Cheerleader

I think Cheerleader is sport.

We may seen Cheerleader contest at ESPN or FoxSport show. :)

:gives: abt the cheerleaders.. cheerleader sucks but it is a sport.. u can see that in tv.. GIVE ME A P-R-I-D-E YAY!!!!! lol

Cheerleaders are more like a Cheer Sports. I never joined in Cheerleader because it looks more like for Girls who doesn't want their nails to break.

I am more of a Softball and Volleyball Chick! who doesn't give a damn about my nails being broken LOL!

There you go, Cheri!! I played softball, basketball, rugby, soccer and volleyball in my school.. It's fun than yelling, but it is more fun to get moviates and actives.

well I was cheerleader when I was in Jr h.s. hehe I also played softball, volleyball, basketball and swimming. Cheerleader sometimes was fun but alot of work. Miss the old times!!

CrazyRedHeadWV said:
There you go, Cheri!! I played softball, basketball, rugby, soccer and volleyball in my school.. It's fun than yelling, but it is more fun to get moviates and actives.

heheh! Yep u are right its better than Yelling; ur voice end up sore from all that yelling..Softball and Volleyball or any other Sports.. only time you yell during Volleyball when U want to hit the ball U would yell out "I got it" or wave ur hands up in the air for deaf people to see that you have the ball.

Some Guys think softballs girls are sexy in their Uniform. :ty:

That is right.

Cheering, yelling, and hollering, it give more sore throat. Playing softball, soccer, basketball or whatever, the only thing you save your throat, but get your legs all bruises or scratches, but I don't mind...

Cheerleading is a sport-- an added bonus to another team (football, etc) :) Cos it has competitions and all-- and the team works very, very hard. Hell, the cheerleading coach I know makes her cheerleaders run laps from what I've seen ;)

Cheerladers loves attention for FOOTBALL PLAYERS who have hunk guy... (chuckles)

Sorta of part of sports too.

Interesting...cheerleading has always been classified as a sport -- but in my opinion, I reckon it's not. Just a cheering squad. :)

Yeah I agree, I think it's just a cheering squad who doesn't want to get dirty like other sports do....heh

I'm sorry, but cheerleading is NOT a sport.

Main Entry: cheer·lead·er
Pronunciation: 'chir-"lE-d&r
Function: noun
: one that calls for and directs organized cheering (as at a football game)

Main Entry: 2cheer
Function: verb
transitive senses
1 a : to instill with hope or courage : COMFORT -- usually used with up b : to make glad or happy -- usually used with up
2 : to urge on or encourage especially by shouts <cheered the team on>
3 : to applaud with shouts
intransitive senses
1 obsolete : to be mentally or emotionally disposed
2 : to grow or be cheerful : REJOICE -- usually used with up
3 : to utter a shout of applause or triumph
- cheer·er noun

Looks like someone just got pwned by m-w.com. Cheerleaders organize cheering, and last I heard organizing cheers wasnt a sport. Sorry folks, but just because teenagers get ornery over your short skirts doesn't mean you're playing a sport. A sport = competition. Running around with your butt showing is not a sport, although I must admit it is visually entertaining.

:rofl:, :gives:, yes, the hot cheerleaders are pleasing to watch, and nope it is not a sport, its just dancers who went retarded, and they are basically just "special fans" who has the privileges to go on the court and cheer, My school's athletic director says it is not a sport therefore over age kids are able to particpate in cheerleading. So, it is not a sport.

ignorance

As a university level cheerleader, i have to say my biggest problem with comments in this thread is the lack of knowledge.

People make claims and form oponions about cheerleading (and other things) when really they know nothing about it...do your research!

groups who "shake their asses in short skirts" and are really only dancers, or just there to yell at other teams are POM SQUADS or DANCE TEAMS.... now while i do have respect for what pom squads and dance teams do, it is NOT cheerleading.

Cheerleading is a highly physical activity focused around "STUNTING" -- the lifting, tossing, catching, spinning and flipping of humans. And it is actually an extremely competetive industry! I was shocked when someone said cheerleading is not a sport because the teams don't compete - have you never heard of NCA (national cheerleading association) UCA (universal cheerleading association) or PCA (power cheerleading athletics) all three companies host hundreds of cheerleading competetions a year! some of which have upwards of 200 teams entered - can you name any other sport that has competetions the size of that? 200 teams, with roughly 25 people per team would equal 5000 athletes in one competetion!

and as for cheerleading being for people who don't want to break their nails - that is just ridiculous! it is the most hands on activity i've ever done, and i have played soccer, basketball, and volleyball in highschool. As a matter of fact, fingernails that can be seen over the top of the finger are strictly forbidden - the last thing a top wants is to be caught and have claw marks all over her back!

cheerleaders are disrespected and misunderstood way too often, the last thing we need are claims made by people who clearly don't know what they're talking about!

