way they did it is good.

I know in another movie of Marlee Matlin's, Sweet Nothing in My Ear, they had a hearing woman do the voiceover for MM's signing. Is that the kind of thing you think they should have done, Alex?

I know in another movie of Marlee Matlin's, Sweet Nothing in My Ear, they had a hearing woman do the voiceover for MM's signing. Is that the kind of thing you think they should have done, Alex?

Well, that would be good for hearies I guess, but I would just prefer to have it subtitled. Either of them are better than having her words repeated back through the perception of the hearing man.

I think the best thing would be to have the script written in such a way that the signing is not even subtitled or voiced over, and what the signer says is implied through actions and context and translators. This is the case with "The Heart is a Lonely Hunter" and "Mr. Holland's Opus." Such a medium is difficult to pull off, and it often relegates the signing character to a less verbal role in the movie. That can be used to advantage, depending on the context.

Well, that would be good for hearies I guess, but I would just prefer to have it subtitled. Either of them are better than having her words repeated back through the perception of the hearing man.

I think the best thing would be to have the script written in such a way that the signing is not even subtitled or voiced over, and what the signer says is implied through actions and context and translators. This is the case with "The Heart is a Lonely Hunter" and "Mr. Holland's Opus." Such a medium is difficult to pull off, and it often relegates the signing character to a less verbal role in the movie. That can be used to advantage, depending on the context.

Oh I see what you mean. Maybe they did the repeating back and forth when Marlee Matlin's lines were too long for non-signers to gleam from context. Good point about the subtitles. Forgot about that option, being blind and all. :giggle:

Has anyone heard of or seen this movie? I haven't seen it yet but I want to get other opinions on it.

you may find at fry's or walmart or target or any dvd movie store or website.
you can find that movie with closed captioned, the children of a lesser god. it was awesome movie, marlee did a great job and received an academy award. hope you can find and buy. good luck:wave::cool2::D

Back