Celebs who have dated or gone into relationships with deaf people

cateyes

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there were any celebrities who have dated or gone into relationships with deaf people?

Two people that I know so far are ...

William Hurt who was in the relationship with Marlee Matlin for a year or so... she broke up with him because of his alcoholicism ... he was in the "Children of a Lesser God" movie with her

Emma Samm who had a deaf boyfriend in Southern California ... I don't know his name but I saw a picture of them together in the magazine and he looked like a skinny Mexican guy with moustache and a mullet hairstyle... does anyone know his name and what school he went to? Emma was in "Dynasty" and "The Colbys" tv shows. She broke up with this deaf guy and went on to marry a hearing man in England, I think.

Marlee Matlin also dated Richard Dean Anderson in 1988 Marlee Matlin and Richard Anderson - Dating, Gossip, News, Photos

She also dated Rob Lowe, River Phoenix and David Kelley. This part surprised me.

Lucy Hale is dating David Henrie.

Deanna Bray is married to Troy Kotsur (deaf actor)

Nothing on Deanna Bray, Amy Ecklund, Phyllis Frelich, Terrylene Sachetti, Shoshannah Stern, Michelle Banks, Rebecca Anne Withey, Christine Firkins, Jody Stevenson, Tami Lee Santimyer, Sofya Gollan(Australia), Freda Norman(UK), Trix Bruce in that whosdatedwho.com.

Nothing on Tristan Thunderbolt, Norman Weiss, Bernard Bragg, Ryan Lane, Anthony Natale, C.J. Jones, Howard Seago, Lou Ferrigno, Tyrone Giordano, Robert Daniels, Iosif Schneiderman(Russian), Patrick Graybill, Raymond Luczak, Frank DaTolla, Christopher Corrigan, Ed Waterstreet, Horst Dittrich, Richard Kendall, Darren Fudenske, Dean Sheridan, Justin Callaway,
John Maucere, Brian Kilpatrick, Mike Canfield, Bruce Hilbok, Ty Giordano, Werner Mössler in that whosdatedwho.com

I didn't know that Rob Lowe is deaf in one ear - possibly from mumps when he was 8 or 9 months old

I am tired of surfing for more actors/actresses but I am pleased to see so many names. I am sure that some of them aren't that famous but they did acted in plays.

<<Marlee Matlin also dated Richard Dean Anderson in 1988 Marlee Matlin and Richard Anderson - Dating, Gossip, News, Photos

She also dated Rob Lowe, River Phoenix and David Kelley. This part surprised me.>>

Wow, I didn't know that MM dated those guys. Thanks for sharing this. I find it hard to beleive that she dated River Phoenix because it said that he was in a relationship with actress Martha Plimpton from 1986-1989 and he dated MM in 1988... could it be they had an affair??? If that was the case, then why hadn't it become a scandal? I doubt their dating ever happened... I think it was an error because River's bio never mentioned he dated MM.

River Phoenix - Biography

River Phoenix and Marlee Matlin - Dating, Gossip, News, Photos

*ahem* Sho Stern, i know her since high school. Im pretty much hanging out much with Stern family. Her youngest brother, Bren played basketball, football and baseball with me before he transferred to University. Her oldest sister, Louise is brillant lady with adventure life.

Marlee was with River Phoenix? :eek: I had no idea!

I appreciated replies to my question and I welcome any comments as to who the deaf/HOH celebrities are dating but I'd like to clarify my question as it seems to be misunderstood as being the opposite. The question was actually in reference to hearing celebrities who have dated or gone into relationships with deaf people who sign in ASL (regardless of whether these deaf people are celebs themselves or not). I just want to know the names of hearing celebs who have learned ASL and deaf culture as a result of dating the deaf people over a longer period of time. I only knew two hearing celebs who have dated deaf people ... William Hurt and Emma Samms and now I believe that Richard Anderson and David Kelley have dated Marlee Matlin and maybe Rob Lowe but I'm not too sure about River Phoenix.

Emma Samm who had a deaf boyfriend in Southern California ... I don't know his name but I saw a picture of them together in the magazine and he looked like a skinny Mexican guy with moustache and a mullet hairstyle... does anyone know his name and what school he went to? Emma was in "Dynasty" and "The Colbys" tv shows. She broke up with this deaf guy and went on to marry a hearing man in England, I think.

It was John Maucere.

I saw him with her when they visited Gally. They even used a limo to bring them to the Gally campus from their hotel. They sat together with their hands held during the Gally Mens basketball game.

I just want to know the names of hearing celebs who have learned ASL and deaf culture as a result of dating the deaf people over a longer period of time.

I know that Henry Winkler is a good friend of Marilee Matlin but I don't know if he knows ASL or not.

i don't think marlee are dated river i think he was still with martha plimpton all through his teen years. then he dated samantha mathis during the time he past.

I think it would be fun if Drew Barrymore dated Tyrone Giordano!

Don't know why I thought this. *shrugs sheepishly*

*ahem* Sho Stern, i know her since high school. Im pretty much hanging out much with Stern family. Her youngest brother, Bren played basketball, football and baseball with me before he transferred to University. Her oldest sister, Louise is brillant lady with adventure life.

wow cool. I just finished watching whole series of Jericho. I thought she was kinda cute in it!

wow cool. I just finished watching whole series of Jericho. I thought she was kinda cute in it!

*laughs* she is. In high school, guys chased her for her beauty...Cold case, have you seen, yes?

bad news, she's taken.

*laughs* she is. In high school, guys chased her for her beauty...Cold case, have you seen, yes?

bad news, she's taken.
I don't doubt about the guys (I guess you were one of them, too? Haha) chasing her for her beauty...:) Is she still with the same dude?

I don't doubt about the guys (I guess you were one of them, too? Haha) chasing her for her beauty...:) Is she still with the same dude?

haha, naw, i dont chased Sho. I chased only few that has sparking personality. I dont go for cheerleaders, because snob personality has shot me down. UNLESS, cheerleader have a great personality that goes with sense of humor, i'm happy to take it.

I cannot answer that question due to her request of privacy since we're closer, so, truly apologized.

My brother was on the same cheerleading sqad as Sho at Gallaudet. He dropped her one time and she hurt her back. OOOPS! He kept telling me that I have chatted with her many times but I dont remember. :dunno2:

I heard that guy in Macgyyer married a deaf girl.. but I have to look it up.

edited: I looked it up, he was never married.

Back