captioning vs signing

I second what Jillio said. They really serve two purposes and in an ideal world we would have both.

Also, consider your audience. One of my pet peeves is all the captioning on the children's shows. Even the hearing kids can't read well enough and fast enough to catch it all. We need to see signers on Blue's Clues and Sesame Street. Adding the captioning as well, does support literacy development, but still allows the children access to the language through the signer.

I don't know sign, even though I have been hoh since I was 5. I live in a hearing community and have never been around other hoh or deaf people so sign is not really helpful to me. That being said, I love captions! I love reading everything! I am a super fast reader so I can follow along with almost anything. I understand that it would be a tough decision to make though.

I don't know sign, even though I have been hoh since I was 5. I live in a hearing community and have never been around other hoh or deaf people so sign is not really helpful to me. That being said, I love captions! I love reading everything! I am a super fast reader so I can follow along with almost anything. I understand that it would be a tough decision to make though.

What you just said makes me curious about the reason for your foray onto this site.

What you just said makes me curious about the reason for your foray onto this site.
I have seen quite a few oral deaf around here...I don't have a problem with it. I think of AD as a "deaf" forum with a mostly "Deaf" population discussing largely "Deaf" issues but certainly with "deaf" members and content as well.

I have seen quite a few oral deaf around here...I don't have a problem with it. I think of AD as a "deaf" forum with a mostly "Deaf" population discussing largely "Deaf" issues but certainly with "deaf" members and content as well.

I don't have a problem with it, either; just because I asked doesn't mean I'm zeroing in on anything negative. Everyone is different so I simply asked out of curiosity. I also do not like the D/d stuff unless its technical for a purpose limited in scope because, by and large, it doesn't get us anywhere in terms of us being "one big happy family".

I don't have a problem with it, either; just because I asked doesn't mean I'm zeroing in on anything negative. Everyone is different so I simply asked out of curiosity. I also do not like the D/d stuff unless its technical for a purpose limited in scope because, by and large, it doesn't get us anywhere in terms of us being "one big happy family".

Agreed. Sometimes the distinctions are necessary for technical purposes, but for social purposes, they really aren't.

Back