This is just meant to be a bit of education, i don't mean to be mean or anything so please don't take it that way! :)

As for cheerleading being a sport, i myself am undecided...it is an incredibly demanding physical activity and it does compete...i feel it's up to each person to define it as a sport or not....if you consider gymnastics, figure skating, and other judged events sports, i feel you MUST consider cheerleading one too...but if a sport is only a game to you, something where two teams go directly against each other and there is a difinitive score, than cheerleading isn't...but neither is gymnastics, or figure skating, or so on...

thanks! :)

Last edited:
Xero said:
Cheerleading is not a sport. Screw the movie "Bring it on". I have yet to see a high school actually have cheerleading competitions, and I'm not counting the Deaf tourney's (Clerc, CSSD ect...)

I don't see cheerleading "teams" going on to state competition, and actually competing for "best cheer squad" or whatever.

And don't EVEN give me this -- Cheerleader is sport, because they got same uniform as other sport teams. They got their own COACH. They do exercise and work out. They do competition with other team. Team work.

The Academic bowl students have Uniforms, a coach. They practice/work out, they compete against other teams, and require team work and strategy. . . yet they're not a sport team.

In my definition. . . cheerleading is a disturbance. Generally cute girls in skimpy outfits doing those little jumps and oh-so-suggestive dances.

Actually California School for the Deaf, Fremont went to State Competition.. So were Riverside, I think.. As i see, you are from Indiana as I was a graduate of Indiana Deaf School, ISD cheerleader squad in the 80's under Mary Kovatch used to compete in NCA which known as National Cheerleader assoc. And yes cheerleadering is a sport!

Uni Cheerleader said:
As a university level cheerleader, i have to say my biggest problem with comments in this thread is the lack of knowledge.

People make claims and form oponions about cheerleading (and other things) when really they know nothing about it...do your research!

groups who "shake their asses in short skirts" and are really only dancers, or just there to yell at other teams are POM SQUADS or DANCE TEAMS.... now while i do have respect for what pom squads and dance teams do, it is NOT cheerleading.

Cheerleading is a highly physical activity focused around "STUNTING" -- the lifting, tossing, catching, spinning and flipping of humans. And it is actually an extremely competetive industry! I was shocked when someone said cheerleading is not a sport because the teams don't compete - have you never heard of NCA (national cheerleading association) UCA (universal cheerleading association) or PCA (power cheerleading athletics) all three companies host hundreds of cheerleading competetions a year! some of which have upwards of 200 teams entered - can you name any other sport that has competetions the size of that? 200 teams, with roughly 25 people per team would equal 5000 athletes in one competetion!

and as for cheerleading being for people who don't want to break their nails - that is just ridiculous! it is the most hands on activity i've ever done, and i have played soccer, basketball, and volleyball in highschool. As a matter of fact, fingernails that can be seen over the top of the finger are strictly forbidden - the last thing a top wants is to be caught and have claw marks all over her back!

cheerleaders are disrespected and misunderstood way too often, the last thing we need are claims made by people who clearly don't know what they're talking about!

This is just meant to be a bit of education, i don't mean to be mean or anything so please don't take it that way! :)

As for cheerleading being a sport, i myself am undecided...it is an incredibly demanding physical activity and it does compete...i feel it's up to each person to define it as a sport or not....if you consider gymnastics, figure skating, and other judged events sports, i feel you MUST consider cheerleading one too...but if a sport is only a game to you, something where two teams go directly against each other and there is a difinitive score, than cheerleading isn't...but neither is gymnastics, or figure skating, or so on...

thanks! :)

good points/perspectives :thumb:

Last edited:
i definitely think cheerleading is a sport. by the way those pictures Uni cheerleader post are the ones i alway wanted to try but deaf school forbid it :( afraid parents would sue us....

Cheerleading is HARD work. We do get bruises trust me on that... how do u think cheerleaders like that can do it so high and so confidently? talent? no.. practice.. and practice means lot of failed attempts. it also includes lot of excerises and studying the dancing (memorizing) and we have to work as a team or it wont work. Sports basicailly is about teamwork, excerise and fun. (cheerleading definitely is fun :-D)

yea i used to be a cheerleader when i was in high school

Back