Child Access to the Hearing World

What do you think about childhood exposure to the hearing world for a CODA?

• I am a Deaf adult and my hearing child is exposed to the hearing world (oral education).

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • I am a Deaf adult and my hearing child is not exposed to the hearing world.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am a Deaf adult and my (future) child will be exposed to the hearing world (oral education).

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • I am a Deaf adult and my (future) child will not be exposed to the hearing world.

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
many deaf people from deaf culture do expose their children in the hearing world. In fact, their hearing children usually interpret what hearing people are saying to to their deaf parents sometime (kinda like kids raised in U.S. interpret english to their spanish speaking parents for them).

My grandma's sis and her husband are culturally deaf (and grew up in a residential deaf and blind school) have two hearing children. They did not prevent them from being exposed to the hearing world. Instead they encourage them to be bilangual (know both ASL and spoken).

I don't know any who were completely 100% sheltered unless their parents are mentally mess up and lock them in their room or something.

our culture IS better though :P

Last edited:
I was checking the results, and i'm glad to see op 1 is winning.
The fact that someone might consider not to expose their hearing child to the hearing world, is not wise.
Either you're deaf or hearing.
That idea is the reason of the status quo ideology regarding the deaf culture in the world.
(i.e. hearing parents not exposing their deaf children to deaf culture)

I do know of one deaf family who had at least one hearing child in a large family of deaf kids. This hearing child was forced to attend deaf schools and even university. I say force because apparently the child had no choice and how they managed to get away with this is beyond me. This person is an interpreter. She said her father didn't want her to be part of the hearing world. I guess back in the day (the dark ages!!) people do get away with things like this. This person is an interpreter and she is hearing!

how can one be an interpreter and not be exposed to spoken language? Either he have access to spoken language or he doesn't. It doesn't matter if he goes to a deaf school or not . they will teach him reading and such anyway... I don't think public school teach hearing people how to speak. It's just something they naturally pick up.

As someone that is just now discovering my hearing issues and the Deaf world, I opted not to vote, but my thoughts are that keeping someone out of the hearing world that can hear would be nearly impossible. Unless you live way out in the country or on some kind of d/Deaf commune. The simplest things like going to the store, the bank, the doctor… all of these would be exposure. As Peanut pointed out, I could see a family refusing to allow speech in the home, and force the kid to go to a School for the d/Deaf, but I really wouldn’t say that is keeping them from the hearing world. My understanding is that most CODA’s in a solid signing family grow up with ASL as the primary language and then learn English as a secondary language. To me, I would view the enrolling of a kid from an all ASL family in a school for the d/Deaf would be a benefit to the child since he or she would be among kids that “speak her language”. The child would not have to fight the language barrier at the same time as learning what the teacher has to teach for that day. Most schools around here go with the view that the child already has a foundation of spoken English (or in some cases at least spoken Spanish), perhaps it is just the area I live in. As for the forcing her to go to college at a ASL school, I would look at the young adult at that point, when deciding what school to go to, if she wanted to go to a mainstream school, I do not see how she could have been FORCED.. I bet she had a good understanding of English at this stage, and for sure she does as an adult. Without it, how could she become a terp? If a hearing kid is raised here in the USA, she or he will pickup English, with or without the help of the parent. It happens to foreign speaking families as well, at home it is all French/Spanish/whatever, but they pickup English from common interactions.

some deaf parents would rather send their hearing kids to a deaf school because the teacher/parent communication is better. I have to deal with bad communication with our son's school. I would love to see more school combined CODA (or child of blind adult) and deaf/blind

Id love that if it does exist. i would be happy to send my hearing kids to deaf school. so school would be expanding with everything for better. It can be for deaf kiddos and coda kiddos schools. :D

It is possible. All one have to do is start a private school. Just like prep private, or christian private, etc. We would need both CODA teachers and Deaf teachers.

Oh yeah It would be more benefit for CODA to understand each other better due to two languages. Keep dreaming ha.

Back