Change of Heart (Mind) regarding CIs

I understand.

but I also said, they should have the opportunity to learn to speak.

I am sorry for being off topic.

but I was referring to your frustration of not being able to communicate with hearing people.

Hearing aids, CI, Speech therapy, Is all great. but... You will still be deaf in the hearing folks eyes.

No matter if they are your best friend or not. They know. They see. As for the public (other people that may not know you) You may or may not understand what they are saying. That is why I feel that the opportunity of oral approach should be there.

Hee, hee... you know... My Fair Lady, the classic movie. I watch this movie again and again. The story concerns Eliza Doolittle, a poorest flower girl who takes speech lessons from professor Henry Higgins so that she can pass as a lady (probably opening her floral shop afterward). She did pass as a "queen." I can make to be a hearing, probably a famous country singer in the hearing folks eyes -- IF I really want to focus and work harder to "accomplish" reaching the goals. I can fool anyone if I feel like to. Let's say hello, American Idol! When is the next audition? Hee... hee...

The matter of fact is that I lost a lot of Deaf people because I disagree many things, pretty much. They prefer to stay in an aquarium tank among other crabs that keep pulling crabs down, as known as The Crab Theory. I finally got away and some extra freedom, at last. Figuratively, I am saying that they prefer living in their own world, which is fine with me. Their choices. I happen to want to climb higher and enjoy the benefits that Life offers that wasn't existed in an aquarium tank. For my sake, I had to get out of negativity they created the world. Now... OOPS!! I realize that I got my wish, *POOF* I ended up in the hearing world without spotting a deafie in a mile. Ugh uh? Then, I am considering the CIs and the benefits, the more I go higher like an eagle soaring higher. Get the picture? Some extra more freedom in my personal definition, I'd ask for the hearing opportunity to move up a new level.

I don't mind living a double life. Of course, my best friends and family know me personally. I know that. I am risking the Life changing for the better. I will be showering with blessings that my friends and family supporting me and helping me going through. One friend is developing the singing lessons for me... how silly!! I am really appreciated their eagerness getting involved.

True, but I couldn't take advantage of lipreading and other visual cues like sighted CI users can.

Postlingual deafness doesn't always determine how well a person will do with a CI. Even postlinguals like myself can do poorly.

I know 3 people who are prelingually Deaf. They communicated in ASL and could not voice for themselves yet they learned how to use their CIs to the fullest extent possible. All of them can speak, talk on the phone and hear in background noise.

This just goes to show that length of deafness is not always a determining factor as to how well someone will perform with a CI.

I remember Bear who was a postlingual saying that she did better with her HAs than with her CI.

I know 3 people who are prelingually Deaf. They communicated in ASL and could not voice for themselves yet they learned how to use their CIs to the fullest extent possible. All of them can speak, talk on the phone and hear in background noise.

This just goes to show that length of deafness is not always a determining factor as to how well someone will perform with a CI
Yes, I know. Although I wonder if part of the sucess with prelingal deaf people might have to do with the fact that most prelingal deaf people lost their hearing. Their brains still somewhat remember how to process sound....make sense?
And I never implied that hearing from CI is perfect or like what hearing people hear. It's prettty much a given that most implantees are functionally hoh with the CI.

Yes, I know. Although I wonder if part of the sucess with prelingal deaf people might have to do with the fact that most prelingal deaf people lost their hearing. Their brains still somewhat remember how to process sound....make sense?
And I never implied that hearing from CI is perfect or like what hearing people hear. It's prettty much a given that most implantees are functionally hoh with the CI.

I never said that you claimed CI hearing was perfect. <confused>

Just because someone has a little access to sound does not mean they will hear well with a CI especially if they've never been able to interpret sounds in the first place. It may help, but it doesn't guarantee that they will be star performers with a CI. I know several prelingually Deaf people who were born completely deaf that can understand speech and talk on the phone. That just goes to show how different results can be regardless of the length of time a person has been deaf.

There are many others like Bear as well. They may be an exception, but they still exist.

Yes, there are. And their stories are all the evidence that is needed for the question a poster asked not long ago. I remember a hearing parent that is new to the whole CI experience asking for some proof of anyone who heard worse with their CI than with their HAs. While they may not be in the majority, they do exist, and they shouldn't be ignored when one is trying to make a well informed decision. Denial does no one any good.

Yes, there are. And their stories are all the evidence that is needed for the question a poster asked not long ago. I remember a hearing parent that is new to the whole CI experience asking for some proof of anyone who heard worse with their CI than with their HAs. While they may not be in the majority, they do exist, and they shouldn't be ignored when one is trying to make a well informed decision. Denial does no one any good.

Exactly.

DD,

Note that I did not say my CI hearing was perfect.
Ah....looks like you did.
And Hear Again, end hearing results vary significently with both CI and HA.

Ah....looks like you did.
And Hear Again, end hearing results vary significently with both CI and HA.

Where did I say my CI hearing was perfect? <confused>

If you can show me where I said that, I will apologize and retract my statement because CI hearing is not considered perfect.

I'm well aware of the fact that the success rate of using a bimodal approach varies from person to person. After all, I used CI/HA for 6 months post activation until the hearing in my nonimplanted ear reached the point where I could no longer tell when my hearing aid was on or off.

Greetings,

I'd like to reach those people have CIs, or consider getting CIs that were "Deaf Militants," ASL Militants" and those Deafies graduated from the Deaf residential schools (ASL users), even attended (or attending) Gallaudet University. I happen to be one of those above is considering the option of getting CIs. So, I'd like to get in touch with those people that fall in the category stated above.

I am not interested into arguing or fighting with people who oppose CIs. I gave up on those militants who opposed CIs. They have no idea how I feel about being stuck in the hearing crowd for a long time without a sight of Deaf person in the public every day. Let's say that I haven't spotted a Deafie in my area for 10 months. Strangely, I am losing my sanity for not using my ASL and very heavily on written communication -- Thought I give this an opportunity to get CIs and to be part of the hearing world. No more "left-out-from-the-crowd" every day. It's getting so old and tiring of being lonely, alone, left-out all times, and a nice break from daily writings. It's time to end my experience and come up with a solution.

So, I am interested to meet those people that I wanted to get to know and how did they decide to get one (changed of heart/mind). I am looking forward to hearing from ya.

Endy

I know how you feel. I don't know a single deaf person myself.

See, and that would be an example. I asked and asked, but no one had provided a name before now. I still haven't heard the story, and haven't heard from actual users who say they hear worse.

See, and that would be an example. I asked and asked, but no one had provided a name before now. I still haven't heard the story, and haven't heard from actual users who say they hear worse.

You have been given the names of more than one AD member that falls into that category. What you asked for was for someone to tell you of a single person who heard worse with their CI than with their HA. Therefore, your request has been filled. Why is it that when your questions get answered, and you don't like the answer, you then try to qualify and change the original question?

You have been given the names of more than one AD member that falls into that category. What you asked for was for someone to tell you of a single person who heard worse with their CI than with their HA. Therefore, your request has been filled.

Yes, and I will seek out an opportinity to hear the story from that person.

Yes, and I will seek out an opportinity to hear the story from that person.

I would refer you to Bear but she hasn't been active for a while. You can always search posts by Bear to find the revelant post.

Back