ChicagoBlue...Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I understand, a burned body in a crime scene can take weeks to officially identify. I hope this is not the case.

I know dental records are used but everything was burned in the fire so that could made it harder to find who Mark's dentist was . We'll have to wait and see what the investigation findings are. This is all so hard to take in .
RIP Mark

I just got in to learn about the tragedy of the fire at the apartment. My condolence to his family out of town and friends that he shared with in the other apartment before he moved out to his new apartment. That is really terrible. I hate that when someone died. Rest In Peace, Mark.

Remember we had another AD member who died in her own apartment, too. I forget her name as it was a long time since she passed. :(

Lucia

I read they are treating it as a possible crime scene.......

Yeah, you are right. Only question is why they said that it was caused by the Space Heater? What if it is just an accident when the space heater caused the fire? Mark was not suicidal. I don't believe that.

Well, if the maintenance man did not heed the tenants' complains about the smoke alarms or something that is not fixing right. Then the landlord might be responsible for the fire. Yes, it need to be investigate on how the fire was started. :(

This is a HUGE shock but sadly the story is true. Derek went to Mark's apartment and it is basically gone. The fire started on Mark's floor apparently by a space heater. I've contacted their local police and news department but have not received a reply yet.

This is why Mark has not been posting.

I talked to Mark the night before this happened. He said he needed a friend to talk to so I PM'd him and we talked. I was lucky and had the chance to meet him and I found him to be an incredibly nice, loving, compassionate person.

R.I.P. my good friend.

nowadays - a space heater has a safety feature that if it's tilted or not laid flat on the surface.... the heat will be disabled and it will sound an alarm - a very noisy buzzing sound. but... I do not know if all space heaters are equipped with that safety feature.

RIP Mark....

Yeah, you are right. Only question is why they said that it was caused by the Space Heater? What if it is just an accident when the space heater caused the fire? Mark was not suicidal. I don't believe that.

Well, if the maintenance man did not heed the tenants' complains about the smoke alarms or something that is not fixing right. Then the landlord might be responsible for the fire. Yes, it need to be investigate on how the fire was started. :(

You might be right but first things first.

after checking dozens of different space heaters from amazon including cheapest one... they are all equipped with "tip-over protection" and "automatic safety shut-off system".

this is horrible.... 2 ADers have died from lack of proper fire safety equipment for deaf. very very upsetting....

I wonder if the fire & police department and FBI will realize that Mark was deaf and if there may not had been any alarms in the apartment to give Mark any time to get out of the building . This sure would be a crime .

nowadays - a space heater has a safety feature that if it's tilted or not laid flat on the surface.... the heat will be disabled and it will sound an alarm - a very noisy buzzing sound. but... I do not know if all space heaters are equipped with that safety feature.

RIP Mark....

There is not anything loud buzzy enough for me to hear it -_- that wouldn't help me, at all.

My hearing aids don't work for me anymore, but when they DID one of the first things I noticed about digitals was they actually block out the sound of a smoke detector, and the fire alarms they have in public places, but those usually have flashing lights at least.

We have a house alarm but I still don't have anything that will alert me when I don't have my CI in. Sadly this is a huge reminder to get this taken care of. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Has anyone that has photos of Mark called the Chicago fire or police departments and see if they would like to see them ?

There is not anything loud buzzy enough for me to hear it -_- that wouldn't help me, at all.
obviously not for "completely" deaf people....

My hearing aids don't work for me anymore, but when they DID one of the first things I noticed about digitals was they actually block out the sound of a smoke detector, and the fire alarms they have in public places, but those usually have flashing lights at least.
that can be modified by an audiologist not to filter it out.

We have a house alarm but I still don't have anything that will alert me when I don't have my CI in. Sadly this is a huge reminder to get this taken care of. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

there is an alert system for deaf to tell you specifically what such as doorbell, fire alarm, phone, etc.

cl-alcombo.jpg

or... you could get a hearing dog.

Call your fire department and see if they give out alarms for deaf and hoh people. I should have one in my bedroom and hallway.

I am deeply saddened by the news of Mark's passing. My thoughts and prayers are with friends and family. :-(

I am shocked about this forum. RIP. I wish I met him when we visited Chicago.

after checking dozens of different space heaters from amazon including cheapest one... they are all equipped with "tip-over protection" and "automatic safety shut-off system".

this is horrible.... 2 ADers have died from lack of proper fire safety equipment for deaf. very very upsetting....

We have two of them and that's correct about tip-over protection which they have switch at bottom of space heater.

BUT space heater was too close to clothes or bed which cause fire risk. Here a picture.
hqdefault.jpg

My condolences to Mark and his family. Thank you Angel1989 for posting to let us know about the situation. Please continue to keep us updated.

A request is granted to make this thread sticky for a while.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back