Children calling their parents

I, at nearly 25, still call my parents Mummy and Daddy (when talking to them)- I CANNOT bring myself to say Mum/Dad as, for me, that's for other people and their parents- not me. I'll call them Mum and Dad when I'm talking about them to other people- eg, this is my mum, you'd better talk to my dad about that, etc.

However, I also call them by their first names. More with my dad as sometimes he doesn't notice I'm talking to him otherwise, and sometimes to my mum when we're playing around/chatting- eg if she says 'I should go shopping but I don't want to!' then pouts, I'll jokingly call her by her name. I also call my mum 'Mother', usually in front of other people when I'm too embarrassed to say Mummy...but she doesn't like that very much.

They don't call me anything except Melissa (my dad tried Milly-Melly once but that didn't go down well....).

one of my grandparents likes being by his first name by the teens and by my half brothers who are under 10 he is called granddad

My daughter isnt old enough to talk yet but I cant wait to hear the first "mommy" come out of her mouth. I have always and will always call my mother "mom". It just seems too impersonal not to.

My son just signed "Mother" for mom like mouthing the word. He only signed with me when we were at home, not out in public. I was a single Deaf mother with a hearing son who is willing to sign to me at home. Now we live far apart on the map. He is in Albuquerque, New Mexico and I am up here in Canada. When I came down to visit my sister and my son and their families, my son signed to me out in public and that was a first. He signed "Mom" (Mother). WOW! :shock:

My son just signed "Mother" for mom like mouthing the word. He only signed with me when we were at home, not out in public. I was a single Deaf mother with a hearing son who is willing to sign to me at home. Now we live far apart on the map. He is in Albuquerque, New Mexico and I am up here in Canada. When I came down to visit my sister and my son and their families, my son signed to me out in public and that was a first. He signed "Mom" (Mother). WOW! :shock:

There's a first time for everything I guess.... that sure was a big moment for you!!!!! :D

Wondering: how did you communicate with your son while out in public when he was younger? Did he just talk to you and you were reading lips? If so, which way did you communicate back to him?

There's a first time for everything I guess.... that sure was a big moment for you!!!!! :D

Wondering: how did you communicate with your son while out in public when he was younger? Did he just talk to you and you were reading lips? If so, which way did you communicate back to him?

I have tried to communicated with him with signs but he refused to used signing in public because he might have been teased or heard someone remarked badly about our signing together. So he stopped signing in public. Yes, I read his lips but I signed with him sometimes without thinking while he used his voice to communicate with me.

Beside, I have funny voice and loud so that is the reason why I prefer to sign better than voice. Also I might have mispronounced a word or two wrong. My son has problem speaking the right pronounced words as I did not know he had been copied me when I voice the wrong way. :ugh:

As a CODA, it must be hard on hearing child when hearing people don't understand why he or she had to communicate with his or her mother or father. It is like the same thing where their English speaking children can communicate speaking Spanish with their parents but speak English at school or be around friends and strangers. I don't know if other children ever make fun of the Mexican or Spanish child or children who communicated non-speaking English parents that way. It is exactly the same thing and I don't know why he should not have to listen or stopped just because of some ignorance people and rude people. It just made me sad and I had let it go at that time. :(

Ive always called my parents mom and dad, never by their names, but I have to admit in arguments with my dad after he has called me a bitch, dyke, what have you not, I usually call him anything from asshole to lard ass and shit head. Oh don't you just love the closeness in our family? :lol:

I have always called my parents mum/dad, even when I was younger.

I refer my mum as mum most days and sometimes by her name since we live with foster children.

My mother now does not respond to "mom" or "Grandma" very often, so we have to use her name.

I still call my mom either mom or momma... and my daddy was my daddy up to the day he died-- and I still say that in reference to him-- if I want something I'll say 'mommmmmy' LOL and I only used her name in public-- IF I were looking for her-- say in the store-- b/c you yell MOM and 20 women look around... you yell "Debbie" and better chance of finding my mom quickly...

Right now Adam calls me "mom-me" or when I pull into school he yells "there it is!!" so he calls me It I guess??? LOL But I don't want him to refer to me by my name-- unless we are in a situation where hollering my name would make it easier to find me if he got away-- ya know??

I learned to distinguish the word 'mommy' reaaaaalllly fast with my CI.

My two boys took on the stewie complex. 'Mom, mommy, momma, mommy, mommy, mom, momma, mom, mommy!' 'What?!' 'HI!' :lol:

I love em!

It was absolutely awesome to hear my sons after 10 years (never heard them). They both went into the room with me when the CI was activated. 'Mommy, can you hear me?' was the first thing I heard. I will carry that with me for the rest of my life.

That being said I don't care what they call me! Or how they do it. :lol:

I still call my mom either mom or momma... and my daddy was my daddy up to the day he died-- and I still say that in reference to him-- if I want something I'll say 'mommmmmy' LOL and I only used her name in public-- IF I were looking for her-- say in the store-- b/c you yell MOM and 20 women look around... you yell "Debbie" and better chance of finding my mom quickly...

Right now Adam calls me "mom-me" or when I pull into school he yells "there it is!!" so he calls me It I guess??? LOL But I don't want him to refer to me by my name-- unless we are in a situation where hollering my name would make it easier to find me if he got away-- ya know??

Does Adam know your name? I noticed than many kids (at young age and I'd say until 5 years) don't know their parents' names... They were just mummy and daddy :wave:

I can't tell when I learnt my parents' name but I know it was pretty early ;) As well as my street name, phone number, etc. :cool2:

I learned to distinguish the word 'mommy' reaaaaalllly fast with my CI.

My two boys took on the stewie complex. 'Mom, mommy, momma, mommy, mommy, mom, momma, mom, mommy!' 'What?!' 'HI!' :lol:

I love em!

It was absolutely awesome to hear my sons after 10 years (never heard them). They both went into the room with me when the CI was activated. 'Mommy, can you hear me?' was the first thing I heard. I will carry that with me for the rest of my life.

That being said I don't care what they call me! Or how they do it. :lol:

Oh I bet it was!!!!!!! That sure is a great memory to keep safe in your mind and heart :)

Does Adam know your name? I noticed than many kids (at young age and I'd say until 5 years) don't know their parents' names... They were just mummy and daddy :wave:

I can't tell when I learnt my parents' name but I know it was pretty early ;) As well as my street name, phone number, etc. :cool2:

Hoenstly if he did, I don't think he could say it... shoot hearing people w/no speech problem mess it up all the time :roll: so I don't think I have to worry about it for the time being... but places like school, drs office, etc they always refer to me as 'mom' or 'mommy' so he probably doesn't... I knew my parents names early on as well--

I called my mom "Mami" and my father "Papi". We're Hispanic. My mother did not know English so I always spoke Spanish with her. My father I refer to as Dad to others but when I call him it's always Papi.

My son can say "mamamamama" but that's about it. I hope he'll call me Mami like i called my mom. As for the grandparents, my grandparents are called abuelo and abuela but Phillip (my son's father) they are called Nana and Pap pap. More like Pap Pap Rogers, Pap Pap Perez...etc.

My brother and I call each other "Tata" instead of each others name. I remember calling him by his name once and he blew up. So I just stuck with Tata. ^_^

I don't might if some parents choose to have their children call them by their first name. Personally, I would love to be called Mami or mom. To each their own <3

Back