Child Access to the Hearing World

What do you think about childhood exposure to the hearing world for a CODA?

• I am a Deaf adult and my hearing child is exposed to the hearing world (oral education).

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • I am a Deaf adult and my hearing child is not exposed to the hearing world.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am a Deaf adult and my (future) child will be exposed to the hearing world (oral education).

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • I am a Deaf adult and my (future) child will not be exposed to the hearing world.

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thanx2gezus

Reaction score
:hmm: I'm curious as to what those of you that are Deaf think about CODA exposure to the hearing world. I'd appreciate your participation.

Well as a person who has two CODA's of my very own, of course they are exposed to the hearing world the moment they are born.

They will later see TV with sound, go to school, play at hearing friends house.

What perspective could there be other than it is a given that they are hearing and will mostly live as hearing?

Please be patient with me. I'm trying to prove something about Deaf culture to someone I know. Thank you.

I am late-deafened and was hoh since birth. My son is hoh and daughter is not. They have both been raised in the hearing world and are only now becoming used the the deaf world due to my hearing loss.

Both of my hearing kids are exposed to both. I am very involved with the Deaf community and know hundreds of people in the community. I have yet met a family who has never exposed their hearing children to the hearing world. Many of us knows it is common sense.

I prefer our hearing son to be bilingual but right now he know only spoken English. And I make sure he take speech therapy too because he belong in the hearing world anyway.

If I had the option, I would send my deaf son to the Deaf school because he is very bilingual and a visual learner.

I think my son was exposed to the hearing world as a baby and growing up but he is exposed to me as he had difficult with his speech as he was copying my speech wrong and I did not know it. He signed a lot with me but I used speech with him to talk as he is hearing. In school he had to be corrected with his speech. He is very much into the hearing world now that he is full adult (over 30 years old).

:wave:
I'm not deaf, but i'll still vote in a simbolic way, so you can catch my thinking...
If i'd had a deaf son, my (future) child will be exposed to the Deaf world (SL education).

Eventually, they'd learn to write and read.

I'm not deaf, but i'll still vote in a simbolic way, so you can catch my thinking...
If i'd had a deaf son, my (future) child will be exposed to the Deaf world (SL education).

Eventually, they'd learn to write and read.

You missed the topic.

I think my son was exposed to the hearing world as a baby and growing up but he is exposed to me as he had difficult with his speech as he was copying my speech wrong and I did not know it. He signed a lot with me but I used speech with him to talk as he is hearing. In school he had to be corrected with his speech. He is very much into the hearing world now that he is full adult (over 30 years old).

My son done the same thing. Which I felt I confused him too much with my speech. I should left the spoken language to the hearing people, and Sign language to me.

I don't think I could vote. First of all, I am deaf adult who don't have a choice at the moment because I was raised in a hearing world. edited: I decided to vote anyway, because hearing children are going to be exposed to the hearing world anyhow.

Please be patient with me. I'm trying to prove something about Deaf culture to someone I know. Thank you.

Just curious, are you trying to prove that we would willingly deafen our hearing children?

Because if you hear, you can't just stop and the same goes for seeing.

i missed the topic?
would you care to explain me then, please? :)

The original poster was asking how deaf parents would raise their hearing child. She wanted to know if deaf parent would exposed their hearing children to the hearing world and spoken language.

Or would deaf parents shelter their hearing children to the deaf world with only Sign Language as their only communication.

I think she is trying to prove a point to someone about deaf parents with hearing children. Right now, she wasn't asking how a hearing parent would raise their deaf children.

The original poster was asking how deaf parents would raise their hearing child. She wanted to know if deaf parent would exposed their hearing children to the hearing world and spoken language.

Or would deaf parents shelter their hearing children to the deaf world with only Sign Language as their only communication.

I think she is trying to prove a point to someone about deaf parents with hearing children. Right now, she wasn't asking how a hearing parent would raise their deaf children.

oh..! thanks lighthouse
then i got it right. i just... didnt make myself clear :cool2:

I wanted to imply that my decission as father, would be to rise my children as hearing if its the case, or deaf if its the case.
I assume either im a deaf or hearing parent, that would be the way to go...:hmm:

Yes, thank you Lighthouse! The person I'm speaking of, said that Deaf (in the Deaf culture) people hold to the belief/ideal that their culture is better and so keep their hearing children from (avoidable aspects of) the hearing world (e.g. exposure to speech and oral education). I'm polling to establish the true beliefs of the Deaf population as far as this topic goes.

Back